2.4GHz

whacky

Advert

Short answer is right now you dont>>

just use your 35Mhz kit for now.

If you get seriously back into the hobby you may want to look at 2.4Ghz later on. It does have some advantages. If you had no kit at all most people I think would recommend buying a 2.4G system. Check your 35Mhz kit out properly (especially the batteries) if its being sitting about for a long time and if it works fine then use it. No point in wasting money>>

Some major points are missing in this chat:
Advantages:
The system searches automatically for a free channel - so you never have to check for a free channel and nobody will disturb your radio.
Much more tolerant for interference from electric motors or ignition systems.  
Antenna short on the transmitter and very short on the receiver.  It is normally inside the fuselage and therefore invisible.
Disadvantages:
As the frequency is much higher the behavior of the radio waves is rater similar to a light beam. If the model is behind a hill it will not receive the signal any more. (don't laugh - especially with gliders in some mountainous area it may happen that the model is out of sight for a second or two when you try to find a save place to land it when you cannot make it to the top of the slope any more)
Conductive material as carbon fibre or aluminium parts may disturb the receiver. It is important to find the optimum position for the receiver / antenna on the model. (think of carbon fibre fuselage on some gliders). This is also the reason why some brands use satellite receivers (Spektrum) on their full range gear.
The voltage for the receivers is critical - always use fully charged batteries of suitable capacity. 
VA 

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 31/12/2009 07:47:13

My two-pennurth...............

On 35 Meg, I get glitches nearly every flight.  Some barely noticeable, some a bit scarey.  On my 2.4 equipped planes (Spektrum and GiantCod cheapo set) I can't recall a single glitch.

So, in my view, if you get good performance out of 35, stick with it; otherwise move to 2.4.

Biggest downside is that the Rx's aren't interchangeable. That I know of .......

GG

P.S. I still have two planes in my fleet on 35 meg; number on 2.4 increases each pay-day