Flair or Balsa USA?

Simon UK

Hi Guys

I wonder could I get some opinions on two models. I am a sucker for WW1 Aircraft and although I am quite new to the hobby I would like to get a proper kit to build over the coming (horrible weather wise) months. 

A few guys at my club swear by Flair kits and in particular the Magnatilla as a first build kit, I am only slightly put of these because of how common they seem to be. I do realise if they are common they must be good - that fact is not lost on me.

I did however notice the Balsa USA Eindecker 40 and this has also caught my interest, question is have any of you any familiarity with the Balsa USA kits?.

As this will be my first and last kit for a good while i would like to choose the right one.

Cheers for you time

Edited By Simon UK on 01/12/2009 17:15:12

Advert

hello simon-if you decide and build a flair magnatilla-you will not be put off...you can make it as individual as you want..and as for the flying-they are excellent...dont know of anyone who has regretted making/flying one over the year's.............lot to be said for them...

ken anderson(iv'e had two)......... 

I have built a Flair DVII, and the Flair kits have a reputation as very traditional (read old fashioned!) but excellent fliers.

The Balsa USA kits are much less common.  The bigger kits are very popular with groups like the dawn patrol as they are either very true to scale, or able to be made so.  I don't remember seeing any of the smaller kits discussed. 

One thing that might influence your choice, and many people forget, is that the Maggie isn't a "real" plane, but a hybrid of a generic plane of the era.

Most American kits are excellent. The Yanks won't put up with rubbish. Having said that I've built a Flair Junior 60 and a Baronette and can't find anything to criticize.

I've flown several Magnatillas and have one part-built in the loft which I bought off eBay. There are lots of ways of making your Maggie different to everone elses. Try finishing it as a two seater with an observer with a machine gun in a rear cockpit. Finish it as a pre war racing aircraft. Finish it in British, Russian or French colours and pretend it's a Morane, or finish it with a blue, green, brown or yellow fuselage and chrome yellow wings to represent an American military aircraft from the 20's or 30's, red and white striped rudder and all and those national insignia with the red disc in the centre.

Hi Simon, It's a great choice, It is quite like the fokker E111. I think it would be greatly enhanced if you were to build a pylon over the pilots position, and add rigging wires top and bottom. There are stacks of pix of the E111 on the web. Here's a wee taster

*ernie                             

• 2 years later...
Posted by Simon UK on 05/12/2009 14:42:25:
Maggnatilla it is then guys. Thanks for all the feedback and David special thanks to you for putting some ideas in my head. I like the idea of the two seater, would certainly make it look different to the Magies at my club.

Hi

sorry limited english... i have balsa usa 1/6 scale pup , i prefer flair model for good quality of construction; example the puppeteer flair and others has an alluminum cowl engine , instead balsa usa pup just plastic abs, and it after 2 years lesions appear near the screw. yes fly well but i love flair, i prefer flair Fokker dr1. because the shape and most beautifull than balsa usa fokker dr1

regards

Edited By Vintage on 23/02/2012 21:12:20

• 11 months later...

ok today evening i will show the difference between balsa usa and Flair models...,at moment i have been able to insert pictures

100_1016.jpg

100_1015.jpg

Edited By Vintage on 02/02/2013 16:19:43

Edited By Vintage on 02/02/2013 16:20:20

Edited By Vintage on 02/02/2013 16:21:36

Edited By Vintage on 02/02/2013 16:23:06

Posted by Reno Racer on 02/02/2013 18:32:22:

Simon,

Thread here from a few days ago. Balsa USA are top quality kits, although slighty more expensive and harder to get in the UK than Flair.

Chris

Yes...but you must check the project and strengthen. Looking my balsa usa 1/6 plan, modified with yellow/red marks, you can understand the modify i made to my model, the models in some position are weak! looking good designers plans as Cal Smith.

Balsa usa have big models but not very balsa quality as Flair etc...look picture! WHERE ARE

ORDINATE/FORMER on these models?

sopwith_pup_side_view.jpg

100_1015.jpg

Edited By Vintage on 02/02/2013 19:33:54

Edited By Vintage on 02/02/2013 19:35:51

Edited By Vintage on 02/02/2013 19:36:28

• 4 months later...

Hi Simon,

I built my Manatilla back in the early 1990's, it has been re-engined twice, I have modified the wing slightly with two servos (don't bother no differnce really) and I made the rudder more in line with the Fokker.

Over the years I have built many flair kits and all are fairly straight forward to build and they fly great.

All the best

Robert