Habu EDF jet

Tim Mackey

Advert

If you add up the equipment that's in it, the airframe doesn't really cost alot at all. In fact for £100 you can now buy just the airframe if you so wish and put all cheap chinese stuff in it instead.

Duncan

Edited By Duncan36 on 07/07/2010 15:39:10

Posted by Gaz Elliott on 07/07/2010 17:07:05:
However, my main question is: Why is this plane called "HABU" ?

I think it maybe the link to the picture of snakes on the tail and wing....just a guess!!!

Edited By Gaz Elliott on 07/07/2010 17:07:57

Ah yes, but what came first, the snake sticker or the name?  

Or the fact that IMHO it looks very much like the Viper jet? 

I think the Phase3 EF-16 v2 is far better value for money and it is scale(ish) too.

Pete 

Edited By Dizz on 07/07/2010 18:28:22

Certain products ( in all walks of life ) do command a higher price than so called equivalents or similar - and sometimes its justified, and other times its not.
I dont think its quite fair to brand something as "really poor value" when you dont actually own one - several people commented that the Alfa Sabre was "expensive for just a small foamy"...however when they actually saw it close up, and realised the construction and quality involved, and then saw it perform too - most changed their opinion quickly!
I dont have one of these, so will refrain from making comment about its VFM

we all know horizons stuff is really good ,but its about personal choice , i can not warrant paying £250 for some foam considering what i can buy me else where!! you just have to look at something and as nice as it is (and it is nice) when your hear the price you know in your gut its not worth it, but thats just a personal opinion and i also suppose it depends how much money you have to throw away, but its no surprise we have none at our club!!

i will buy a funjet  every time and save the money for that jet i want !! 

Edited By Lee Smalley on 07/07/2010 20:33:21

I didn't brand it as "really poor value" Tim,  just that I think the F16 is far better. 
How do you assess VFM when you are in the super market doing the weekly shop? 
Pete 

Edited By Dizz on 07/07/2010 23:07:04

Posted by Dizz on 07/07/2010 23:05:26:
I didn't brand it as "really poor value" Tim,  just that I think the F16 is far better. 
How do you assess VFM when you are in the super market doing the weekly shop? 
Pete 

Edited By Dizz on 07/07/2010 23:07:04

I never said that YOU did Pete  
Having spent 25 years as operations director in food retailing supermarkets I couldnt possibly comment LOL

The Habu is now available to download as an update for existing Phoenix RC users. Flys very well on Phoenix; hope the sim physics are correct, because she flys beautifully.

Considering this, and the high quality RTF package, its actually cheap (comparatively) and definitely less than butting all these component parts into a £100 foamy, (the 60 Switching BEC ESC, motor, fan, servoc, Rx etc etc.)

Its not that bad value for money when you actually see one fly, its got incredible performance, very jet like! Sadly the one I was watching at Middle Wallop went in with suspected radio failure in a spectacular cloud of confetti

Tom

PS - Anyone know where to get a Sapac Viper from in the UK?

Try CML Distribution, they are stocking the new 70mm F/G Hawk under the TopGun label.

I have a SAPAC Viperjet, hence my image tag thingy. Very Very nice sports jet. I ordered mine direct from SAPAC America, they then post it to you direct from the factory in China.

• 2 months later...
Was actually thinking about buying one of these machines but think I will wait after reading some of the comments here and look around at some of the other models on offer. My fixed wing RC experience so far has been the parkzone P-51 gunfighter which I thought was great till I bought the Foam Wot 4. It is still a nice model but the Wot is so nice to fly. Interesting reading that many of you think the Habu is a lot of money. Without knowing better I was going to buy it the only thing that was holding me back was having to buy several 4s batteries. May revisit the Squall 3C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
After a year of flying my Habu I noticed yesterday that the elevator servo horn splines were slipping (metal gear micro)  which could have made for an interesting flight. Easy to fit a new horn of course but perhaps a 'heads up' to anyone who flies their model a lot.

Still very impressed with this machine, such a clever design and so forgivving at slow speed too.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 13/02/2011 07:32:01

Don't know if its on this thread earlier, but the wing fixings on the Habu do get a bit loose after a while to the extent that mine fell out of the front fixing in flight, this is after a lot of use and abuse though, the fix I have now seen it to put a couple of rawle plugs and dry wall fixing screws through the wing into the fus, have not botherd to replace the Habu as I bought a Tomahawk Viperjet to put all the gear in, not saying to much against the Habu, but the Viperjet is so amazing in comparison.

Also the new Habu 32 is available as a JetCat P20 turbine conversion from Al's hobbies, the airframe is not available as of now, but should be in the shops by the end of Feb mid March.

Mike

• 1 year later...

i just bought a brand new HABU which had been lying about for a couple of years and fitted an R/X and a 3000ma 4 cell 35c battery,WOW what a great plane particularly as I only paid £125 for it.It took off easily from grass,it is very stable,very fast and makes the right noise and I believe there are quite a few in the shops at the right price now because they were a bit pricey when they came on the market.

Edited By David Ashby on 25/05/2012 21:12:29