Engine use to charge flight batteries

Just thinking as I was driving my car this morning, has the idea of charging flight batteries from using the engine somehow, ever been explored?
The obvious questions might follow to this, like why, extra weight disadvantage etc, but with today's modern electrics would have thought this could be possible?

And if it was, next we would then want longer lasting Tx batteries, larger fuel tanks to keep us in the air longer,  and the will and concentration to last longer ourselves so perhaps not a good idea after all !

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 11/03/2010 09:54:51

Advert

Well technically of course its perfectly possible to generate electrical power from the engine. I would have thought the problem would be "cleaning it up" to use for charging given how fussy modern batteries are if you try to optimise their charging rate. If we assume we're using NMh then charging for a flight pack is usually 0.2amps or there abouts - meaning it takes about 6 hours to charge a 1200mAh set at optimum rate. But I doubt they'd actually last 6 hours - so because of optimum charging conditions it might not be possible to replace the charge as fast as its being used! Even though the engine could easily generate the power to do it would be sub-optimum for the batteries to use all that available power as a high charge rate.

Anyway with 2400mAh packs available is there really a benefit? I can't fly long enough to run a pack that size down anyway!

BEB

take into account the losses in driving a generator, the losses in the regulator circuits, and then the internal losses in the cells themselves and I think you are on a hiding to nothing.  Much more efficient to just drive a prop directly from the crankshaft. 

I'd imagine diesel-electric trains are efficient (if they really are) only because the diesel can be run at max efficiency rpm at all times.

Hi Bob, if you're talking about an electric powered mode then hell yes no chance. The inefficiencies in the transformation from mechanical to electrical energy would simply overwhelm you. But I understood that DW's suggestion was just for toping up the Rx battery pack - not power batteries - hence my assumption about them being NMh's

BEB

I was 'talking' about topping up RX batteries with the idea of not just for longer flying, as I already mentioned it has too many  negatives to be of any use, but also for less charging time down for example at a whole day at the patch.
I fly IC and electric and to keep flying them all day, a good charging cycle is needed (one battery at a time for me), and for the IC not be be part of this, was the basis of my thoughts. Ok I would presume they would discharge (Nimh) faster than they could be charge, but maybe with the right electronics, the electricity generated from the engine could power the RX or servo's thus maximising the time of the flight pack.
Anyhow no worries, totally not practical, just wondered that all !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...