Snake inners

Advert

Mowerman, lack of sufficient grip is the usual issue. Try wrapping a couple of turns of masking tape round the threaded insert. You should then be able to hold the threaded insert with a small pair of pliers with enough grip to wind them into the inner as far as you like, without damaging the thread. (Use a piece of masking tape on the inner too, if you find that slipping in yoiur fingers whilst you're twisting the insert into it)

I grip the thread with pointy pliers in a place where the thread isn't used by the clevis, and 'lubricate' the thread which goes into the inner with mk1 lubricant (i.e. spit on it).
As you turn the thread to the point when you can't hold the inner any more give it a good tug -if it doesn't come out you should be OK.
I think the spit is the important bit because it is quite a good lubricant and then the metal rusts inside the inner, causing it to expand slightly. All I can say is it is one heck of a job to get the thread out at a later date, you have to cut the plastic off.....

This job is made a lot easier if you use the correct tool for the job.

Sullivan provide a threaded knurled aluminium barrel that is threaded onto the threaded insert and then wound into the snake inner.

Should be available from any decent model shop that carries Gold-n-Rods.

Quicker to do than to type it out.