I seem to have lost the urge.

Garthy B

I'm busy, it's windy, it looks like rain and 'it might crash like my Cap did', have meant that I've not had a bird in the air since just after the Scampton warbirds. It hasn't helped that a couple of the lads I fly with have left  me to work in the desert for a few months. I'm sure they'll be moderately upset to hear that I've lost the urge to fly, they'd worked with me from my beginnings to get my confidence up. Yet, without them and the outdoor season coming to an end, I'm sure that my interest in the hobby will be all but dead by next year.
I've already sold my Aurora 9, and my two I/C aircraft will probably fall to the classifieds within the month.
I am reluctant to sell up completely, but.......time will tell.

What will it take for me to not give up all together?  There is still a hefty ember of interest in my heart for this hobby,

Advert

Once a modeller always a modeller.....even if you drop out now you WILL return in the future....it gets you like that...its a disease!!!

Maybe you need to try something different....an electric project maybe...EDF?....A floatplane? Even a helicopter....or try gliding/slope soaring....

Thats what I find so facinating about this hobby...theres always something new/different to try.....I don't believe there is anyone who can honestly say they've done it all in aeromodelling.......

Steve, I started with Heli's moved to Electric through EDF and out the otherside to I/C. It doesn't help that my most local club is 9 miles and a 30min drive away...the club I was using was 27 miles and a 45min drive! And I could only fly on weekends.
All of these are excuses, I know, however I did drive to my usual field one sunny, calm summers day to find it deserted. Not a sole present, so I had to turn around and drive home...more than a little disheartening after you've packed the car, etc.

I think my underlying concern is that a winter left in the garage will kill most of my models. Cold, damp and wet  has already seen a forgotten foamy needing all of it's servo's replaced due to corrossion. That's why I was considering selling up.

I do like the idea of the robust super cub though? mmmmm

You don't say whether your garage is attached, detached, or of straw, sticks or brick contruction, but  ...  if possible, have you considered keeping your models cosy, warm and dry by keeping a small heater in there during the coldest, wettest weather.  You could even partition the garage or line it out with polystyrene foam to keep it warmer for not much money.  The small greenhouse heaters or a small electric heater cost very little to run and many have a thermostat to keep the temp just above freezing.  I've used a small (max 700W) electric oil-filled heater for several years in my admittedly insulated garage and it stays about 5°C and bone dry throughout the winter, and costs little more than a couple of light bulbs to run.

As far as the doldrums are concerned, I can understand that.  Sometimes it can seem a bit samey, and we need something new to rekindle the flame.  It can be a new model or just flying somewhere different, visiting a good show, taking a model on holidays etc.  Or setting yourself some new flying skills targets.  There is also no doubt that having a mate to drag you out when you can't be bothered is also a huge help, so having a model like the FunCub or Mini-Mag that you can fly alone and almost anywhere is a good idea.

Your frustration is understandable & travelling miles for nothing
would test the enthusiasm of anyone.
I packed in the whole game in the early '90's after a series of expensive
crashes & returned a few years ago with renewed enthusiasm.
Don't sell anything else just yet. Put some after run oil or WD40
into the engines & wrap everything in old sheets or bubble wrap.
RW's electric oil-filled heater is a great solution.
A robust easy-going park flyer like the models mentioned would
be a good idea to keep you flying.
Why not have a crack at building?It keeps the modelling juices flowing
when flying is out.

Re mothballing engines. After-run oil is good, WD40 is bad. It will remove any light rust in the engine and turn it into a grinding paste. If after-run oil is not available, if the engine is to be stored for a long period better to use any normal motor oil to stop rust, as long as you rinse it out well when resuming use.

Steve
Yes ! Couldn't agree more.Once a modeller-always a modeller & in my case ,as I suspect with lots of others who can't physically do what they used to anymore in mid life  ,it's basically enjoying again what you could hardly afford to do years ago when you learnt to use what you could get hold of to make something that flew.
Don't flog your gear Garthy B .
See how lifes circumstances change .

Hi Garthy, i too am thinking along the same lines, i have been a model builder and flyer for over 30 years, but now i feel like giving up, i have spent literally thousands of pounds on the hobby over the years but get so fed up with either working when it is flyable, or it is wet and windy when i am off !!

The interest is still there it is just getting me down that circumstances ( ie weather, work, family ) means that i do not get to fly.

Regards
Chris.

My answer to the windy stuff is to go to the slope - i appreciate that you may not have a suitable site close, but if you do GET SLOPING!

Wet weather...hmm - a waterproof suit - or get building/repairing something LOL

Oooops - just noticed the OP lives in Norfolk - forget sloping then

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 16/09/2010 18:43:36

Hi Tim, building, repairing? been doing both for over 30 years, now i have a very expensive, extensive, fleet of aircraft, just fed up with not being able to fly, ( we can only fly I C on a wednesday or saturday), trying to get everything to play ball on these days and coincide with me being able to have leave is non-existant !

Regards

Chris.

hello chris-no mention to you about indoor flying....give it a look up on via the BMFA web site...if it's happening near you give it a go...no wind or rain to worry about...get yourself a contra heli to kick off with and go along and join in...you will be amazed at what you see flying...... dont  tell everyone though..... 
 ken anderson...ne..1.

i have been reading this thread with interest as the same has happened to me once in 30 yrs,i was getting bored with my ic flying,i was going down the club strip doing the same old manouveres every time, i did try diffrent things to do with my aircraft  like a bit of aero towineg but it did not hold me for long,so i stopped flying  for a few weeks,then i had the urge and came back ,i took up slope soaring and that rekindeled my interest in flying, now 8 yrs on i do electric and slope ,my main interest is slope and have met loads of great guys out on the slope ,my advise is dont sell ur models yet ,find a new interest and im sure that not to long down the road u will wanna come back ,welll thats my 10 pence worth hope it helps