Help! RC servo actuator for camera shutter release?

Hi, I'm new here and sorry, this is not about flying, but it is about RC.

My digital camera has no remote control socket.

Exclusively in dry sunny weather, to photograph birds, I want to mount my digital camera outside on a tripod near my bird feeder and operate the shutter release from inside the kitchen using an RC servo actuator.  Power supply would be a small battery or batteries such as AAAs.

I can make my own mountings, brackets, etc. . . . but I need to find the RC components.

I would need:

In the kitchen:  a transmitter with one signal.

Mounted above the camera's shutter release button:  a silent receiver that will receive the signal and operate a silent actuator that will push the camera's release button down and hold it down until the signal stops.  When the signal stops, the actuator will return to its start point.

I assume that RC planes use RC servo actuators, could you please tell me where I can get advice and buy them?

Mike

Advert

Hello Mike

Most people on this forum are using RC equipment which works on say, six channels and will therefore operate six functions on an aircraft. This equipment is correspondingly expensive although secondhand stuff is available on ebay and this website. You really need to have a chat with someone at a model shop and see what is available. As you don't need high reliability, it maybe useful to look at old radio controlled toys. 
Have a look here...

to see the kind of gear we use.

Hi Mike,

if you're prepared to invest a £3 something for information there is a very good article in this month's copy of a magazine called "Radio Control Models & Electronics" - usually know amongst us as RCM&E. This mag is easily available in WHS and similar outlets. The article is about doing aerial photography from an RC plane - but it has all the features you are looking for - digital camera with the shutter being actuated by a servo. There are pictures of how to set this up etc. and how to build a small frame for everything.

If I were you I'd have a scout round for an old 27MHz RC car set. They only have two channels, are very cheap (especially second hand) and its perfectly legal for you to use them. (What kc says above is true - please don't use the 35MHz frequency band we use as it could lead to interference and subsequent loss of control of any model being flown within a couple of miles of you. At the least that would wreck the model, at the worst it could be very dangerous. But as I say 27MHz is no problem.)

You should be able to get a low spec 27MHz transmitter and a couple of servos for £20-30 I would have thought - maybe even cheaper second hand. Be aware, as Peter says the servos do make a slight "whirring" noise.

Best of luck - it sounds an exciting project!

BEB

mike where in the country are you there maybe some one close to you that could help with the set up of the gear maybe even have some un-used gear to donate for a small fee of course but be aware that some of these servos are very powerful and could damage the shutter release on the camara if not set up properly.
we are a very helpful lot on here so dont be afraid to ask.

Hi Mike,

You could use a dedicated 1 Channel RF remote control system to activate a solenoid to work the shutter - depends on how much electrikery you are prepared to get involved with - see link below  for suitable remote system stocked by Farnell.

The transmitter is the size of a key fob and operates on a frequency of 433 MHz, which is used for car remotes etc - licence exempt.

What is the distance between the camera and the kitchen?

I ask because it will possibly be cheaper and more reliable to run some wires to a solenoid on a mount to trigger the shutter with the power source and trigger else where.

This mechanism with some thin rubber tubing to restrict movement of the solenoid can be made to be almost silent, certainly quieter and less complex than the RC route.

An alternative would be an air shutter release and a bracket to suit your camera, again quieter and cheaper than the RC route. There are brackets ready made which suits some cameras.

Edited By Andy Gates on 12/02/2010 20:24:04

Many thanks to all of you who have replied, I have read it all once carefully but I shall have to go through it all more slowly and follow up the suggestions and links.  I shall avoid using 35mhz and can imagine the dangers of doing so.
Thanks again, your friendly advice is much appreciated.
Best regards and good flying,
Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...