Cleaning my OS 46LA

NigelH

I've had this engine for a couple of years and it's now got burnt oil on the cylinder head and where the silencer attaches to the engine.  Is there a low cost and quickish way to get this off without boiling it, soaking it or dismantling it ?

Elbow grease is an option and if anyone wants me to send it to them so they can show us all how good they are at cleaning engines then let me know

Thanks

Brass brush (for 'er indoors's swede boots) and petrol or Cillit bang .whatever it's called BUT don't leave it on too long (cillit bang that is) -It makes aluminium alloy engines whatever go very grey & matt coloured .Ask me how I know ! -I left it on over night on a castor burnt on cylinder head! No problem -in fact it probably cools better !

I also use Nitromors, its good stuff for cleaning off baked on castor.
                                                                                                                           FK.

Hello Nigel  Bettaware oven cleaner or they may call it carbon remover will remove all traces of burnt castor given time . If your engine has a painted finish ,ei; blue LA or a red irvine it will strip it back to aluminium . If its already alumininum its the best stuf to use as it wont discolour the aluminium like Mr Muscle and some other products . you could also try a immersing the engine in Cellulose thinners and give it a brush with an old tooth brush or similar .Thats the downside of using castor oil based fuel . Use a good sythetic and your engine will wipe clean for years without need for brushes and chemicals . I wouldn't recomend using synthetic oil fuel in this engine especially if the piston is discoloured or laquered as the synthetic will clean away the laquer and the engine could  loose its compression .
Whoops ! Have I started a Castor versus Synthetic debate again  ? 

Power spray is the least offensive cleaner and is very effective.

If your engine is the blue anodised one, then nitromors or any other thinners will probably strip this off as it is actually painted not anodised. If it is a bare metal finish, then these will also cause the metal to discoulour if left on for too long.

As an aside, I found an old engine (Merco 60 WD) on Salisbury Plain, which had been shot down on a gunnery target for AA gunners. It was thicj with mud and corrosion. I stripped it, soaked it in cellulose thinners, washed it and then replaced the bearing and oiled it. It ran just great until I sold it.