Typhoon builders discussion thread

Thanks for the info. Tony, that gives me some good ball park figures to be going on with. You must have been very confident in the model to risk two expensive packs in one flight, think I'll be using some good old fashioned lead in place of the second pack

The kitting continues................nearly there, but keep getting dragged away for domestics

Thanks,

Walts.

Tony

Picked up the collectors edition magazine in a Barnes & Noble (large chain bookseller) while visiting friends in Jacksonville, in the north-east of Florida. I live just outside Washington, DC, and though we have the same chain of bookshops up there, there's no guarantee that my local Barnes & Noble would have the mag.

"Borrowed" web connection off the friends we're staying with and read about the plan being undersized - now glad I didn't spend out on buying two copies of the mag to get a spare copy of the plan. The mags come out at $10.00 in the US

Despite having made an early New Year's resolution to return to 'OD" models and stay away from kits and other peoples' designs, I might have to break it a little for this one. The Typhoon is just too much temptation, more so as I have an electric motor setup that will handle it.  You really have captured the brutal looks of this superb fighter.  Hope your shipping dept can handle an order to the US - will be getting up with them once we're back home.

Thank you for an excellent example of a lesser modelled type

Regards

Dereck Woodward

Save you wondering - yes, my name occasionally appears in print in UK mags ...

Hi Adrian,

I've already started two build threads for this model, one here because it's my 'normal forum http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,45045.0.html and the other one here because a friend expressed an interest to see the build http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766626  They are basically mirror threads other than individuals coments, don't think i could cope with running three threads on the same model though

regards,

Walts

• 1 month later...

Hi all from the Gold Coast, Australia

Dave Bran and I must have a lot in common (I am an ex- boilermaker), estimator and a draftsman amongst many other things, and have for the last thirty years believed in Murphys Law - if it can go wrong, it will...so I excercise the carpenters motto measure twice cut once (that means check and recheck).

To be honest I have not even looked at the plans yet, left them at work over Christmas by accident, so I don't know if a scale was put on the page any where, how ever, being a draftsman myself, I always have a scale for each page I draw, even if it is numerical e.g. 100mm @ A3 etc.. as opposed to a ruler on the page.

I have found plans for a foam Venom and scale up to 2.0 metres, can't remember if they are a Tony plan, but I always find something on the plan to use as a scale reference and enlarge/reduce plans to that reference, you can't go wrong.

For all those modellers out there that want the true scale plans, I suggest getting a print shop to scale them to the correct size, pretty cheap even though annoying, at least you don't buy an extra mag.

Another option would be for Tony to model the out of scale cowl and canopy to match the plans, the same motor may well fit (Tony can sort that), leaving the Mini-Phoon lighter and a better available power/weight ratio, although loading would be up, but a smaller Lipo could also be an answer, what the hell I might even model the cowl and canopy myself, and try vac forming as my next modelling effort.......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum (just bought the special issue and saw the problems) and I was hoping I got in before the cutoff date for the replacement plan. I hope it doesn't come in another issue because in Oz we have to wait long enough now for each mag from UK or US. Just in case, my snail mail is 11 Louis Street, Maryborough, Queensland 4650, Australia.

Cheers for now

Geoff