How long our Models Last

Stephen Grigg

I long to have  a model in constant use until its birthday.Im reminded of the fact that stick it in the air and there is a point where you have to land it.The only models that have gone in to there second year are mainly because they are flown occasionally and I ensure there is an expert around if I get panicy and get him to land it.Ive just read the edotorial of Graham Ashby where he mentions the demise of his Seagull Mew Gull,so even experts have problems.Even our own Timbo has had 2 unexplained arrivals with new models so no one is safe from this fate.The nearest model to its official bithday is mr Harmon Rocket,and I intend to fly it regularly until Xmas day when I built it.Gary Pollard has a Pulse XT 40 that gets loads of flights constantly and in a shorter time Ive had 2 both lost in strange cicumstances,the first that caused me to change all my radio gear and the second which managed to switch itself off on take off.Recently I had an on board battery fail on my favorite vintage low winger.That was Torture because it happily flew round in circles for some minutes before landing itself perfectly about 100 yards begind our pitts and I collected it undamaged.What a Hobby.

Advert

When I used to fly I had models last anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of years (or until I got bored and took the radio out to go into something else). I have only been back flying for about 3 months... still have both my planes (looking round for a large lump of wood to grip firmly ) so I guess I wil have to see how it goes.

My Veron 1 1/2 Strutter is around 30 years old, my Acrowot 20-ish, my Little Bit somewhere between the two.
A CMPro Cessna lasted less than a dozen flights, a YT Katana a couple of dozen.

I think the difference is that the Acrowot, for example, is on it's second wing, third fin and rudder, and the fuselage has been repaired so many times it resembles a baseball bat in density.  Still flies well though.  Anything i don't enjoy flying doesn't get repaired and soon finds a new home in the bin.
I think the only model I've got that's not been rebuilt at some point is the Little Bit, and that's because it's too light to damage itself.
It's just part of model flying, models come, models go.

I wonder again of the value of an "A" certificate regulations /buddy leads /instructors etc.versus experience ? Something is wrong if most of you guys accept the fact that your model won't last very long .Maybe a bit of free flighting enables you to trim a model out better .I don't know, but I haven't written off anything since I started many years ago .Just lost a few ! I'm not saying I fly them all all the time & as I've said before ,I tend to fly something until I fancy a new challenge & then put it to one side (in case it comes in handy later ? ) Probably why I spend so much time swapping engines & Rx's from one model to another but leaving servos intact & keeping a log of what settings are required for each & every model on paper .
Myron (with models just about everywhere in the house & conservatory & bits in cupboards meant for displaying plates and things --What an incredible 'er indoors I have )
She's my favourite model too!

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 23/10/2010 14:01:37

Myron, I am not sure I accept the fact that my models won't last long however I do accept the fact that they MAY not.  I used to fly a lot when I was younger and crashing was just part of it. I learned a whole load of aerobatics etc that I would not have learned had I been affraid of crashing all the time. Admittedly most of the time the models were repairable but often they did not get repaired due to being to excited about flying something new!

I also had loads of models in various conditions, some I never got round to flying. Now after almost 3 months back I have an ERC Mustang, Parkzone Spitfire, Hobbyzone Cub (given to me as it was broken, now repaired but unflown) and various plans / parts around. I do have to keep it all in the garage though as apparently they make the house look untidy

I am not a member of any clubs and am wondering if I will. If I join a club I would have to fly a plane that they felt was suitable on a buddy lead until someone decided I could have an "A" certificate. Maybe I am being a bit uptight, but I like to fly whatever machine I like and sometimes it just seems like adding complexity to something we do for fun.

Or perhaps I am just getting old

I have 2 models that I fly regulally 1 Pulse Xt 40 2 Dualsky Extra 260. I have logged up 430 flights with the Extra and 275 with the Pulse over a 21/2 yrr period. Both are very airobatic and are flown that way in all kinds of weather all year round. They  are both electric and do not suffer with fuel soakage but that is the only difference to other members of my club who seem to crash frequently
Garry

I was just discussing this with the missus today as a result of the house suddenly filling up with planes. I'm not actually buying any more than I used to do when I first started....just crashing them less.
I quite often come back with whole models now - unheard of in the past.
(It did help getting my Tx repaired I have to say) 

I  Know how that works tony once the crashing stopps.
Some of my planes must be getting on towards twenty years old, the other thing is the arrival of lovely foam arf planes and arfs in general, once upon a time i would build one plane from kit  , once a year, now i buy a couple of arfs every year...
The strange thing is the way the arfs break more often than the kit builts. lol

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 23/10/2010 13:59:38:
I wonder again of the value of an "A" certificate regulations /buddy leads /instructors etc.versus experience ? Something is wrong if most of you guys accept the fact that your model won't last very long .

Unfortunately, experience can't be trained or bought and for most mere mortals it means that they either remain very much within their comfort zone (and make very slow progress) or push the envelope and gain their experience through the school of hard knocks.

These are the average people, of course and we do see exceptions who make extremely fast and effective progress (usually on the younger end of the spectrum) and those whose co-ordination is poor or ambition is very much ahead of their ability who will often return from a flying session with a filled black sack.

What seems clear to me is that without  "A" certificate regulations /buddy leads /instructors etc. the model attrition, new pilot drop out and personal accident rates would all soar. You must be one of the lucky individuals who, through your free flight modelling experience, attention to detail, natural ability and probably a sprinkling of luck has progressed through inexperience without incident but I'm sure this doesn't hold for the majority.

I don't want to sound confrontational but, quite frankly, despite the deep level of experience and expertise you claim, I'd have more respect for your views if you backed up your assertion that you could do the A test inverted - to my knowledge there's nothing in the regulations stopping you doing so. Why not show us all (even conventionally) how it's done? Are you speaking from direct experience of a (modern) club environment or are your opinions on clubs and certification purely anecdotal?

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/10/2010 01:00:29

Some models will have a more stressful life than others.  Even with ARTFs there is a learning process for construction.

My first Addiction lasted 300+ flights, as a model they are hard to crash, but when they hit the ground they are almost irrecoverable.

My Dualsky 260 wrecked itself through aileron flutter, probably because of a build error on my part.

Experience does not mean less crashing, some of our most experienced club members have a far higher crash rate than I do.  They push the limit so much more than I do.

I admire those that get straight back in the air with great gusto after a crash.  For me, a crash will affect my flying for months, I still shudder when I remember my Saphira spiralling down with no radio link (it landed in the middle of a sports track).

Martin has a proper point to make; good club training is really really important, we need newcomers to crash in the right places.  Good clubs support newcomers through these incidents. 

Martin
I had my fair share of hard knocks believe me when I began in the early 50's 'but being the kind of person I am ,I did not like rules & regulations from day one .On the other hand,If there's something I don't understand or can't do efficiently then I'll read up about what NOT to do ! When I got my first sailing boat to live aboard on  is a classic example I decided what I wanted and got it after reading loads of "cruising" type books
Regarding the "inverted " A-test -I really don't want to have to prove what I can do to anyone .It wasn't like that in Cornwall in the 70's when I was teaching myself & others how to fly.R/C .It was fun ! Maybe I shouldn't be commenting on the situation nowadays with ARTFs etc .I appreciate that it's a damn good idea not to let peeps loose with something they havn't a clue about in the vicinity of bystanders .Hence I endorce the "A" cert.
I don't need nor want to prove anything .
By the way -there's no way I can manage a nice smooth rolling circle .(& I've tried )

As a member of the "Hard Knocks" school of learning I don't see how you can fly and improve all the time without having the odd prang. When I started landings were the sticky point, then basic aerobatics until after a while it became more advanced aeros.

Learning to fly fast, accurately and close to the ground cost me a couple of models (I lost my favourite Wot4 in a high speed, low level, inverted pass mistake). but hey, that is learning for you. I am thinking about having a go at 3D flying and part of choosing an airframe for this is the assumption that I will hit the ground a few times, so rugged and cheap to replace is important

However I agree that for a beginner having the right person to teach you is important (thanks to anyone who offered me advice in Plymouth 20 odd years ago!)and I hope all those I tought have enjoyed or, perhaps, are still enjoying the hobby! As for doing the A test inverted... I would be prepared to give it a go, it could be a good laugh at least!

Edited By Dan Hedges on 24/10/2010 17:35:38

Bob, I agree completely. If it was finger trouble, or you can pinpoint the cause (even if that means admiting it was your own fault) then something can be learned from it. It is only when you really don't understand what went wrong that it is a major concern as you don't know what you could do to prevent it in future.

My Vega glider is 25ish years old, I think the secret to its longevity is it is pretty tough and strong being of glass fibre construction.

MPX Gemini Bi-Plane is three years old and on its 2nd motor and ESC, again its tough, light foam construction seems to be helping here.

Even my crunchable balsa models are still going strong, but they have had several repairs, depends if you want to fix them or start again with a brand new one

Tom

I have been out today flying my Cermark Banchee E3D which is a very fragile ARTF.

I won a Axi 2820/10 with a Jeti Esc in May 2005  from a RCM&E letters page and bought the Banchee soon afterwards not knowing much about electrics (some say I still don't). After a lot of flights from a small field surrounded by trees and hedges, with 8 cell Sanyo Nicads I broke it in two   with a very heavy landing.

I repaired it and flew it many times until I did something similar and completely demolished the fuselage from firewall to behind the wing so I bought a new fuselage for it.
I flew it again many times, smashed and repaired the fuselage again, then put a Super Tigre 0.34 in it, strengthening the nose area.
Then Lipos became very popular so I modified it again and put the Axi back in.
The u/c is the original as is the wing, which has only a few small patches to punctures in the covering.
It would take a bigger electric motor but I just fly it for fun on windless days like today.