New Foamy Wot 4 by Ripmax

DAVID CLIFFORD

Posted by Thorsten Schellenberg on 24/09/2010 16:20:38:
Posted by Edge on 24/09/2010 16:04:49:

I am no expert, but that looks like a more than adequate motor for the model.  The stock motor, at  800kv gives it a lively performance (for me, anyway).  Others may be better placed to comment.

David 

That's why I'm interested in measured data of the stock motor. Maybe it is even possible to use a smaller prop with the Hacker  A30-12L and increase flying time

A smaller prop does not necessarily mean longer flying time. Often, when the motor has plenty of spare power for the model, the way to get longer flying time is to increase the pitch of the prop. This allows the pitch speed for long flights (somewhere around 1.5 to 1.8 times the stall speed of the plane, very approximately) to occur at lower throttle settings. The prop still has to be suitable for the motor, ie not overheat the motor at full throttle.

This will usually mean the prop is stalled at speeds near and below the planes stalling speed, which doesn't matter much for take off, as you have plenty of spare power, but it would make it unsuitable for 3D. It could also mean the the pitch speed at full throttle is faster than the model is built for, again for the Wot4 this probably won't be an issue.

If your motor + plane + prop is properly matched, the flying time on a particular battery varies very little with different combinations, assuming you fly it at speeds that will give maximum flying times. The bigger motor and matching prop will be at a lower throttle    than a smaller motor and prop in the same plane.

Advert

Yes on my second Wot 4 Foam-e (don't ask what happened to the first to embarrassing!)

To be honest I think all the hinges could do with some additional strengthening I did the rudder on both before flying, being a relative newbie all of my models are ARTF and wasn't aware there was a 'Hinge Tape' product I used white PVC tape (Electricians tape) and it worked fine, a club member suggested 'Diamond Tape' but at £13.00 a reel I think I will stick with the PVC!

Do love the Wot 4 though which is why I bought a second one, hope you get it sorted!

JC

I finally grabbed some time yesterday to build and fly my WOT 4 Foam-E.
Hurrah! At last!

As promised, here are the weight and power specs:

All up weight: 1097g (inc. 3S 2200mAh Li-Po & AR500 receiver)

Static power: 215watts @ 19amps (average)

The maiden flight went without a hitch and the CG seems to be about right as indicated in the manual. Can't say that there is a massive amount of power there but is just enough to keep the smile on your face.

As others have already said, the stickers are the hardest part of the build.
I wish they had numbered them and mapped them on the plan. A bit of trial and error was required for myself as to their exact position and order in which to apply them.
The bottom blue sticker would have been better to put on first and use the the cowl as a guide as to how high the side blue stickers should be positioned.

I made the mistake of putting the landing gear on the wrong way round, which made it prone to easily sitting on it's nose......doh!

Gutted..... a second flight tonight left me with a jammed aileron in the down position.

Luckily it was at height so gave me 20 seconds for me to do a sanity check, yes, definitely a stuck aileron and not pilot error.

Despite best efforts using all other means of control the WOT ended up nosing into some mud resulting in a slightly bent nose and a crack in the middle of the wing, where it is bolted down.

Post mortem to follow ......I'm doomed with this plane.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 04/10/2010 20:30:05

Got mine from Al's, took 20 mins to assemble and an hour to put the stickers on... haven't been flying for a while so this was a treat. I'm a great believer in flying the design as-is first and not second guessing all the R&D work!

It flew nicely, not quite as powered as I expected, but has authority and a little CG work might be needed to liven it up later. The only thing I have done is to split the ailerons on separate channels by adding a plug to both. Gives me a little more scope for mixing and trimming.

Has a good envelope, rolling requires a little mix work to get them axial and the up and downlines show perhaps some movement in the surfaces, but its not a pattern model, its for fun! I was surprised how much sky I flew in to start with, took some mental effort to bring in close. Knife edge was a lot easier too than expected, the wing configuration suggests a bit of elevator work to keep the line... but it hung in there nicely. Its certainly aerobatic, though true 3D is wasted on it, again, not within the design boundaries so not really relevant! It will hover though, but more kite-style than torque-style!

No real production issues in mine, u/c is fine on the grass though you need to be gentle and gentler still as the autumn comes in. Cooling to date hasn't been an issue, though I would be of a mind to channel something over the motor one day, just for peace of mind. A friend bought one and I have to say his fuz was less than well prepared, some over-large gaps and a poorly fitting tail, as well as one aileron was almost separated. We toiled well over the 30 mins on this one but got there in the end, local model shop was great, offering all the help they could but we had it covered, some tape and small tube of no-nails type adhesive filled and covered up the embarrassment.

Mine has been flown now for maybe 30+ flights in blustery and calm conditions and it does what it does. A 47" all-time classic with servos, motor and esc for around £110? Its a bargain. Surely an Acro-Wot next?

Edited By Artistic Aero on 06/10/2010 17:01:23

Posted by Artistic Aero on 06/10/2010 16:50:16:A 47" all-time classic with servos, motor and esc for around £110? Its a bargain. Surely an Acro-Wot next? ............................

Edited By Artistic Aero on 06/10/2010 17:01:23

£110, another £10 down and I will buy one

Pegasus Models £100 + postage.  I ordered one at 4:30 this afternoon, when I logged on this evening I had a message to say it's been dispatched!

Now the decisions, 4s A123 or 3s LiPo, 2300, or 3000mAHr?  Which model do I steal an RX from?  To paint or just go with the stickers? 
Why is life never simple?

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 06/10/2010 21:32:25:
Pegasus Models £100 + postage.  I ordered one at 4:30 this afternoon, when I logged on this evening I had a message to say it's been dispatched!

Now the decisions, 4s A123 or 3s LiPo, 2300, or 3000mAHr?  Which model do I steal an RX from?  To paint or just go with the stickers? 
Why is life never simple?

Just been to their site to order one  --  but  --  £117 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 07/10/2010 12:24:54:

still there, a Weekly Special at £17.00 off! Allow for another £8.50 if you need it posted

Thanks, ordered. Took quite a while, could not order through our filter. (can't post here through the filter either)

Wonder why the offer wasn't mentioned on the listing for it?

Marc

Yes I think I am and I'm quite embarrassed about it. Hai Chu at Ripmax must think I'm a right noob.

It's been quite a rollercoaster and hasn't stopped yet:

* Really excited from the early part of the year on their announcement
* Managed to bag one of the first after their long awaited release
* Delivered next day. Couldn't build & fly because of the tail wheel issue
* Waited 2 weeks for Ripmax to decide how to help
* Family holiday for a week
* Old fuselage sent back
* Replacement fuselage received
* Finally built
* Maiden flight (Mon 4th)
* Second flight (Tue 5th).........jammed aileron and disaster

She flew so perfectly too, a real joy.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 07/10/2010 13:23:00

Big  to Pegasus Models - order the Wot around 4:30 Wednesday afternoon, that evening I had an email to say it had been dispatched and when I got home from work Thursday evening there was a big parcel waiting for me.
I honestly think it would be possible to get it airworthy within 30 minutes of opening the box, but only if you throw away the trim sheets.  With applying the trim, plugging in a receiver and setting ATV and rates it took me1hour 20 minutes but as it's dark in the eveings, a maiden will have to wait until tomorrow. 
One thing I did was to run a film of UHU-Por over the control surface hinges to reinforce them, they are much thinner than either of my MPX Elapor models.  Overall surface finish seemed very good, with none of the dimples I found on both the Funjet and Cularis.  Mouldings were all accurate with no force needed to assemble anything, nor excess slop in the assemblies - with one exception.  I would have preferred to see the base of the rudder being a firmer fit in the tailwheel/horn bracket. 
Current drawn on a fresh 2250 LoonMax 3s lipo was 35A - does that sound about right?

Posted by Steve W-O on 07/10/2010 12:47:23:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 07/10/2010 12:24:54:

still there, a Weekly Special at £17.00 off! Allow for another £8.50 if you need it posted

Thanks, ordered. Took quite a while, could not order through our filter. (can't post here through the filter either)

Wonder why the offer wasn't mentioned on the listing for it?
 Ordered it yesterday nlunch time,and it was here about 10 this morning, another plus vote for Pegasus' speed of service.

Mine will have to wait until I have finished my Twinstar though, then I will look at it.