2.4 module vs dedicated set

Ed Darter

Hi, my birthday is coming up and I have an edf itch I really need to scratch. However, I am still on 35mhz so a little nervous about potential glitching. Looking on the als hobbies website they are doing a deal for a Jr 9 ch module and ar500 for £79 which seems like a very good price. I have an older tx as well as my pcm9 x2 so it is an option to be able to leave the current fleet on 35mhz and transition to 2.4 over a period of time, but what would I miss over getting a dedicated 2.4ghz set ? The only problem it would give me is that if I got the module I wouldn't be able to afford the edf.... but you have to start somewhere I guess ! Ed

Advert

i used a 2.4ghz module for a couple of years while i changed over my model receivers now i have everyone on 2.4ghz i changed to a dedicated 2.4ghz transmitter which transmitter do you want to put the module in also decide which type of 2.4 you want to use either fasst style which frequency hopping the whole spectrum or using spectrums which only locks to two channels i fly with both but only use the spectrum on indoor helis i prefer futaba transmitters for feel and programming remember eventually you will buy a dedicated 2.4 transmitter and this will depend on which receivers you have

Thanks all, still not decided. If I go for it I would go for the Spektrum DSM2 type as opposed to FASST as I have JR TXs currently.
Timbo - the leads are my primary concern as well. What does model match do then ? (apologies but getting up to speed on all this 2.4GHz techno stuff !!
Something like the Frsky is possibly an option but personally I'm still a little nervous about the legality of some 3rd party kit in the UK, and being my clubs safety officer I need to be seen to be squeaky clean about this kind of thing ! From what I understand they don't hop at all though do they ?

update - just looking on the FRSKY website, cetainly seem to be more professional than some others I have seen, but still concerned that I would be buying into an alternative technology to the 'big boys' with the associated risk that would bring.

Edited By Ed Darter on 29/04/2010 09:27:35

Clearly there's some contradictory information on these systems.   The review that I saw, admittedly not a UK review, tested the RF and reckoned it hopped throughout 50 odd different frequencies. 

I'm not sure what's needed for UK legality.   I assume the stuff is CE certified or it would be illegal to sell it at all in the UK.   Is there concern around compliance with fitting a non-JR branded module into a JR set?  

I don't fly in a club environment, so less concerned about the formalities and paperwork, but I still want to be both legal and safe.

Ed - Model Match means that with a dedicated Spektrum transmitter (but not with a Spektrum module) the receiver will not respond to the transmitter if the wrong model has been selected.  Effectively the receiver is bound not just to its "parent" transmitter, but to the specific model memory on that transmitter.  So you can't take off with ailerons reversed (or whatever!) because you've selected the wrong model on the transmitter.

Tony, I have a Frsky module for my Optic 6 and it bears the CE mark etc. I do not think GC, nor any other mainstream supplier, would risk selling non-complying equipment, so I have no worries there.

As I understand it, and I speak as one who knows next to nothing about radio, all the actual transmission business is generated from the module, not the transmitter, which is just there to give you some switches, sticks and knobs to move around. It's the 'human interface', if you like, so I cannot see that the choice of Tx has any influence over compliance with radio emission regulations.

I see no reason to be concerned whether using that combination would not be both legal and safe.

Pete

Pete, no expert myself but I believe its the module & TX together than need to be certified. The CE cert could then presumably be put on the module (and makes a bit of a loophole in that how do you know which TXs that CE cert applies to)

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the subject will jump in with a definitive answer though.

Again - only a suspicion but looking at the certificate on the Frsky website, I get the impression they have self certified. Not illegal in itself, but does raise alarm bells in my mind. I could be very wrong on all of this of course !

Testing for the CE approval seems to have been carried out by Beide Product Services Ltd,
which I have to assume is a bona-fide company independent of Frsky . I cannot see any way in which Frsky would have 'obtained' a CE approval fraudulently so I am content that all is above-board.

I can't really see that it would be possible to test the module with every possible Tx - that's like suggesting every Rx must be tested against every possible Tx, wouldn't you think?

Pete 

Just been looking on the Horizon hobby (UK) website as there is a new generation of Spektrum modules out that have the aerial incorporated (no flying lead to snag on anything) and they have this paragraph :

Spektrum modules have of course been tested to meet the appropriate EC legislation pertaining to their modulation type (EN 300 328), that’s why they carry the CE mark. The modules however are tested and meet the regulations as individual items. In an endeavour to induce absolute confidence in their regulatory performance when installed in their hosts, and to satisfy the request of the BMFA, they have also all been individually tested when installed in each of all of the compatible transmitters.

Sounds like Spektrum at least do go to the length of getting the module / TX combo tested and approved..........

It also suggests that the older style modules can be converted to this new case type - but can't find any details at the mo /

I just wrote a long reply, just for this ***** site to log me off on posting it!  There's nothing saying Spektrum used an external test facility, and I don't think that's a requirement anyway.
FrSky used Beide labs as stated by a previous poster. They also list all the valid transmitters on the certificate on their web site.  As I understand it, it's up to the manufacturer or importer to confirm that it conforms.
In brief, FrSky - good gear, used it since I got the very first set in the UK. 
There have been no more problems reported than with any other manufacturer, in my view it's the best of the 3 Chinese systems I own, and from what I've seen at the club, it's as good (and as reliable) as Spektrum, just lacking the satellite receiver functionality.

typing corrected!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 01/05/2010 09:41:16

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 01/05/2010 09:43:06

• 3 weeks later...
Well I bit the bullet at the Thames Valley Airshow and bought the module and 9ch RX. Also bought 2 AR500s to start converting the fleet over. Now into that messy period where I have some 35MHz & some 2.4GHz so need to carry 2 TX's..... hoping for my 1st 2.4GHz session tonight.
35MHz RX's don't fetch much 2nd hand any more do they !!!!!  (

• 7 months later...
One difference between modules and integrated sets is that all the modules I know of (with the exception of the original Futaba 10C) use a PPM input to interface with the module.

With a dedicated transmitter the stick positions are fed directly to the digital circuitry, reducing latency and supposedly improving response and "feel".

Whether the average pilot would notice this on the average model is open to debate...