Typhoon builders discussion thread

Bertrand,

I believe the CNC part and plastic part come from two sources so I guess they will arrive separately.

The wings use 2 & 3mm Lite Ply which is much stronger when compared to balsa but doesn't add that much weight. Bottom line is my prototype typhoon used the same parts and materials as found in the production part you are currently buying so you are not disadvantaged.

Just remember to keep the back end light by selecting light balsa sheeting for the rear fus, the tail and fin 

tony 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

I'm new to rc modeling and decided to make the Typhoon from the free plans in my brothers magazine. I've spent many hours of time and quite a bit of money so far (wood, tools etc) building this model with the intention of ordering the mouldings when I need them.

Now, having read this forum, I see that my efforts are pretty much wasted since the plans are the wrong size.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed.  Do I bin everything and start over or is there a way of making the pieces at home?

As you can imagine I'm a seriously miffed bunny atm. How can such a major mistake be made by what's meant to be a leading magazine. I've just bought the latest 'special' of the magazine for the plans that are included. What surprises does this plan hold?

Huw

Your efforts are not wasted at all! You simply have build a .40 size model instead of a .60. So what? i'm myself considering building this "small" version. Now : the moldings. Finding a smaller bubble canopy (an common shape) shouldn't be too difficult. Cowlings : well, you have the shape on the plan. I would build a wood one. Some more work actually, but.. Please don't throw away the work already done!

Bertrand

Thanks for that Bertrand.

what wood should I use for the cowling? I intend using an IC engine so am a bit concerned about any risks the heat may pose to the wood. I don't want it bursting into flames during flight as I'm sure my lack of flying skills will break it quickly enough

My total lack of knowledge has led to a few problems during the build so far, not least being sold normal ply instead of lite ply (shopkeeper saw me coming) which has led to the model being quite heavy compared to what it should be. Also managed to cut a few pieces totally the wrong shape now I've seen the photo gallery

Still having fun building though

Don't worry about the engine setting the cowling afire! A coat of epoxy inside the finished cowl will be OK. Use thin ply an blocks of balsa wood and then carve and sand to shape.

A heavy model can fly (even if a bit faster) , provindind it is perfectly balanced.

But er... This Typhoon is DEFINITELY NOT the model to begin with, regarding flight learning I mean. For this you MUST try first for example any ready to flight you'll find (square shape, high wings, flat wing profile). Buy one with the correct size for the engine (+ radio) you'll re use on the Typhoon, to save money.

Bertrand

David,

I am quite new to building and flying, and I have only just looked on this forum as I was interested to find thinner wheels for the Typhoon, when I came across the news about the plan size. (explains the wheel sizes somewhat)I also was a little dismayed, as I have already bought the vac pack. I started building only to find the cowl was too large and now I understand the reason. You sent a message out regarding a solution on the front page which seemed to pacify the worst hit members, sorry, but front page of what?

Thanks.

Thanks also to all, the comments here have been really worth reading, I just wish I'd found it earlier.

David, once I got home and checked the extent of the work involved, deepening the wells and retract mount holes, also shortening the oleo's I bought, I think I would be better served with the new plans. The amount of ply left looks quite small to me, and I am a little concerned about the strength of the wing after removing enough to fit the gear. What's the best way of getting hold of the new plans? I take it from the article they should have automatically been sent with the mouldings.

Thanks.