Fly till you drop without recharging

Advert

Peters post (partially) reminds me of an English inventor in the 17th century- I can't remember his name- who was working on powered flight. 

He basically gave up in disgust claiming that powered flight was imposible until mankind was capable of getting the power of 100 horses in a beer mug.

It turned out he was almost exactly correct in everything he was doing- it was just the power wasn't available to him- exactly as he said!

Ben: yes, fusion happens on earth - in a hydrogen bomb.  It also happens in a small way in certain experiments but it's a dead loss as a power source, as the power needed to run the experiment is much greater than the fusion power created.

What other element will they use? Don't know!  But what they'll be looking for is I guess one that's either easy to make or is a by-product of a nuclear reactor.  Plus (probably) multi-year half-life, and preferably a light-ish element (more electrons emitted per kilo than a heavy one).  Finally, it may be important what the isotope decays into, for e.g. the physical stability of the cell. S-35 decays into Chlorine-35, which is radiologically stable.

Edited By John Cole on 11/10/2009 09:44:06

PhilW: scientists DON'T say nothing can travel faster than light.  They say things can't travel faster than the universal propagation speed (or constant).  Light goes as fast as it can, and in a vacuum that's at the UPS.  So what's the point I'm making? It's that light goes slower when it's not in a vacuum.  Its speed is slowed in proportion to the refractive index.  So in water, light travels at about 75% of its speed in a vacuum. 

Remember the pictures of radioactive bits submerged in water, surrounded by a blue glow?  That blue glow is called Cherenkov radiation and is given off when particles (in this case mainly beta particles, see above) shoot through the water FASTER than the (local, in water) speed of light.