Where do you fly?

Marko

hi all this pic is where i fly in chelmsford essex . lt would be nice to have a corner of this website for pics of our club fields you never know whats around the corner l was chating to baz biggles and he flys 5 mins from where l live and l didnt know it was there

Advert

Hi Paddy   put some pics of you club on lets get this thread working
 we all talk to each other  but do we know where we all fly if your club has restrictions
there might be another better club nearby when you renew your fees

Edited By Mark Wakeling on 25/10/2009 22:26:36

Unaware of a club within five minuits driving? Pah! Thats nothing! I only just found out that a club relocated to within 4 minuits walking of where I live about 2 months ago. It would be great if the RCM&E  crew made some form of map showing the flying sights up clubs in the UK (Hint, hint, nudge, nudge mr Ashby). I bet there are load of situations like this!

There are about 3 clubs between me and my flying site. Wouldn't dream of changing club though! I really like my club, and tbqh, at the end of the day it would only shorten the journey by about 10 minutes.
Regarding the map, my BMFA Area website has a map on it allready, might be worth a check to see if yours has.

Posted by Ben Mullins on 02/11/2009 19:27:09:

Regarding the map, my BMFA Area website has a map on it allready, might be worth a check to see if yours has.

The BMFA  have developed a national "club map" using Google Maps which should, it seems, be available in the near(?) future on the BMFA website.  It was mentioned in Club Bulletin 188 (back page) with an opt-out available for clubs that did not want their location publically revelaled.  The closing date for opt-outs was 16th October.

• 1 month later...
in regards to having a club near me i dont drive but i live right on the edge of the country side in bedworth warwickshire and the nearist club to me is the other side of nuneaton in middle of knowhere i might add ! and i dont fancy riding the bus with all my tackle i fly both glo and electric and fly my electric in the park just down the road i dont even know if thats against the law but ive had no problems yet but i prefere to fly ic but have now were to fly ive checked every were for a closer club with no results so what would be the best way to start my own if i can get permision from a local farmer ????? any input would be usefull thank you !!

In another place, this has been in operation for quite a while. The main problem is that quite a few clubs have no wish for thier sites to be added.

Reasons I have heard,
Private club
Limited membership
Possible target for "vandalism"
Very or just, limited flying permission

I would really like a compehensive Map with Map references. As this would have saved me quite a few miles travel, searching for a club to visit.

Posted by flytilbroke on 05/12/2009 18:36:39:
In another place, this has been in operation for quite a while. The main problem is that quite a few clubs have no wish for thier sites to be added.

Reasons I have heard,
Private club
Limited membership
Possible target for "vandalism"
Very or just, limited flying permission

I would really like a compehensive Map with Map references. As this would have saved me quite a few miles travel, searching for a club to visit.

You might also add 'small mindedness' to the list

I don't think it is always a case of small mindedness. On one hand there are clubs who want and need the publicity to increase their membership.
On the other, there are flyers who have built up a relationship with a landowner, sometimes to the level that the landowner is willing to mow and roll a field and improve access and parking. There may be mutual agreements as to times and types and weights of aircraft that can be flown.
The last thing that they need is one gatecrasher who can undo the work of years just by entering a field without permission.
Some people think that if they have heard that models are being flown at a site they can just turn up when there is no one there and do what they like, even without any insurance.
 I have seen it recently.
 And the person responsible could not understand why he was politely asked to leave!

I think the problem with restricted membership is also coming from the fact that nobody would like to wait half of the afternoon for his turn to fly. In our club we have the restriction of 4+1 models in the air at the same time (4 if they are sports/aerobatic and 5 if there is minimum one glider/powered glider) as well as a maximum flight time of 15 minutes. Currently we are approximately 130 members, so the waiting time is not an issue as I never found more than 20 people at the same time on the field.
The location may be a bit exotic for you - I fly at Oggionno, next to the lake como in the north of Italy. Who is interested may have a look at http://www.alalecco.it - even if the site is in Italian I think it is possible to find the photo gallery....

I am joining a club at Maleme airfield in north west Crete. This is a military base still and I have to get a pass from the club so the guards will let me on to it. I will not take pictures as they are very sensitive here about it ( remember the aircraft spotters on the mainland ) despite the base being just a barren site next to the beach with two disused concrete runways with grass around them, with a few old fighter jets rotting near the gate.
If you have read about the battle of Crete you will realise the important part this airfield played during the 2nd world war in the fall of Crete to the Germans. It is alongside the dried up Tavronitis river where the first German paratroops and gliders landed. In sight is the German war cemetery, where the famous Cretan runner eventually worked. 
I have not yet flown my Seagull Decathlon but I am just as keen to get onto the exact spot where the Junkers landed as I am for my maiden flight. 

• 4 months later...
Thought I'd revive this thread with some pics of my patch:

Still from Gum Cam video:

And these are from ground level, showing the slope!:

A model-sized version of this place, perhaps?

I don't make things any easier for myself by having taildraggers and no trikes

Pete

Does anyone know if the ofiicial BMFA interactive site is available yet?

I do know of an unofficial download, from a German modeller, Arno Bertz, that can be used to populate Goggle Earth. The main file is international, but the UK section contains about 200 model airfields, he hopes to add another 150 shortly.

Mike