Medevac heli

Fats Flyer

Hi Everyone.
There doesn't seem to be any mention of the medevac here.
has anyone got one and if so how are you finding flying it?
do you enjoy it?
how easy do you find flying it?
do you know of tinkering tips?
how far have you blinged it?
what faults have you found?
any tips?
there must be a lot out there.
I'll start off by saying when you trim out your medevac ,always make sure that it is done with a FULLY charged pack.
when you start to fly the medevac,you might notice a slight yaw after flying a while ,this is quite normal and if your trims are cenralised ,then use this until finished flying ,then return trims to centre.
if you have to use the 4 in 1 adjustment screws it can be a pain keep taking off the canopy, what i have done is cut out the canopy on the side of the adjustment screws around the door shape.Two good things about doing this is that it's easy to trim and allows more cooling inside and of course ,you can't see that it has been cut out.
One last item(i'll leave room for others)if after you have trimmed the medevac perfectly and you notice a sudden yaw ,check the stretchers on each side because if not even ,this will cause an imbalance.

vince

i have a century hummingbird helicopter but have flown the twister medivac and it almost flies itself. I never had flown a helicopter before but it is ideal for benginers and novices alike. it has great flying characteristics. if that gets a bit easy i would reccomend either the hummingbird or the twister v2 with one blade with prop a the back. they are a bit more challenging but are great fun to fly.

After many years of firmly resisting the urge to fly heli's (and Graham's encouragement) I bought a Medivac 3 weeks ago - what fun and I'm chuffed to be progressing nicely. So far havn't hit anything.....
No faults so far and it hovers nicely. I do find the tail trim needs adjusting through the flight. Must get a second batt.
Good advice Vincent.

Hi david,
this little machine is great fun for the money isn't it?.
For some extra wow ,buy a set of lights for the medevac, you can fly in the dark and i must say,i totally love it and it hones your skills alot more.(only 12.99 on ebay).I have put a picture on in the gallery,have a look, they are so bright.As regards flying time,maybe only about a minute is lost which considering the flying time you get ,this (i think) is accepticle.

cheers for now

vince

For anyone who may have just bought a Medevac it might be useful to know that I've trimmed four or five different examples so far and in each case the tail rotor has needed adjustment at the 4 in 1 mixer unit to counteract yaw. Easily sorted but necessary because of the way they seem to have been set up in the factory. It appears that the transmitter trim alone isn't quite enough to hold the tail in line when hovering. Remember to disconnect and reconnect the battery every time you make an adjustment to the 4 in 1 pot', so that the board can recalibrate after the alteration. That aside I reckon they’re a cracking machine. I’ve had great fun flying mine in the office.

Hiya Graham,
absolutely right,i'd like to know who in the factory has test flown the medevacs because as you say ,to fly properly you have to adjust the trim pots every time.
One little tip to anyone who has slightly bent the outer shaft ,thus causing a little wobble,is to take and strip out the shaft. If your a builder you should have some of this in stock or if not, ask a friend .......10 s.w.g piano wire fits exactly inside the alloy tube(make sure the piano wire is straight first though).Gently twist a push the piano wire into it until it reaches out the other side,then push through from the other side.You will notice after a couple of times it becomes easier to push the piano wire through.When happy,refit...and save nearly a tenner on the price of a new one.

vince

• 2 weeks later...
Bought a medivac as my first heli after many years of resisting and as soon as i started flying it i was hooked. I now have 3 heli's. The medivac is so stable i fly in my garage and even manage to land on an upturned bucket.I have found that when you do hit something it is quite strong as long as you remember to shut the throttle straight away.
lovely little heli

• 3 weeks later...
By the way, my Medevac was quite seriously bent the other day to the point that the swashplate snapped in two! Instead of replacing it with a standard plastic item I went for the anodised aluminium upgrade part and the model seems more responsive and appears to be slightly smoother in flight. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the same? Incidentally, the upgrade swash is very reasonable - about £10 or £12 I believe. Beautiful quality, too. Looks a bit strange in blue, though!

To be honest Vincent I'm not at liberty to disclose the name of the guy who crashed it because I wasn't around at the time. We had some weekend workmen here at the office a few weeks ago and, in my absence, one of them decided to try his hand at helicopter flying. I don't expect it was in the air for very long! He must have given it quite a clout though. Best bit was: He stuck it back on top of my computer (where it lives) in carefully arranged bits as if nothing had happened! That'll teach me... Anyway, yes, I may yet paint it black.

graham,
get your'e own back on the workmen .Try and see if their expensive cordless drills fly,then put it back in it's case in a carefully arranged manner.
Don't know about you,but it would make me feel a lot better.

Also don't you find the blue ali off putting when flying.It's like a beacon staring you in the face.

• 2 weeks later...
turn the adjustment screw the same rotation as the tail rotor.when you do the adjustment, un plug the battery first before any adjustments.when you re connect the battery the new setting wil be recognised.
also make sure the battery is fully charged first.
hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
I've struggled for some time with an ic powered heli (Century Hawk) and it's been getting quite expensive in repairs. However, with the Medevac I've been able to practice without too much expense (mainly replacement blades) and now on a quiet evening I can happily fly figure-of-eights in the garden and also do a nose in hover. Now for the bigger model!
The medevac is a great training tool and beats simulators!

Was just reading this after having a twister medevac myself and I found it cool apart from the extortionate price for spares, I found the walkera 5-4 a wicked heli that's almost identical (but much more stable and cheaper) that and it seems to have been thought out better, the blades on the medevac were constantly breaking for even minor knocks which was annoying but they just fold in on the walkera which means you're up and away in no time, I got my'n from gadgetsunlimited.net and they stock all the spares as well which is really useful, gadgetsunlimited.net/spares.

I've now gone back to the Hawk and found that the hours with the Medevac have really paid off. I can now do with the Hawk what I was doing with the Twister. I brought the Hawk home with no damage - I was never near damaging it, which was not the case before! However, the Hawk is far more sensitive - I just seems to have to 'breathe' on the sticks. Would you experts out there recommend using exponential or should I stick with the sensitivity?

• 6 months later...

Just received a Twister Hawk as an Xmas present and I'm pleased with it - not that I have manged to get it too fly yet!! Just started!!!

I want to get a spare 7.4v 800Mah LiPo battery (and noted the comments re letting the motors cool down etc) has anyone got a source on EBay etc for these batteries from HK?

Also would a 1000/1200Mah battery last a bit longer provided it weighs the same?

• 2 weeks later...

just a few questions regarding the medevac..

Is it normal for the tail boom/tail rotor to "wobble" slightly wen throttle is increased or should it remain completely still without a vibration?

also, regarding the charger.. has anyone found that the green light on the charger doesnt turn off? I have to charge for around a hour because i have no indication that its finished charging!!! i find it a bit annoying!

Also i found out that wen i touched the arieal on the transmitter, strange sounds were cumin from the heli like the parts were moving? is this normal?

Also wen i approached the heli after a crash it seemed to go crazy and the rotors started to move even tho i hadnt touched a single control!

Sorry if i sound stupid!

Only just bought one the other day and apart from that there great little machines!!

Help wud be great thanks!

Rob.