Can any plane do a "power off" loop?

Simon Chaddock

I was intrigued to find that whilst the 60" Giant Dragon can easily accomplish a power off gliding loop the 20" Baby version, with a similar layout and wing loading, will not. No matter how steep or fast it is dived  it simply runs out of speed before reaching the vertical.

So it does appear that size matters!

Does this mean that for any particular configuration there is a minimum size of plane that can achieve a gliding loop and what attributes would help a small plane to achieve it?

Not really a burning issue but........

Advert

As Steve says, the ability isn't size dependent, but depends upon the aerodynamic set up. All that us needed is the ability to generate enough excess lift over that required for level flight.
Mike 

Yes it is an amazing video.
It is a pity there is none of Tex Johnson rolling the prototype Boeing 707!

The point I was making is that both of my planes are of a similar configuration, wing section and wing loading yet the big one can easily build up sufficient kinetic energy in a gliding dive to achieve a loop, the small one can't.

I suspect it is primarily due to the Reynolds number of the airflow which is scale dependent although the relative surface finish and construction accuracy may also play a part.

In technical terms the planes have different shape Polar curves (sink rate versus speed) although their minimum sink rate is similar.

The question I asked myself is what, if anything, improves the 'speed' end of the Polar curve on such a small plane.

That old timer is fantastic!
Well I am going to the field in an hour and will try a power off loop with the acro wot and report back,if it ends in tears I know who to blame

Edited By r6Dan on 16/11/2010 10:38:59

David Jones 6
The Baby Dragon is already none too stable in pitch.
The problem is simply it cannot reach sufficient gliding speed to complete a loop. No problem under power it gets round in 6ft!

From my Google research it appears that at low Reynolds numbers the airflow tends to be laminar and viscosity become the most significant factor.
This would explain why the small Baby Dragon is unable to glide loop. Its terminal velocity is simply so low that it has insufficient momentum to carry it over.

I wonder if there a wing section as this size that would give a terminal velocity/lift combination sufficient to complete a glide loop.

What Tex Johnson did with the 707 is obviously embedded deep in Boeing's memory as I understand the CEO told the 777 test pilot nearly 40 years later  "....and no rolls!"