New Foamy Wot 4 by Ripmax

DAVID CLIFFORD

Take a butchers at this. I love my Wot 4 Mark 2 but cant fly it down at my local playing fields cuz its I.C and that would be irresponsible. So what do Ripmax do? they bring out a foamy version with all electrics and servos in, just add Rx and battery and away you go. all for under a £130!!.
Dont know about the purists out there but i think this is going to be sweet.
A friend informs me they have a balsa one on the cards too!

Views please.
D

Advert

Mmmm, thats put the cat amongst the pidgeons for me, I was going to buy the Britflight Hustle at the end of this month but I could wait a month and get this new Watt 4 electric, what do I do? Hustle or Wot 4? Hustle or Wot 4? I'm a Libran, how can I make that kind of important decision? I need help!

Heeeeeeelllllllllllpppppppp!!!!!!!

Answers below please.

Steve

• 3 months later...
When will we ever see the new WOT 4 Foam-E Mk2 ARTF ???

It was going to be delivered in April......then May.....now the back end of June.....which I doubt.

I'm going to order one today for £125 with all the motor, ESC & servos installed, however I was told by more than one model shop that they do not know when they are coming in.

I telephoned Ripmax sales who astounded me, here is the conversation:

Me:  "Hello, please can you tell me when the WOT 4 Foam-E will be shipping?"
Rip: "We have no date for these (nervous laugh)".
Me:  "Surely somebody in Ripmax has a date, you must have a massive order book on this product" (I know at least a dozen people who have ordered one).
Rip: "Hang on I will ask somebody......................no sorry, we have no date".
Me:  (somewhat confused) "OK, thanks, bye".
end.

I wish Chris Foss had done a deal with Horizon Hobby instead.

Anyone else have a better clue than Ripmax Sales?

Well I ordered mine in March through Kings Lynn Models (£114.99) but I've got fed up of waiting, and now my requirements have changed so I've cancelled my order and used the money to order an ASP 61 FS this morning to go into a Seagull PC9.

The guy I spoke to this morning at Kings Lynn Models said he has a very large order book for the Wot4 E but because Ripmax won't give a delivery date they have had to stop taking money with the orders. Thankfully there were no issues getting my money back and he was very sympathetic.

Well yes, I've ordered mine from the same place.....looks at email receipt.....for £121.74 inc P&P which is a bargain!

I rang the number on the Kings Lynn Models website today and they were very helpful and honest, so far I could recommend their service.

My LHS tried to charge me £139, robbing so and so's.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 21/06/2010 19:34:08

Why not just order a WOT4 Mk3 (or even boring classic) kit and build/modify it yourself; electric instructions are on CF website and is very easy to do. 

I built mine a year ago and its been awesome; i suspect it will fly better than a foam version, particularly in wind. 

Mine runs a 4S 4000mah lipo, turnigy 50-45 motor, 12x6 prop and 85A S/BEC. It has good aerobatic power and decent 12 mins (mixed) duration.

Ackers,

The main difference is in the size.  The new one is quoted as being 47" span and designed a a 2500 3S pack, which is going to suit a lot of existing cell packs.

I'm also in the market for one of these, but not sure whether to plump for the fully-geared foamie, or the balsa version.

tim

I already have a WOT4 Classic (I wouldn't say it's boring though), Tim is correct above about the size difference and design tweaks.

I only want it as a park flyer, I can nip round to the local school field when I only have an hour spare to fly, otherwise it's a half day flying if I go to the club.

The WOT 4 Foam-E should make the perfect quick get away / park flyer.

Allan

Is that a big school field ?  I'm wondering if you'd get a WOT4-E around.  I wouldn't take my T28 to the local field because it would need more than a football pitch (unless it were a still day).

The Addiction is my plane of choice for the park, uses less than a football pitch and flies true and agile.

My local field is the size of a cricket pitch, i.e. two football pitches side by side. Trees on two sides, roads on the other two.

Andy

Allan, there is always the Multiplex Fun Cub which is ideal for flying in restricted places. I fly the Britflight Hustle, with its 880mm wingspan I can chuck it in the boot of the car, with the wings attached, take a couple of 1300mah lipo's with me and Bobs your uncle, and I fly mine on a local school field in the evening after my club field has closed at 7pm for the day. I wouldn't be without my Hustle now.

Yes Andy, it's a huge school field, nice and safe to fly on.

Thanks for the alternative recommendation Steve but I just don't like the look of the fun cub with it's weird looks. Great to hear you have a Britflight Hustle, I think I will buy one some day when the mood takes me. A small low winger would be fun and the Hustle looks great.

I wish someone could get a date out of Ripmax or anyone in the know.

Andy

I used strong, sticky pads to stick the elevator and rudder servos in place, and their positioning I had to stagger so they didn't bind with each other, however, they did work a little loose and the servos were moving so I ended up glueing them to the side walls of the fuselage. That sorted that out but I did have to use a thicker gauge control wire, particularly on the rudder as I was using maximum travel on that servo and the wire was bowing when the servo arm was pushing. It still does to some extent but it works ok.

The only other thing I had was the c of g which I set up as per the instructions. This meant that the Lipo was sitting on the wing. In flight the plane was tail heavy, sitting on its tail. I now have the battery in the battery compartment and as far forward as it will go and this is much better.

I hope you have as much fun flying your Hustle as I do with mine. Let me know how you get on eh.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I posted a comment on the Ripmax YouTube video asking about the expected delivery date.

Ripmax responded by removing all comments and disabling comments on all of their videos.

I don't think they will win distributor of the year somehow.
I can only guess and expect a Christmas release.

Shame on you Ripmax, if you are having a hard time, let people know about it and they will be on your side. Burying your head in the sand will only frustrate customers further.

I feel for Ripmax.

To announce what is liable to be a very popular model, and then not being able to deliver is a commercial nightmare.

I'd love the opportunity to buy one of these models (either the foam or balsa variant) to do my B test on and use as a general hack, but now I'm looking for an alternative.

tim

• 1 month later...