45cc Black Horse Chipmunk 85" Electric conversion

I meant to mention that the film has slackened off quite badly, I guess with the change in humidity. Once the model is nearer completion i will go over it again with the iron fitted with one of my two year old daughters socks protecting the film. Just don't tell her I pinched one, I will blame the sock eating tumble dryer

Advert

The tail feathers have all been fitted, the fit was not terribly good and if you are doing this for IC you may want to build in a little more mechanical bonding, rather than purely rely on adhesive. I would say that despite the fit the alignment is spot on.

Made up the motor mount, i am toying with making it removable so that the model can be refitted with several different motor choices should i wish to sell the model at some stage.

With the motor temporarily clamped in the centre of the firewall you can see the motor is not very central in the cowl, with a little jiggling it can be alligned nicely.

More later
Cheers
Danny

Hi Tom, I have the two unnused 5S 5000 packs just lying around, if i want to use A123 i will have to slide them out of something else. So may go with 5S1P  5000 or if i need the nose weight 5s2P 10,000 Just have to suffer the prolonged charge times. Mind you a 10,000 pack will probably provide two or three flights

It will come down to the C of G I think.........

Cheers
Danny

I think you will need both packs for decent flight times, 1500W out of a 5s1p 5000 mAh pack will pull 85A, which will give you approximately 5 min of throttle controlled flight. On a 10A balance charger you will be able to re-charge again in 30 minutes, if you don't mind charging at 2C, you have got a 20C capable pack havn't you? On 5s2p 10000mAh you will get approx 10 min of flight, but have to wait longer to re-charge the packs, swings and roundabouts I guess, the joy of electric flight

Tom

Edited By Tom Foreman on 05/12/2009 16:41:49

Chris - been trying to summon the enthusiasm to finish the Raptor F22, been looking at it for the past couple of hours but still not physically touched it yet And still havn't decided what to do with a 120 size electric motor, toss up between a 1/4 scale aerobat or 1/6 scale war bird, do I really want to spend all that money on retracts!

Danny - Yeah I guess if your not going to be doing aeros and fast low passes you'll get longer, will look forward to the telemetry data.

Tom

Danny, sorry to go off topic for a sec, I'm sure you won't mind?

Tom, the Seagull Sea Fury comes complete with retracts and goes really well electric. 
Bring one to our funfly and we could fly 3 together.
On funflys, our date has changed for 2010. GMAC electric funfly is 24th/25th July.
We are also planning to get as many funfighter sized warbirds in the air as we can, just a bit of fun. Hope you fancy a visit?

Cheers
Chris

PS Something like Chippy - you dont need retracts  Very smart...

Wheres a moderator when you need one

Only kidding of course, I dont' mind an I can only second Chris's comments on the Fury, great value even if it is now more than the £99 we got them for before the recession hit.

Yes the leccy funfighters sound fun we have several that are joining in all with YT ARTF RENO Mustangs. The challenge is to get an A123 one faster than the Lipo versions

Cheers
Danny

Made a battery box that will either take the 5S2P LiPos (10,000 mah) or 6S3P A123 (6900mAh).

I then had to open up the lower forward section. This area is very weak and the area you see boxing in the lower part of the engine bulkhead is 1/8 balsa!!!
I will epoxy the battery box in and make it integral to the bulkheads and firewall. It will then have done two functions in one hit:
1. Strengthened a weak bulkhead/front end.
2. allowed the battery box to go well forward.

Here you see the box in position, yet to be fitted properly. I needed to get a rough feel for the C of G

I could not come up above the base of the canopy because it would foul the er.... canopy lol. I couldn't go any lower in the fus because then i wouldn't be able to get the cells in.

With the cowl fitted, the canopy (and my pair of Agent Smiths at the sticks) the model is nose heavy if I use the wing joining tube as a guide to where the C of G is ( I will check this more thoroughly) But as an indication I am on course for getting the model to balance.

Chocks away!

Edited By Danny Fenton on 05/12/2009 23:52:13

The wings only tooka a couple of hours to fit the servos and rig the connecting rods. Nice touch here is the use of 3mm clevises and rod instead of the normal 2mm stuff.
No pictures as this is pretty std stuff.
Also managed to install the radio gear and telemetry equipment. The Jeti 2.4 equipment if you are not aware gives realtime feedback on voltage and current and from this it can work out how much has been consumed. It is very re-assuring to glance at the display and see how much power remains in the "tank"

I made up a small jig to allow me to make the 4mm parallel adaptors, and a tray to hold the ESC inside the motor mount box.

The battery box was finished and fitted. Holes into the cowl area bring a flow of air around the cells. The foam fills the void in the box as Lipos are smaller in size than the A123 cells The A123's fit the box more snugly and do not need the packing pieces.

Now the interesting bit, with the two "Agent Smith" pilot figures that weigh over half a pound, the final all up weight ready to go is 12.6 lbs I think you will agree thats pretty respectable for an 85" model. It should fly well at that low wing loading.

Cheers
Danny

Hey Danny, great looking conversion there, don't know quite how I missed this thread. Tell me what do you think will be the AUW of this big bird? My 84" 1/4 scale flybaby is looking to come out at around 10bls.

Also speaking of Pilots...I'm going to need a 1/4 scale civi pilot. I've looked on ebay but to no avail. Any hints?

prop.

For those that haven't seen ASSAGAI pilots they seem to a little hard to come by. The other day there was a whole raft of them in 1/4 1/5 and 1/6 scale, and I purchased one. Today however having a look for prop i can't find them

Anyway here he is, looks like he moonlights as an actor in Thunderbirds lol

If you are wondering what he is so  intently staring at.... he is in awe that a Gypsy Major is still running with such low oil pressure, or is the gauge bust?

Edited By Danny Fenton on 10/12/2009 21:01:13

Well I removed the canopy from the cockpit hatch cover and hacked the bulkheads out and the floor. The pilots weighed roughly 230g so they had to go.

The new guy weighs in at 50g and with the lightened bulkheads i have shaved some weight.

Stuck in some photos of instrument panels suitably scaled to fit. Still some touching up to do but you get the idea?

A little more done. I sheeted the bottom of the hatch so that the pilot had somewhere to sit. I used tissue, dope then a couple of coats of sanding sealer to seal the grain. Then it was given a coat of matt black. Then I masked off the forward section of the cockpit and the upper part of the cowl. This area is gloss black and a coat of Satin black made it look much better.

The pilot was firmly attached and the canopy glued on using RC Canopy Glue.

Waved the iron over several of the wrinkles that had formed and added some roundels and fin stripes. Will do the reg letter on the plotter tomorrow and personalise it.

Might do something like "Greenacres Aero Club" down the side of the cowl, as its not really a specific Chippy.

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny, thats looking great. Shame it's so big we've not had pics of it assembled yet

All you need now is a model of me as an air cadet, sitting in the back in the mid 1970's (Thank goodness for helmets, or you'd see my hairstyle! )

How about Greenacres Kilowatt Club?  You already have the T shirt....

Cheers 
Chris

Edited By Chris Bott on 11/12/2009 22:28:05

Thanks Chris, yes I wonder how many peoples first experience of flight was in the back of a Chippy. We all had bad hairstyles in the 70's so I shouldn't worry about it. i still love Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin

yes Kilowatt Club is a good idea and a bit of a plug when flying at other club's events

Prop i have a search reminder set up on EBAY and ten new ASSAGAI pilots have just been listed, here is one of them the only 1/4 scale. Not full body though i am afraid.

Cheers
Danny