How long our Models Last

Stephen Grigg

Advert

That reminds me of the pheasant that walked in through my open back door, when I approached it it flew into my model room, hit the window, spilt a container of dirty thinners all over my workbench, destroyed a small balsa fuselage.
I grabbed its leg and threw it out the door, unfortunately it hit the edge of the open hatchback of my car on its way out (accidentally).
Last week one of its relatives got its own back by causing £133 worth of damage to a different car, even though I tried to avoid hitting it      . - one pheasant.

Eric and Richard's tales remind me of the silliest way I ever lost a model. Foamy indoor shockie, nowt special but I liked it.

I'd been to one of the indoor sessions on Saturday afternoon at Deeside sport centre and  was late back. We were expecting my sister and her tribe for around to join us for a meal. So I put the model on the hall table and dashed upstairs to grab a shower before they come. Whilst I'm in the shower I hear them arrive so I get dried and dressed and walk downstairs. There's my model, still on the hall table, but now its got my sister's 4 ton "handbag" plonked on top of it!!!!

How do you "not see" a 24" span bright white depron aeroplane? Of course little sympathy from SWMBO when I pointed out to her what had happened after our "guests" had left..."Well I've told you a hundred times not to leave 'modelling stuff' lying around in the hall" Humphh!

BEB  

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 27/10/2010 00:09:07

Hi Stephen,

Nope the Muppet on the sticks had all fingers and thumbs intact, it can best be described as a cognitive failure of electronic signals between the motor neuron functions in the brain to the hand eye coordination of the appropriate muscles controlling the digits moving the sticks. Commonly known as senior moments.

Just had 3 more culminating in multiple spelling mistakes. I know should  have gone to spec savers .

Hi Stephen,

In a word, Yes. There seems to be no point in sitting in your comfort zone and accepting you've got as far as you are going to go. You may accept that you do not want to progress any further at least for the time being, and rather concentrate on consolidating you existing skills before moving on.

There may be a point at which you can't progress any further because of reasons that  come with old age and such (I'm nearly a pensioner now, you know ) limited vision or depth perception can be a real problem, but we have to accept that and move on or in a different direction.

I'll never think I'm really good at what I do, always accept there's always someone better, and Analise the situation when it go's wrong, and when it's my fault I learn from it. Doesn't mean I won't make the same mistake again knowingly, just when I have another senior moment .

Apart from that the people who think they are perfect, really wind up those of us who are .

Cheers,

Crasher Chris.

Im exactly the same BB,except  I  am a pensioner but still have to work full time and business is a bit much like hard work at present.My knees have played up badly this year,but the medics have found a cure,stronger pain killers,, great..Hey Ive just discovered  bold and itallics..Therefore I believe flying is an extension of movement that Im unable to do bodily,I can do with my model.

All of a sudden Hugh,youll have an explosion of models because you wont crash as often,then youll be looking at all these models trying to decide which ones to take on the day,and suddenly come back with a load of bits wondering where it all went wrong.Thats when you think you can fly but you cant,thats where Im at  at the moment.Im flying around doing all sorts of aerobatics,and I either calm myself down or frighten myself, or have a long walk with a black plastic bag

Oh now I feel better!

Only started flying this year and I have had my fair share of planes going to the 'Hanger' in the sky!

No problem getting them up, no problem flying around, it's getting them back down that's the problem

Nice to know even you experienced guys have problems. But I now have a high wing trainer and a low wing sports into their third month (that's a record)  er....perhaps I shouldn't have said that

Jc

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 27/10/2010 23:19:33

Hi All,

I've found that years ago crashing was all part of the flying experience, and just accepted that it was going to happen with some models it was an extremely short flight. After a while the crashing turned into a rough landing, with the bit between take of or push off  and arrival stretching out a bit longer each time. The actual flying bit was the model providing me with various challenges to over come in order to achieve another rough arrival. This carried on for some time until I was eventually controlling the way the model flew, normally bumbling around in any piece of sky that was empty.

These days I have a mental picture of what I want to do long before I arrive at the field. Normally go through the checks and try to fly the pattern I have in mind. I doesn't always go to plan, so I try it again until it does or I have to go home. The more flying you do the better you fly, which for me is keeping my eye in and trying to keep it all smooth.

First flights with a new model are gain height, set the trims, check the stall, and try some spins, then just fly smooth circuits both ways. After that it's any aero's that you think the model and you are capable of and just play until you get them as smooth as you can.

Cheers,

Chris.

If I'm honest,  My current hangar is about 6 months old on average.
I have a Dragon Lady 40 that I got for xmas last year.  That has only had a few flights as it is a bit of a handful speed wise and not my cup of tea yet for landings (Recently took the 46 AX that was in it out and repaced it with a 55AX).
And a Pheonix Tiger 40 Low winger that is about 9 months old.  I have sorted of solo-ed on that (the 46AX has gone into this).
And a 60 Stick that I bought second hand.  It's been around the traps a bit but flies fine on a 70 FS.
And a 10 sized stick that I built a new wing and tail feathers for (given to me by my instructor after his son crashed it on maiden).I have a 15 LA in that.
I also have an e-flight Mini Pulse that I haven't even flown yet...

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Stephen,

Been for a cardiac rehab session today, and I need more structured exercise . told the missus I need to do more walking, ie to the patch and back, collecting models that have overshot ect . Now model flying is officially good for my heart , it gets better.

Hugh, Jaycee, 

Sounds like your enjoying your selves more than I did when I started out, keep going it'll all come together. Like Stephen said, keep flying em and buying some. You'll soon have a hanger that's overflowing.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 28/10/2010 20:25:46:
Hi Chris,,My physio just gave me girly exercises for my knees,I do more at work during the day,but  my son has given me more macho ones with a big ball that has me rolling around all over the place!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter has a hamster - he rolls about the place in a big ball as well! Something simular I imagine Stephen - a wonderful image!

BEB

Hi Stephen,

We've still got that exercise bike, with loads of stuff from the kitchen in the spare bedroom, so I can't use it at the moment. Rolling about with the ball sounds fun though.

BEB,

My daughters hamster topped itself on the frame of it's wheel, at least that was our verdict when we found it belly up. Recon it tried to bailout while it was going round.

Chris.

Ooh, that'sa good topic !

My Balsacraft FW190 is about 15 years old but has lived in the eaves for most of that time - not because I don't like it but because since it burnt out the Race 600 BB that was in it, I haven't got around to fixing it.  I keep looking and thinking about the surgery needed and then other things take priority.

I also have a Howard Metcalf Sun-something that's even older but that has only flown three times I think - not sure if it'd give me anything my current fleet doesn't.

I have a Graupner Tiger Shark EDF in the box that has been part built for a year and a BypYak thats in it's box untouched that is three years old.  Think there is also a foamy Gile that is even older.  Maybe I need to put some of these on ebay !

There are about half a dozen others in the eaves that are between 5 and 8 years old.

Of the ones that are flying/being repaired:

WOT4 - 5 years old
MUS - 4 years old
YAK - year old
Draken - year old
Elektro Junior S - year old
Tucano - 5 years old
Rogue - 3 years old
Easy Street - three years old although the Balsa in it is probably more than 10 years old .....  
Mini Panic - 2 years old
Blade CP Pro 2 with a Huey body - about 3 months old
Walkera 4#3 - 3 years old
Ultimate FF - 4 years old.

It's strange that some get put in the eaves and seem doomed never to see the light of day once they get a knock or some newer shinier thing takes it's place, whilst others just keep on getting fixed and fixed. 

I had several GWS foamies that kept on getting fixed until they were more glue than foam, including a Tiger Moth that must have had about 20 re-incarnations with new livery or motor or something !  My Twin Star was the same.   My WOT4 and MUS seem destined to follow the same path while every time I damage the Rogue (easily done !) I tell it I'll only be fixing it once more.

GG