Typhoon builders discussion thread

I'm now at the stage with my Typhoon where I need to get the retracts and servos for the wings before I can continue. 

Which will suit this plane better, mechanical or electronic retracts? I've been looking here and also at the irvine model here but don't know which to go for.  The model will be slightly smaller and heavier than the original (see above posts).

• 6 months later...
Hi all. Just started cutting out the formers for the tiffy,(i know i'm a way behind everyone else!!) but wanted to fit a four stroke. I've been reading thru the thread and found that it's difficult to fit a four stroke without changing the design? I've got a spare ys63 thats a possible contender for the power plant. How many people actually managed to fit a four stroke?? Your help will be much appreciated. Or should i wait til the next special? I missed the hurricane or I reckon i'd have a crack at that

Apart from the obivious ,having to make a new cowl/ canopy/ retracts /wheel size,.
would it still be possible to scratch build this from the magazine plan. and maybe fit a 46 -52 size two stroke. anyone else done this

• 5 months later...
What are good IC engine options (2 and 4stroke) for the model , according to the plans that were printed in the magazine? I've already started building, and can make my own cowl/ canopy myself. Since I've already started, I'm going to "roll with it" as is, but I'm giving second thoughts to a subscription.I'm kind of stuck in the middle, here. It would be nice to know what the hell I'm doing. 

• 2 months later...
I have been considering building the Tempest from the RCM&E Special and by reading the forum have found the the plan is somewhat smaller than intended - I also read about the 'solution'... what is the solution? Having decided to build the model a couple of years since buying the Special I am not aware what this solution is. I would most probably go the plan pack way, so does this mean I will have to buy the 'right' plan?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I've nearly finished mine (after 3 years !!!)
It has come out much heavier at 91/2 lbs with over 1lb lead. I fitted a rcv 90cd and had to cut a box into the firewall to accommodate the carb. The engine is still a bit forward and there is a gap between the spinner and cowl, but, hey ho, its not for scale comps, so won't matter too much when its in the air (if it gets that far!!)
 Any comments on what it may be like to fly being so much overweight? I'm not that experienced a flyer. Just how critical is the CoG? I think mine is at the most rearward point given on the plan.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony, I built one soon after it came out but it flew like a brick, lasting a couple of flights. I put an OS 70FS upfront which was around the recommended power source but with in excess of 1lb in lead upfront to balance the wing loading was dangerous. As with alot of plans the AUW estimate is extremely optimistic to the extend of almost being misleading. I have built quite a few models from scratch, but I think this TN design is over-rated. THat's my view and I am sure there loads out there that disagree, but you can only speak as you find. Best of luck with it mate! 

Adrian,
thanks for the comments, I'm now more nervous than ever!!!

I'll let you know how it goes when I eventually get up the nerve to try it!

I have fitted flaps to mine, so that may help, and I'm told that it will need to be flown fast to keep it in the air , so landing may be a very high speed and interesting affair as our strip is not that wide.

Cheers

Tony

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...