Model Engineer Exhibition

kc

Why are there no RC aircraft at this years ME exhibition at Sandown Park?   Well there was just a half size replica in the foyer and a Typhoon in a far corner, but nothing like there used to be a few years ago at Olympia.

I have to say this years show yet again is only worthwhile to those who are interested in model engineering or boats. 

Why is there no Winter show in the South of England where aeromodellers can look at great models and buy aero materials and parts?

The  ME exhibition was one of the best in the world and people sent models from as far afield as Malta and the USA just for the prestige of entering the competitions.  There was an RCME prize for RC models too and now nothing!
But the main point is that people used to take their children to see the show as an after Christmas outing and this surely introduced many to modelling and aeromodelling.  Now this method of getting new blood into the hobby is not there.  And in future of course this means eventually there will be nobody to buy RCME.........

excellent point kc---times have changed for sure---wonder nower day's how many buy the mag or have heard of it.....myself-i'm now becomming what is called the older generation...to be taken over by the next lot/generation of modeller's---i used to stand outside the 'model shop'window and dream of the day i would be able to afford a 'junior 60' which was at the time 39/6 in old dosh....and used to rush to the 'picture's to see the latest 'war film' with 'spitfires' in it.............dont know what the crack is now with the kid's-probably had a go on the 'x-box' or pc and decided to have a go---allthough in reality-the club i'm in has very few 'kid's' in-mostly if not all are middle aged kid's upward's....

young anderson.............think we could do with one of these with grey hair....

I dont think anyone would worry whether RC planes are engineering or not.  Model boats are not really engineeering either in most cases.
I exhibited aircraft at Alexandra Palace and at Olympia and although I was completely outclassed by magnificent models such as Rob Millinship's Spitfire masterpiece I was happy to show a normal club type model in the hope that someone would think " I can do as well as that " and have a try at aeromodelling. ( thats how I started serious aeromodelling ) In those years half my aero club members attended too and saw dozens of planes competing for awards, now they don't go.  It is the trade exhibitors loss that less people go and so probably some of them will not have stand next year and the show will decline further and so on.
The whole of the lower floor ( basement as used by railway exhibitors at the old Sandown Symposium ) was unused for exhibits this year so there was / is no excuse about lack of room!
The rival Alexandra Palace show in January last year at least had an indoor model flying display and 1 'aircraft' trade stand but no other aircraft exhibits.  Surely one of thes shows ought to include RC aircraft exhibits instead of having empty spaces in their hall.

come the revolution we will be sending all the excess population from the South up North so we can have plenty of open spaces and cheap houses, space for flying etc in the South of England.  Then we won't mind travelling to see a model show......

Why is the entrance cost to the ME  so high when the traders are charged so much to have a stand.  Where does all the money go.......

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi All, As both Model Engineer & Aeromodeller  KC I can see your point , we used to have a really first class show a few years ago didn't we !  I wonder if we can get David Ashby interested in a flying show again at Sandown sometime this year ? Or perhaps even the home of British aviation  " BROOKLANDS " in Weybridge...  Hard runway surface and a splendid Aviation / Motor Museum as well. What about it David ??

Hi all, sad to say, but i remember the MEE back in the days when it was held in Wembley. It was huge and a fantastic day out. I took my son to this years show at Sandown( By the way I live in Liverpool) I dont think we were there more than an hour.

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys,

Just read your comments as I had been intending to add a post anyway about this exhibition. I made a round trip of 160 miles as I thought, in my ignorance, that this was still the same show as I had always loved. What an absolute waste of time and money and its all in a name with nice profits for the organisers using a 'modelling' banner to capture as many punters as possible.

Now I read in the BMFA magazine that there is a "London Model Engineering Exhibition" 17th - 19th January, guess where . . . Alexandra Palace. Check out the link as note that number and type of exhibitors who will be there.

That's what we needed, not a watered down version with a minimum of stands and one radio controlled aircraft in the front entrance. Oh, I was not the only one miserable at what I found, several club mates commented with the same lament!

Check out the link below for more information. Oh I feel a bit better after that, yes, it was a rant but justified!

http://www.londonmodelengineering.co.uk/

And dont be sucked in by the psycholigical argument of 'are we wrong' and is it all our fault?

No, it aint!