Ripmax Freewing Eurofighter

Tim Mackey

james,

I am probably poking my nose in where it's not needed, but better to do that than see you get stitched up !

I am sure that once you have left good feedback, you will have zero chance of a paypal claim if the seller decides to do a u turn.

maybe tell the seller you will leave feedback IF he sends a replacement, either that or you will pursue the PP dispute. It's a hard nosed way of dealing with it, but it beats the other option.

The best of luck whatever you decide, I am looking forward to seeing pics of it built

Advert

They were my initial thoughts John but the whole episode is documented in the Ebay resolution centre where the messages are stored, I won't close that until the replacement arrives so I have top cover from Ebay if it all goes nasty (which I doubt it will).

They have asked me to pay for shipping at $45 or £28 in sterling for the replacement and I've agreed to that as it would have cost me that to return this one.

Now I know they are sending a new one I tried the boiling water trick on the damaged foam, it still requires some glue for the cracks but I'll post the results up later today after I've worked my magic on it, I think you'll be surprised just how amazing boiling water is on these foam models, I know I'm liking the results

Not sure why that second link isn't working now?

Are you still interested in one Tim? I let the Chinese store know how the damage was caused and they are adjusting the packaging.
There's also an airframe only kit available on eBay from a British seller.

Interested yes.....but in a sensible position to buy one - no.
My hangar content has increased 30% since I first posted this, and I simply dare not add anything else - especially with 3 newly finished yet still unflown models in the fleet due to poor weather, and a further 2 still in boxes

Haha, I feel your pain! I've now run out of space on my workshop walls and ceiling to hang planes.
I may (depending on how a job interview goes in 30 minutes time) have to severely thin my fleet out, I'm looking at making the move over to the UAE!

The UAE Air Force have just bought a fleet of 6 C-17's and are looking for experienced guys to move out there and work their fleet.

I already work over there for 3 months a year with the RAF so I know pretty much what it's like and the temptation of more than doubling my salary tax free is a little too much.

That'll be us Ed, you'll also enjoy much more Herc traffic, much less VC-10 and Tri-Star and then later this year, Airbus A330 with air to air fueling pods fitted.

Thanks, I look forward to receiving it

Just out of interest Ed, where do you fly?  I'm thinking of setting up a local club but need to know who would be interested.

Edited By James40 on 30/05/2011 21:42:29

Yeah, will be sad to see the VC10s go, have grown up with them, still remember them all parked at RAF Abingdon all those years ago!
Keep promising myself a trip to one of the photo vantage points round Brize but never got round to it yet.

I fly at north berks near hanney / grove. There is a Witney club I believe but I think they are restricted to electric only. You are more than welcome to come and see if our club takes your fancy....

Well I just need 6S LiPo and I'm in business.

It took quite a bit of setting up and replacing parts I wasn't happy with, namely a few ball joints on the canards but they now feel rock solid, the vectored thrust also needed some adjustment on the servos which needed a panel removing and re glueing.
All done now though and once LiPo'd up it'll be ready for action.

Just received an email from the ebay store, the replacement airframe has been shipped and a tracking number supplied.

I was going to maiden the one I have today but it's a little too windy at 12kts for a maiden I think?

Thanks for the heads up on the LiPo's Tim, ordered a 6s 4000mAh pack to go with the 2 3300mAh packs I have already, should give me ooooh about another 30 seconds duration!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so I said I'd post up some info on the Eurofighter and my progress so far, so here goes:

My original purchase from ebay turned up damaged as shown earlier in this thread, the nose was crushed and the rear fuse split.

I did some reading on the internet and found some info on using boiling water on the foam to make it expand and reshape, I had nothing to lose so I stripped the servos out and tried it. The store I purchased the plane from were sending me a replacement anyway so the kettle was filled.

As you can see, it made a vast improvement, not 100% fix but 80% better, it was still a little soft in the area that was crushed so I added a ply brace above the canards as these are fully operational and would cause the front fuse to twist under load. Also added ply to the sides to strengthen the canard mounting points.

Also swapped the servos to metal geared high torque mini's as the canards are quite large and will have a high load on them.

So the finished repaired model looked ok with a bit of paint on the nose on the damaged area. Couldn't find a paint to match so I ended up mixing a few shades to try and touch it up, not perfect but it looks ok.

It doesn't look it from the picture but this thing is HUGE !!

Compare it to my 60 size Mustangs

See what I mean

So anyway, the replacement airframe turned up a few weeks later and instead of putting it in the loft I thought I start "Project Typhoon".

The plan is to glass the full model and fit uprated parts to cope with the weight gain, and that's whats happening.

The fuselage is in my workshop and has had the first coat of epoxy and glass, I now need to rub this down, put on the second epoxy coat, rub that down and paint her.

Power was going to be supplied by a 7 blade Skyworld EDF with HET motor, I bought these ready to fit but it's quite a heavy unit although it doesn't half provide some thrust and very quiet with an almost jet engine sound.

I wanted something with more power but nice and light, I gone for something very nice instead.

A Stumax 90mm EDF that will produce 7.3lbs of thrust on a 6S setup but half the weight of the alloy unit and it sounds absolutely amazing.

I'll keep the pictures coming as the build continues.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 13/06/2011 20:11:17:
Gonna have to start calling you Sally me thinks
Nice job on the repairs James, looks fine to me - so a spare fus will be in the hangar now too eh

HaHa, yes I know ! That's the mustang shelf, the other shelf has a mixture I promise

I am David although I didn't intend on owning 2, I ordered one a few years ago and at the same time I was bought one for Father Chistmas to deliver.

I've got one with an FG-20 in the nose, the other is an electric with an E-Flite power 110 up front, a scary flying weight of 12.3lbs on an 8S setup (manual said it should weigh in at 10 to 11lbs on that setup).

I've not flown the electric one yet, it's still work in progress, I'm removing the flight pack for the servos and fitting a ubec to try and reduce the weight!

The feather weight Eurofighter is incredible, very stable when you just fly a standard circuit but with the option of going absolutely mental on high rates with it's vectored thrust.

• 3 months later...