Glider events 2010

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Tim,
As promised, here's the dates for the 2010 PSSA Fly-In events up on the Great Orme, Llandudno.  Ive made sure we don't clash with key events in the area this year, such as the Lleyn MAC 'Bring and Fly' weekend and the Woodvale Rally.

5th and 6th June 2010 - PSS Fly for Fun - 10am meet

14th and 15th August 2010 - PSS Fly for Fun - 10am meet

2nd and 3rd October 2010 - PSS Fly for Fun - 10am meet

More info & contact details for all the PSSA events can be found HERE

Edited By Phil Cooke on 06/01/2010 15:48:41

Hey all,  

Just checked diary and should be able to make all the Great Orme meets bar 5th June as thats other halfs birthday!!    Still she has agreed to let me join you on the 6th!!!!    

Thats gonna cost me dearly!!!        Should have my hawk all ready for then!!!   

For all the PSS people I am looking into the possibilities of holding an event in north Derbyshire, around the Glossop area.

I am trying to see about getting permission from local farmer to utilse hillside he owns that would be ideal!!!    Wish me luck!!

Any advice on best ways to go about this would be welcome.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 07/01/2010 07:54:56:
Got any more details of that Ulty?

Noted for mag and web events listing Phil
 David I did answer this yesterday but my post dissapeared, strange, anyway not too much detail as yet but will update as time gets nearer. We usually have two or three tugs present, the largest of which is an 80cc Wilga so we can get almost anything with a release airborn
                Cheers Brian

• 3 weeks later...
Hiya Tim, long time no see.

Copeland Model Club intend to hold two glider fly-ins this year. The first is on Saturday May 29th. The second, Saturday August 28th.

Meeting place for both events is Lakes College Workington, CA14 4JN. We plan to meet on the college car park at 10am, decide a suitable site and take it from there.

Unfortunately, our website is no longer active, so all enquiries will have to be directed to me. I can be contacted at [email protected]

Look forward to seeing some familiar faces from last year

Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions,

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey Timbo.

Just thought I'd let you know that I will defo be seeing you at the 1st PSSA meet on the Orme.  Will be bringing along my newly aquired Mig "Foxbat" and my Dassault Mirage!! 
Both worthy of a pic or 2!!!

Having not flown slope for a while though I may be handing you the tranny for the 1st flights!!!!   

May also bring my combat wing and general glider for more fun!!!

Does everyone meet up on the Saturday night in LLandudno? If so the better half and I will join you for a bit to meet you all before Sundays antics!!!

Dave

Hi David - thats great news, will be good to meet, and will happily pilot your model as you throw it off the big rock - depending on your flight mode of course ...I am mode 1
However, no worries, as there also plenty of experienced and capable mode 2 pilot as well!
As I live so close, I normally just turn up on the Saturday morning, but some of the regular PSSA visitors do stay over in accomodation in LLandudno, on both the friday and sat nights....and you may well find them out for a scoff etc
Probably best to contact them ( Simon Cocker, or Matt Jones would probably be best ) via the PSSA website.
By all means bring non PSSA stuff as well, we often fly other stuff during the day also....its pretty relaxed and very informal.

• 3 weeks later...
I have just returned from the Great Orme.
The bad news is that the entire marine drive and any other access roads will be closed to ALL traffic on the Friday 4th and  *Saturday 5th.* between 11AM and 6PM for a car rally.
I have spoken with the guy on the main entrance tollhouse, and he says they cant do anything as the rally will be transversing the road in the "wrong direction" IE from the west shore end and obviously they will simply not allow any "normal" traffic. This causes a problem for the PSSA meeting on the Saturday. He says we can get accss via the main entrance ( £2.50 ) _*before 10.30 AM*_ but anyone doing so, will be "stuck" on the orme until 6PM.
My concern is especially for those peoiple who may be travelling some distance, and may arrive on the Saturday after this time, and be then refused entry!

Thanks for highlighting this issue Tim.

Although the prospects of getting there early and being 'stuck' on the Orme until 6pm sounds fine to me, especially if we could guarantee the weather  - you are absolutely right Tim, the risk of people travelling from afar only to be turned away after 10:30 is too great.

I will formally cancel the Saturdays event and make the first PSSA Fly-In a 1 day event only.

SUNDAY 6th June.

I will update the PSSA website now.

Thanks again Tim, for future ref - is there a way of finding out about events on the Orme like this for future planning?  Did you only find out about it by seeing signs on the Orme itself??

Yep....just happened to go up for a couple of hours today, and spotted the sign on the entrance gate. Got chatting with the guy on the toll, and he gave me the full story. The annoying thing is that he reckons the cars wont even get to the stage until after lunch !

I will contact the council, and see what other "events" they have booked that may clash with the remaining PSSA dates - I am reluctant to mention "our" sessions for fear of attracting extra scrutiny etc IYSWIM.