New Foamy Wot 4 by Ripmax

DAVID CLIFFORD

Purchased my wot4 foam-e for £117.00 local model shop.

Few issues with the rear end design, the rudder hinge (grove in the EPO) was cut to deep and had already started to split!

Also the where the fin bottom fits into the tail wheel assembly this appears a very poor design, small piece of EPO on the fin bottom less than 1cm held with a tiny screw which really doesn't do the job!

Anybody else had similar problems?

Got over the hinge problem by installing two strips of white PVC tape down the hinge grove on both sides in effect making new pvc hinges which seems to have done the trick, good movement and very secure.

As far as the fin bottom/tail wheel assembly goes I haven't really found an answer...may have to get the glue pot out!

Little note to 'Chris Foss' 'Ready to fly in 30 minutes'.........not unless there is better quality control and a few design changes in my opinion!

JC

Advert

JC Didn't have any issues with hinge lines on my model and the tailwheel mounting is sound. As for the method of linking the rudder to the tailwheel it does look a little fragile, but has so far survived 5 flights of fairly vigorous flying, including high speed flick rolls, without sign of trouble. Time will tell. If you didn't bother with the decals it could easily be in the air in 30 minutes assuming all is sound. David

Being a WOT 4 fan and wonting to try gas, I saw in the april RCM&E Ripmax was going to bring a WOT 4 XL 120 size, so I invesed in a not so cheap 26cc petrol engine, hight power servos, etc ready for the late spring delivery! it is now September and still no signe of the XL so come on Ripmax when will we get the XL late spring 2011?   

Hi,
New round here. Great forum. Used to fly planes years ago. Been into helis for a couple of years but not really got the hang of it so have recently returned to planes. Subsequently my 9 year old son wants to fly planes now so I bought him one of these. Don't want him wrecking my nice ic's quite yet
Maidened it yesterday afternoon. Found it was running low on power in less than 4-5 mins. Using 2200 3s 30c batts. Bought it in and the esc is incredibly hot as are the batteries. So went back to the model shop yesterday and he swapped the esc for a 40 amp one as he didn't have any other wot 4's in stock to use for a swap. Something that concerned me was the motor, esc and battery are very enclosed. There is no airflow over any of it. I have cut some neat holes in the cowl to get some air in there.
Flew again today and had the same problems. We also flew with the motor cowel and spinner completely removed. 4 mins in and again loss of power. The motor was very hot. The esc was hot and my battery was mega hot and swelling. Not good. Going to take it back tomorrow and get the motor changed as this is the last thing that could be wrong. I have flown all of my batteries in my parkzone extra 300 and I do about 8 mins and the esc, motor and batteries are always cool to luke warm at worst.
We love the wot 4 foam-e as a plane but can't figure the electrics issue. Hopefully the new motor will solve it. I still feel the lack of airflow into the esc compartment is a major design flaw though.
Cheers, Rich

Edited By Richard Williams on 19/09/2010 23:25:09

Edited By Richard Williams on 19/09/2010 23:26:16

I understand there have been some quality control issues with the ESC and I guess therefore the Motor may be suspect. I have swapped the stock ESC for an ACE 40A ESC out of a Mini Titan. It is programmable and seems to give better performance overall. However, I did not have any issues with the stock ESC, I just wanted faster throttle response and a prop brake. I adjusted the timing setting and seem to have more power now, again it was not short of power to start with.

I broke the gear on a heavy landing it was easily repaired but as the grass has now got rather long in the field I use I have removed it. In performance increase was marked! I also looks great in the air. Landings in the long grass work out much better and so far I have not had any problems or damage. 

Richard

Out of interest I am getting 7 minutes flat out before I set up for a landing, Motor, ESC and battery are warm but not hot. I never fly it for more than 8 minutes  using 2200 batteries but I think they would be good for 9 or 10(max) minutes if not flat out for the whole flight. This was true even with the stock ESC. 

I did 8 consecutive flights of 7- 8 minutes on Sunday and the aircraft performed really well. 

Hope you get the problem sorted out as it really is a nice model. 

Edited By Victor Peirce on 20/09/2010 20:16:46

Hi,
Not sorted today as the model shop was shut today. Will sort tomorrow.
Sure it's the motor as it's had 2 esc's in it now. I know the batteries are fine as they do 8 minutes easily in my extra 300. Although saying that I don't suppose the wot 4 has done them any good with the swelling up and high temps
How is everyone finding the esc being buried in the fuz with such little air flow over it?
Cheers, Rich 

Hi Richard

No problem at all with either ESC or motor, after flat out flight both battery and ESC are barely warm.

I can't imagine a Chris Foss model hitting the shops with  major design problems, I think you have just been unlucky and picked up a dud one I would suggest waiting for a complete replacement but I seem to remember you saying you had made some modifications so I guess that's no longer an option.

Best of luck let us know how you get on........it's a great plane!

JC

Hi,
In answer to the prop question. I was using the stock prop that came with it. An 11x8.
The only mod I have done is cut a small slot in the coweling to let some air into where the esc is.
Small update. Went to the model shop today and he has given me a very nice £30 Overlander motor. One of these.  I also have the 40 amp esc he gave me at the weekend. I have installed all this now but as the motor is a higher rated one I need to change the prop to a smaller one. The stock wot 4 motor is a 840kv one if I remember rightly. The Overlander is a 1440kv. The packaging says I'll need 10x6 - 8x4. So am going to go bang in the middle tomorrow and get a 9x5. Put the watt meter on and see how it all goes. We did put the 11x8 on tonight to spool up briefly to test for a few seconds. Nearly ripped my arms off. Think the 9x5 will be about right.
I think I may have come out of this very nicely with a nice upgraded motor and esc for nowt. Will report back tomorrow.
Cheers, Rich 

Edited By Richard Williams on 21/09/2010 22:22:58

Hi and welcome to the forum Richard. Thats quite a difference in motors there.....that replacement 1440 kv is pretty high for that size and type of model IMO, and I do worry ever so slightly that a 9 X 5 prop will be a bit small for Wotty.
I would be inclined to check the maximum current rating of the motor and esc and prop to get somewhere near that.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 21/09/2010 22:31:38:
Hi and welcome to the forum Richard. Thats quite a difference in motors there.....that replacement 1440 kv is pretty high for that size and type of model IMO, and I do worry ever so slightly that a 9 X 5 prop will be a bit small for Wotty.
I would be inclined to check the maximum current rating of the motor and esc and prop to get somewhere near that.

Hi,

The motor was far to powerful for this plane. Went back to the shop today with the intention of getting him to just get a replacement stock motor and esc from ripmax. But he has now kindly given me a E-Flite motor worth over £50. Superb customer service here. Anyhow, put the e-flite in tonight and wow, what a difference. Runs absolutely beautiful now. Nice and cool and motor is very smooth delivering just the right amount of power when needed. My son's going to love this plane. Think I may quite like it as well Result.
Cheers, Rich 

Hi Rich

Well done, the Wot 4 Foam-e is a super plane, for a beginner you can cut down the EPA and make it quite docile.

<Superb Customer Service> yes well beyond the normal, perhaps you should 'Air' their name so that we can give them a well deserved plug!

Let us know how your Son gets on!

Regards
JC

Posted by Edge on 05/09/2010 15:37:58:
Picked up a Wottie Foam E for £99.99 from Inwoods at the LMA Much Marcle show yesterday.   Good job I bought it straightaway as they flew off the shelves.

Since reading this post I have thought several time that that would be the magic figure for me, have thought about it several times, but just been a little put off by the niggles that have turned up.

But at £99.99, that would be the mark I would buy anyway.

I will wait, if they come down, fine, if they go up, I won't have lost anything!

Hi guys,

I got one yesterday and will, hopefully, be able to fly that baby tomorrow. Nearly no information available in Germany about that plane, so I do hope somebody in this forum can help me.

I'm searching for measured data for the stock motor. Using drive calculator programs I'm not able to find a comparable motor. What is the flying weight (approx.) of th WOT4 foam-e?

Thanks

Posted by Thorsten Schellenberg on 24/09/2010 14:55:46:
Thanks David

Thought it would be heavier, bu had had no chance to check it. Ordered a HackerA30-12L should work pretty well (1,700g thrust at 11x7 GWS GD)

Edited By Thorsten Schellenberg on 24/09/2010 14:58:19

Thorsten

I am no expert, but that looks like a more than adequate motor for the model.  The stock motor, at  800kv gives it a lively performance (for me, anyway).  Others may be better placed to comment.

David 

Posted by Edge on 24/09/2010 16:04:49:

I am no expert, but that looks like a more than adequate motor for the model.  The stock motor, at  800kv gives it a lively performance (for me, anyway).  Others may be better placed to comment.

David 

That's why I'm interested in measured data of the stock motor. Maybe it is even possible to use a smaller prop with the Hacker  A30-12L and increase flying time

I'm planning on doing some ground tests when I get my replacement fuselage and will be posting up the results.

I'm interested in the data for the stock set-up and would like to test the ESC thoroughly before taking to the air.

My replacement fuselage should be with me on 28/09/10 and I should have the data ready a few days later.