Which 2.4GHz?

David perry 1

2.4GHz has been around a while now, and while my FF9 is not exactly going wrong, it looks tired and I need new receivers, crystals (remember them??) etc etc.  So, IF I was to change over to the blackmagic band, is there one provider which stands out from the crowd?    I like Futaba and I understand their menu systems, so I guess staying with them would make sense. Equally, I like the look of Spekrtum (JR??), but I have never used them.

Mind you, wwith everybody else on 2.4 the peg board for 35MHz is always free!

D

Advert

Hi David,
I've been using a Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz  for 18 months or so
and it has never been less than perfectly reliable.
I sometimes get the occasional glitch when flying with 35MHz,
especially with single conversion receivers, but 2.4 just
gives you a feeling of a solid locked-in radio link.
The Futaba receivers are not cheap (but check some of the
latest adverts!)  but I reckon they're probably worth the money!
They're a single piece unit too, with no satellite to worry about.

Your FF9 Tx is a Lexus to the 6EX's Ford so you would
probably want to look at one of Futaba's more upmarket sets.
You won't go wrong sticking with Futaba kit!

Cheers
Richard

FF6ex has served me well David.  Was looking at up grading to an FF7 combo (TX & RX- only).  But, then caught sight of the FF8 - ahhh !! All 2.4 Ghz..

But the RX's are expensives as a 'stand alone' purchase. 

Where as the Spectrum DX range offers more economical purchases of additional RX's.  And their TX's do look nice.  Plus there are other entries from different manufacture's.

I've decided to wait for the FF8.  Should have been here in September, should be here now !  About £430.00 rrp.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 12/11/2009 17:09:31

Hi David, your post is likely to kick off round 365 of the brand wars, the biggest issue seems to be the price of the Futaba receivers but if you check the latest adverts and hunt around the prices are starting to fall. It's basically a case of you pay your money and take your choice

Hi David,
I have just started out in this hobby so was buying from scratch. All the guys at our patch on 2.4 ghz  seem to be either Spectrum or Futaba so when I first went to the club asking for advice on what to buy I got told that the best way for me to decide was just which set felt more comfortable in my hands as both manufacturers supply great kit. I plumped for the Futaba FF7 which has certainly served me very well so far.
Agree with comments above about Futaba RX being more expensive to buy as a one off purchase though, although I have seen the R617FS advertised for £49 recently and seem to think there is a post on one of threads with a link.
My experience is that Futaba and Spectrum seem to be the best and its just a matter of personal preference between the two.
Lee

I personally use futaba and like it, apart from the receiver prices. I have found it very reliable. To be fair though, all of the 2.4 are pretty much as robust as each other as long as you don't get an unknown brand from a website that calles motors engines. Preference... Also consider if you like telemetry, cos the Jeti duple system can do all that shiznae.

there really is nothing to chose between them they all work and work well i only went the spektrum way as JR did not have a set out at that time on 2.4 gig and i have never liked the feel of a futaba the sit of my old X347 in the hands was soooo much better than a FF9  so when money permits DSX9 for me!!!

the only problem with going modular is that if you have an old set you are limited to model memorys you can have (although i think FF9 has campac to solve that)
thats why i never upgraded my 347

personally i do not forsee a need for telemetry in my day to day uses so it holds no interest for me

Posted by Lee Smalley on 13/11/2009 12:34:23:

personally i do not forsee a need for telemetry in my day to day uses so it holds no interest for me

Maybe not, but some people might be interested in having low Rx battery voltage alarms etc back on their Tx, if you fly electric you can also see how much "fuel" you've used etc.