David Boddington

paulos

Advert

I join with all in registering my sadness arising from the demise of DB.

Only last night I was re-browsing the 1967 February Aeromodeller, amongst other things was thinking how much has changed.

That was Map Insurance being available for 2sh 6P, for £50,000 cover at the price of the cost of the Magazine. Hmm I thought the current mag costs £4, for the equivalent cover of circa £1m. Insurance costs seem to have increased greatly.

I then came upon "Strictly Simple" the monthly contribution by DB. I then thought some things never change though.  Thinking, this guy has been so prolific over the years. Yes, somethings never change!  A journalist, model designer, manufacturer of kits, Commentator of humour at so many model displays. So much energy. He stands alongside, at least equal in stature, with the Eddie Keils, H Nicholls etc.

Finding that DB was no longer with us has come as a shock. Another milestone for the modelling community has passed. Change has occurred.

Naturally I also feel for his family, as I do for all who face the loss of some one very real to them. I agree with all who feel that that modelling has suffered a great loss.

Erfolg 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi, No one has mentioned the Sub Mini that appeared as.a free plan in the January 1965 RCM&E. That was one of the first Boddo's that I made. We took it to Hucknall for a single channel contest that year and I remember David approaching a little puzzled because I had added 2" to the span of each wing. The Dart powering it was tired and I hoped that would help.
Well it flew but didn't complete the circuit; the prop parted with the engine with the front part of the crankshaft still attached. End of that story. In December that year Tyro came on the scene as another free plan and things got better. Manual pulse. Great stuff if one couldn't afford an escapement! Built many Tyros and still have both plans. Still have a Sub Mini that needs attention. Thanks David for many happy hours with those, Push Moth and a small slope soarer called Apprentice from 1968. Sorry that I'm late here but I haven't been visiting the site for a while. Jim.

• 6 years later...

Hi all.

I have been restoring this David Boddington Mascot over the winter and just thought it appropriate to post the progress here. The Mascot belonged to my Uncle Alan Cox. Uncle Alan is a native of Kingsbury North West London . He move to Ireland in the early 1970s after working in the middle east with my auntie Bernie. In any event Alan used to make us gliders and small throwers and we loved to visit as he would be flying or building planes and as small boys what more could you ask for. Anyway roll on the years and I end up with Uncle Alans Mascot. It was in a bad state when I got it (all the pics with yellow covering) . I think is got a lovely shape and hope to maiden it again in the spring.

The first site I hit when I started researching this noble plane was Modelflying.co.uk and the sad news of a legendary flying figure’s passing. Davids work lives on as does his name.

Posted by Percy Verance on 12/02/2017 21:59:47:

Hi Jonathan

It's a few years since David Boddington's passing, but his legacy does indeed live on. The Mascot and many other of *Sir* David's excellent designs are available from DB Sport & Scale. It's fairly well known that David - affectionately known by many as Boddo - designed over 400 model aircraft, and among these was the Tyro, another trainer along with the Mascot. The Tyro was among the first models kitted by David when he began kit production. It went on to sell thousands...

I was lucky enough to meet Boddo on several occasions at the Scale Weekend at Old Warden, and also the waterplane fly ins at Windermere, when he participated in the Splash Ins. A nicer bloke you could not wish to meet. We miss you Boddo, RIP.

Thanks Percy and Paul for the welcome hope to keep ye in the picture with my splinter making progress. Jon

A couple of things, Your before and after pix, most of my fleet look like the before version smiley , that engine looks very much like an irvine Q40, lovely motor and well under-rated. To make it even more "Q" fit an APC prop which will take away a lot of the prop noise.

I can't believe it's ten years since Boddo passed on, I know he was sorely missed, especially at cocklebarrow. Ho Hum.

I too think it is sad about David but its kind of cool that hes still with us and flying with us so his love for flying got passed on and the energy keep flowing.

Braddock thanks for the prop advice , and yes its an Irvine Q40 ABC that my then girlfriend now wife bought for me when we lived in London in the 1990's. 4 kids moth balled alot of stuff .

J