Newbie looking for a good scale kit

Paul G.

Paul

The secret of life is to make a decision and stick to it.

Since it appears that you are determined to learn to fly using a scale model despite what every other respondent to your thread has advised, being a sportsman myself, let me come to a bargain with you. If you succeed in getting your A Certificate, which is like passing your driving test, by flying nothing other than scale models, then I will donate £10 to the charity of your choice, providing that you are prepared to donate £10 to Amnesty International the moment you start to use a non-scale model as a trainer. Do we have a bet?

I have two further criticisms of your choice. Firstly, as stated above, a scale Grasshopper, which is only a modified Piper Cub will be too delicate to withstand the rigours of learning to fly and you'll spend a lot of time repairing it. Secondly, it's too small.

Larger models fly better, I won't go into the aerodynamic reasons as to why, but just ask yourself why it is that most of the ARTF trainers are 5-6 feet (1.5-1.8 metres) in the wingspan. Larger models are also much easier to see. A 76" Piper Cub has four times the wing area of your 38" choice; I don't rate the choice of a 117cms U2 as a second model either.

As you appear to be into electric flight, there are many excellent ARTF electric trainers about in the 1.5-1.8 metre range. I can recommend the Eflite Apprentice as I've taught a beginner how to fly using one of these.  The Seagull Pioneer and Innovator appear to be very good value for money and may be dismantled into small parts if storage or transport pose problems. I've no experience of either model but there is a chap in my club who is happy with his Pioneer. The Telemaster Electro is also a nice slow flier, qualities which a beginner needs to allow for "thinking time."

As for the Flair Piper Cub that's a trainer not a scale model. Claiming that one as a scale model would be cheating

Best of Luck to you.

Andy Green has pre-empted my advice about joining a club.

Advert

this thread is starting to remind me of the following tale----i was attempting to learn a couple of 'new member's' the basic's with a high wing trainer a few year's ago-they were probably on to their 3rd/4th lesson and not doing very well............one happened to mention he was busy building his second model-which was a ..............DB Spitfire..c/w a super tigre 3000..........when i pointed out to him that it would be a couple of year's at least before he could move on to something like that-he was taken aback...after a couple of more month's-he/they gave up and i have never seen them back at our club field since...........

ken anderson......

Hi Guys,
Of course the flair cub isn't true scale, but it seems to fit the bill as far as Paul is concerned.

First of all he builds it, no plastic toys here, Next, it's not that far off the real thing. Also,It's not too difficult to repair when the inevitable tree moves, and finally, it's a doddle to fly

As far as real scale is concerned, Ken is absolutely right, It's quite a few models down the line

ernie

Paul G
A Lockheed U2 is an interesting choice but a word of warning. Big wing span aircraft, and by that I mean in relation to the rest of the airframe, are not the easiest things to get to fly well.
They tend to be rather sensitive so get something just a bit out and it becomes a bit of a handful. The problem then is identifying what exactly is wrong.

The full size U2 was indeed quite a handful. At low altitudes the never exceed speed was only just above the take off speed and at high altitude it was only a few knots above the stall speed. The landing was not easy either.
This video of a U2 rapid climb out is not the pilot showing off but necessary to keep below the maximum permitted speed.
Models do tend to be relatively stronger so it will not be quite so delicate so don't be put off.
When you do build a U2 I am sure a build blog would be of considerable interest.

I like your determination  Paul. I did exactly what you want to do. This was 12 years ago and advice that has been offered here wasn`t available to me.  Roger Adams post  reminds me of when I first dipped a toe into r/c model flying.

For my first model I built a scale Citabria. I was advised that it would make a good trainer. In fact it was it flew very well. However, after putting so many hours of loving attention during the building process I was so scared of trashing it that it really hampered my training. I got so nervous that I had to give it up and buy myself an ARTF trainer. Unfortunately I had to stop flying for other reasons and have just started up again. But  I still have my Citabria and when I`m confident enough I will get it out of mothballs and enjoy flying it rather than be scared of crashing it.