Engine to Silencer gasket??

Ross Clarkson

wouldn't there be a danger with PTFE that if you put it across the block to manifold aperture and allow engine gasses to blow the hole through it, that there could be bits of ptfe ingested back into the engine if you happen to have it on the wrong 'stroke' when blowing through ?

Advert

You could always make sure of a good joint by "lapping -in" the two surfaces with a mild abrasive eg Brasso or T-cut ,making sure of course that none gets were it shouldn't ! I'm showing my age again % old fashioned engineering . I would think that PTFE tape would only stay put where trapped by high spots in the join.-Just where you dont need it !
G-umpy

Use the epoxy method . Gaskets on glow engine exhausts are a waste of time as they keep on compressing and allow silencer to loosen ,leak oil or fall off. Apply a small /thin bead of epoxy around the engine exhaust and screw on the silencer . Make sure the screws have oil on them before you fit them . This stops the epoxy from locking the thread . It will form a perfect seal as it is gap filling ( no need to lap the joint) It will also stop the silencer from vibrating loose or falling off in flight and can easily be removed by unscrewing screws and give the silencer a sharp tap . It also conducts heat away from the engine into the silencer better than a gasket .  I use the stronger epoxy like 24 hr Araldite as its thicker and will not run into the cylinder and fills any gaps better. Have been using it for years now with no problems . Hope it helps