Cutting the tip off a 2.4Ghz aerial

kc

Advert

I'd suggest thinking of it this way...

The Owner knows that part of his equipement is damaged.
He's not sure if this affects the "servicability".
God forbid he has an "incident"....

I'd suggest that he may not be insured....?
I'd suggest that a good prosecution lawyer may well be able to use this...?
CAA would probably take a very dim view of this, if it came to their attention....?

Therefore, Is it really worth taking the risk?

Ultimately his choice....

EVERY DECISION HAS A COST... CAN HE AFFORD TO MAKE A BAD ONE?

Edited By Simon K 3 on 15/10/2010 15:47:32

Wow,

I've been out of circulation for a couple of days - even missed my Thursday flying day - and when I last looked at the thread there was only Timbo's one word reply which I thought said it all. I was absolutely amazed to see the number of posts! Why take a chance - even though the original post seemed receiver orientated?

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 16/10/2010 18:55:16:
And before you ask.....because how can be SURE that the cable didn't suffer a fracture or severe strain during impact - this could cause an intermittent fault, or loss of range, or complete failure at some point - if not now.
Come on guys...is it really worth the risk.

Your right the shock could have been transmitted to the main circuit board via the case ,so best buy a new transmitter and be safe

Well if you seriously suspected that, it would make sense to check the PCB visually or get it checked out by a service agent but in the real world there's a far more realistic chance of referred damage to the adjacent wire or connection plus there's always the question of why Futaba thought it worthwhile to put 25mm of wasted plastic on the end.

Perhaps the idea is to give you 27 nanoseconds warning that you're about to trim something useful off the end?

It should be apparent by a visual inspection if there is any possibility of the aerial having been potentially shortened. If it is apparent there is either a hole or a conductor is seen, then it there is a risk that the aerial has been damaged.

However if only plastic is apparent after a close visual inspection, it is not unreasonable to assume that the damage is purely visual.

In this case a range check would be prudent.

Some of the responses seem hysterical. The set is still legal if it conforms to the appropriate regulations. Remembering that a non CE compliant device cannot be resold legally. But can still be legal for use. Insurance should not be invalidated.

Firstly Thank you Keith for bringing this to my attention. I am the Chairman of the club involved here. I would like to point out, that when I was made aware of this incident today, I immediately contacted the member involved. I have instructed him not to use this radio until it has been fixed. Either by sending it away or returning it to ripmax personally. I would like to also thank all of you for your responses to the thread. Obviously this cannot be used to fly and I hope the pilot in question wouldn't have flown with it. Colin Barnby Chairman bmfc

• 2 months later...
Quote " But how can he be breaking the LAW, it is at worst a free flight model"       No its not !      How can a rc model be compared to a free flight model ? Erflog obviously has not trimmed any FF models for a long time or forgoten how to . Free Flight model also tend to be a bit lighter than the average 120 sized rc model . I realise its supposed to be a fun argument, but I (and modellers I know ) have actually seen and had to deal with this type of approach to model flying and it is at times  frightening .  IF its broke  dont fly it get it checked.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 25/12/2010 12:25:37

just read this thread. and Im now wondering why.. why all the answers when the simple one was no. get it fixed. Why even consider wrecking a plane , hurting someone ,or damaging property. seems a bit thick if you ask me.
its not like this sort of information isnt made public from the maufacturers and if one reads the instruction book it will say dont operate if damaged.
good to see the club chairman stand in and take effect.. good on that man.

This thread is now FINISHED!

It was started by me to obtain technical opinions to enable the club committee to have good reason ( if necessary ) to ban the gear if the member tried to use it.  I understand the member concerned sent the Tx away for repair.