Typhoon builders discussion thread

hi I just saw this web site I bought this magazine for the thphoon plans

is it the hole plan that is out of scale r the plan that came with magazine any good.

am i too late to get replacement .

i will send email asking for replacement. 

i live in Morley Western Australia

61 bourne street , Morley Western Australia

from leslie 

• 1 month later...

I live in the U.S where the magazine hit the news stand in January of 2008.  I purchased it for the plans and ordered the moldings.  I received the moldings this week and discovered the scaling problem.  Any chance I could get a properly scaled set to use?

I am at:

D. Menzimer

6712- 126th ST SE

Snohomish, WA 987296

USA

Thanks 

Hi David, if you are in a hurry to start, you might want to try a plan print shop, here is  post of mine from prior regarding this problem, even after I recieved the proper set the scale is still a little out, if you ask the print to enlarge the original plans as set out below, the new prints should be bang on and probably only cost $5 of so. I did it myself no problems at all, and you can start immediately

Regards Marty,

Hi all,

I got to read the plans today when I got back to work, the scaling factor is 113.04%, so if you round it off as 113%, the di-hedral will come to approx. 64.795mm (say 65mm). As for myself, I think I will model the plastics at the present scale, and then Vac Form as a trial.......

Hi,

This is my first post in this forum, so here goes!

I've only been flying 6 months, learning with an IC Flair trainer and am happy to announce It's still in one piece! I am interested in building a model, so naturally this one caught my eye. I now have the plans but like to pose a few questions to those who are far more experienced than I am.

• the plan states a 60 size engine is needed, is this set in stone, or can it be changed?
  • Does it have to be a four stroke?
  • How difficult would it be to convert to IC power as the plan and article is based on electric?
  • Is it possible to add flaps?

Appologies if these have obvious answers, but someone could help, it would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
Simon

Hi Simon,

I'd say a 60 size two stroke is a good match for this model as most builders are struggling to come close to the design weight of 7lb! It would also be a lot easier to fit in the short cowl of the Typhoon than a 4st

as far as I remember the plan does actually show the position of a 2st engine mount and fuel tank for an IC version.

I have read of a guy fitting split flaps to his Typhoon, so it is very possible, although I didn't bother in an attempt to keep the weight down a bit.

here is where mine is at at the moment. Just a few odd jobs to complete and weathering to do. It will be powered by a B/L motor and 6s lipos, and should hopefully drive a 15" three blade Varioprop

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e245/walts_1/typhoonpaintjob005.jpg

HTH's,

Walts.

Hi Walts,

Thanks for your reply. I must say, your typhoon looks awsome, bet you can't wait to fly it!

Another question then (if you don't mind!), how did you create the cannon? I can't remember if it's explained in the article, but i imagine just carving up some balsa would work?

Also, Is it me or do the retracts used in the article seemed to stick out a bit when retracted? Have you experienced this when building yours?

Again, sorry for all the questions. Great photo!

Simon

Hi Simon,

no problem with questions mate

The cannons wasn't covered within the article nor on the plan, but yes i made mine from balsa. I'm not really happy with mine, I got them a bit too narrow at the wing root end. But the basic shape is made in two halfs. They should tapper from quite thick at the wing root  down to the join line on the full size cannons, then tapper at a slightly less angle out to the muzzle with a joiner strap around the join in the two sections. I done this by spot cyno'ing a large washer (should have been larger) to the wing root end of the first section and a smaller washer to the other end of the first section. Then the same size washer to the start of the next section and an even smaller washer to the tip of the second section. I then sanded between the two washers on each section to get a round tappering finish, removed the washers and glued the two sections together. then added a 'strap' around the joint and used robart wheel axle inserts cut down for muzzle's.

regarding the wheels, Yes Tony has said on here that he had to rush the proto type a bit to meet publishing dead lines, and didn't have time to set the wheels up properly. They do work correctly though as per the plan, but you will possibly need to carve out more of the ribs in the wheel well to accommodate the wheels depending on what wheels/ legs you use. Also It's well worth doing as Tony recommends and building the basic structure of the centre section first and spending a bit of time setting up and testing your retract installation before going any further.

Any other questions feel free to ask. Yes I'm quite looking forward to the better weather to test fly the Tiffie, but I'm going to spend a little while trying to add some weathering and general scruffying up a bit first

Cheers,

Walts.  

• 2 weeks later...