Fly till you drop without recharging

Hi
Just been on another forum and picked up on  an article about the future of elec flying. They were on about nuclear batteries that will maybe need recharging every 10 yrs. Fly till you are ready for bed, sleep fly again,sleep fly again and no recharging
Wish I knew the stockist, maybe in 10 yrs
Garry

Edited By Garry Pollard on 09/10/2009 21:08:22

Advert

You all hink im daft lol just cos I live in Grantham ( 3  nil Timbo ) so I have copyied the link
Good thought about  about taking the club out if you didnt like them. Puts a new slant on terrorisum though
Dont know about not being able to afford them I cant afford the lipos now Tony
Garry

I am reminded of a cartoon from Aeromodeller back in the early 50s. It showed two modellers with free flight constest models looking at a power station and one of them is saying to the other.

"If only we could get all that power into something the size of a wallnut."

Edited By Peter Miller on 10/10/2009 08:44:25

Poly,
On the basis of your Einsteinian calcs above I think you should knock the battery together, I'll sort out the airframe and we'll let Timbo worry about finding the right ESC / Motor combo.
Timbo, I'm not daft...I've worked out that the power-train maybe a bit heavy so I've strengthened the airframe a little - it's around 2.5 tonnes but I haven't covered it yet!  

Peter's posting reminded me of a letter to aeromodeller sometime in the '50s, which went along the lines:-

"A model with infinite power would achieve infinite speed.  According to Einstein, it would then possess infinite mass, and have infinite gravitational pull.  We've all seen what happens when a plane collides with earth, how much worse would it be if the Earth collided with a plane!  Infinitely powered aircraft should be banned immediately."

We're getting there folks!

Nuclear batteries (or cells) won't require lead shielding.  In a last-ditch attempt to win the Nobel Prize for Being Boring, let me explain how they work.

Atoms comprise a tiny nucleus, surrounded by a cloud of (one or more) electrons.  The nucleus comprises a jumble of protons and neutrons (except hydrogen-1, just 1 proton).  A nuclear cell by definition is powered by something happening in the nucleus.

High-energy nuclear stuff includes Fission (splitting heavy atoms like Uranium, as in power stations and "atomic" bombs) and Fusion (joining together light atoms like Hydrogen, as in the sun and the H-bomb).  Nuclear cells don't use either of these processes.

"Radiation" (strictly Ionising Radiation) comprises 3 types associated with the nucleus: alpha rays, beta rays and gamma rays.  A fourth type of ionising radiation (X-rays) comes from the electron cloud, not the nucleus.  Gamma rays (and X-rays) are bits of pure electromagnetic energy (like light and radio waves).  Gamma rays (and particularly high-energy ones) are hard to stop ("shield"); that's what you use lead (and lots of concrete) for.

Alpha rays and Beta rays are actually high-speed particles: an alpha particle is just the fast-moving nucleus of a helium-4 atom, and a beta particle is just a fast-moving electron.  Electron!  Now we're getting there!

A beta particle is emitted when (effectively) a neutron in the nucleus turns into a proton-electron pair, and the electron "escapes".  OK, that's a bit of a simplification - but I think it will do.  The electron escapes because a neutron is heavier than a proton + electron, and the mass-difference is turned into energy (E=MC-squared), some of which is used by the electron to fly off.  The rest goes into re-arranging the remaining bits of the nucleus, often into a temporary unstable state.  If and when this collapses into a lower-energy stable state, a gamma ray is emitted.

And that's how nuclear cells work: they comprise a thin layer of a very-radioative isotope, but one chosen to have a beta particle of low energy (and preferably not one which emits a gamma ray).  Low energy as it's the beta particles (electrons) themselves that we want, not their kinetic energy.  And low-energy ones are easier to catch.  In the University of Missouri paper Missouri press release the isotope used was Sulfur-35 - no gamma ray, max. beta energy 0.167 MeV.  Beta particles of that energy are stopped by just 24 cm of air (or a sheet of tissue paper), so no lead shielding needed!

The thin layer of S-35 (on a conductive substrate) is coated with (in this case liquid) semiconductor and then a conductive "harvesting" plate.  The beta particles are trapped as thay are absorbed by the semiconductor or plate.  OK, now stop calling them beta particles and just call them electrons!  So the electrons jump out of the S-35 and are harvested by the conductive plate.  They can't flow back to the substrate, as  they would have to go the "wrong way" through the semiconductor.  So the substrate becomes the positive plate of the cell, and the harvesting plate becomes the negative plate.  And that's all there is to it. 

The technology of the demo cells isn't going to be much use to us though: S-35 has a half-life of just 57 days, so after a year there's not much left.  It's not that easy to make, either.  Practical cells will need to use something else.