Pick a Plane 2011 - chat and FW-190 build

Advert

I'd be very happy with any of the major FW190 variants, but would prefer (by a short head) the 190D, which I would describe as "characterful" rather than "butt ugly". Would also prefer not to have the tailwheel dangling in flight but I guess that practicality may dictate otherwise.

Certainly appeals to me but then I just love aircraft from both WW1 and WW2 as well as the period in between, it seems the phrase "necessity is the mother of invention" held true through this period; I will not have a problem adding this one to the hangar, should look good next to the ARCHAEOPTERYX

Edited By Tony Richardson on 13/02/2011 18:22:27

Congratulations to the 190 fans - I'm sure they will enjoy the build

Personally I'm a little dissapointed. As the person who first proposed the Rapide as something a bit "different" from the run of warbirds we've had in recent years I was pleased, and a bit surprised (pleasantly), to see how well supported it was. Well done guys - maybe next time eh!

But, I'm genuinely happy for those that wanted a 190 - and I look forward to seeing loads of them taking shape!

You are all going to build one aren't you - I will be checking up

BEB

There is a ruck of A-series plans for the 190 available, I have a set produced in Germany for an A4 at 1/4 scale if anyone is interested as I have no use for them, much prefer the later D series or Ta152 as they had far more variation, all the short nosed A and later series look the same,

Edited By Terence Lynock on 13/02/2011 22:41:30

I have no interest in warbirds, but searching on the net for the 190 brings up a huge number of photos, drawings and even plans.

The more I look at the shape of it, the more I like it as a plane. It looks as if it would be more stable than a Spitfire, in the air and on the ground, and it looks a more modern sporty plane altogether.

I may well end up a convert and build one. It will not have military colours, I'm not interested in its background, or trying to make it as scale as possible, it just begins to look like a good low wing sports plane that would be nice to fly.

I would be interested to hear if my feelings about the way it would fly have any substance, from people who have flown a model 190.

Posted by Tony Richardson on 14/02/2011 00:43:16:
If possible Could you please make it big enough to accept the Saito 90 Radial, that would add a little more realistic sound I think
Somewhere around 70" should be big enough for the Saito 90 Radial...

But it'd be on three sheets again and you'd have to photocopy and trace to get a complete wing.
The wing, by the way, could be done with Foam core...

Cheers,

Hugh

As an aside there is an almost original 190A flying in the US now, they reconn it is at least 85% original and was salvaged some years ago from Russia, for its time it has proved to be a very technically advanced aircraft design.

This bird has an original BMW801 radial unlike the replicas being built in Germany these days.

Edited By Terence Lynock on 14/02/2011 15:48:08

Edited By Terence Lynock on 14/02/2011 15:50:01

Posted by Terence Lynock on 14/02/2011 15:34:55:
As an aside there is an almost original 190A flying in the US now, they reconn it is at least 85% original and was salvaged some years ago from Russia, for its time it has proved to be a very technically advanced aircraft design.

Looking at photos of the cockpit, it doesn't look like a WW2 aircraft.

I did notice that the u/c pivot point is very near the leading edge, which will involve a different construction method to usual for the retracts

Posted by Steve W-O on 14/02/2011 15:48:36:

I did notice that the u/c pivot point is very near the leading edge, which will involve a different construction method to usual for the retracts

Yeah, I noticed that the wing is very thin where the retracts would fit... Damned difficult to fit them in! And thickening the wing on this bird will be VERY noticeable (And yet, somehow Kyosho have managed it with their 50 sized ARF)

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 14/02/2011 19:48:14

Posted by Hugh Coleman on 14/02/2011 19:39:21:
Posted by Steve W-O on 14/02/2011 15:48:36:

Yeah, I noticed that the wing is very thin where the retracts would fit... Damned difficult to fit them in! And thickening the wing on this bird will be VERY noticeable (And yet, somehow Kyosho have managed it with their 50 sized ARF)

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 14/02/2011 19:48:14

Looking at the Brian Taylor 60" plans, it looks thick enough. But on those plans I am puzzled by the wing shape, the part of the wing at the root where the chord is greater (almost like a 45deg piece) looks much bigger than any of the drawings I have seen. It seems that so much care has been taken to get the fuselage profile close to the original, that it is not likely to be a mistake or change for need to fit the wheels in. The wheels on the BT one are about 3 3/4" diameter and just over 1" thick.
The plans say it is a 4A.

Yawn, another Warbird...............and another one already done to death.............Oh well, saved me buying the mag....................

Posted by Tony Richardson on 14/02/2011 00:43:16:
If possible Could you please make it big enough to accept the Saito 90 Radial, that would add a little more realistic sound I think

Just a thought, can we have it small enough for Indoor Flying?...................

Posted by Bravedan on 15/02/2011 10:30:49:
Yawn, another Warbird...............and another one already done to death.............Oh well, saved me buying the mag....................

A warbird was not my choice, not at all interested in them.

After the result was anounced, I thought I would have a look at the choice.

First impressions were that it is a nice looking sport plane.

After doing some more reading and looking at drawings of it, I have started to loike it more and more.

I will never finish it in military markings, and I don't know how scale the final version will be, but I am certainly looking forward to it, as a possible sports plane build, and very interested to see how TN interprets it, and his construction methods.

I'm glad I didn't dismiss it with a yawn

Edited By Steve W-O on 15/02/2011 11:12:59

Been have a read through the post so points are noted.

The 190A short nose is my particular favourite and the plan is to go with this one.....I know BT has produces a plan but I believe it was the later D variant . The size will be around the 60" mark for 60-90 size although I'm leaning towards electric on this one and the last two 'pick a plane have been IC. The retracts will be an issue so I think Unitract will have to be the saviour here.

The key here is to keep the design as simple as possible (without cutting scale corners) so builder can expect something far simpler than the BT design.

Tony, that is very interesting. The plan is marked FW 190 A-4, but looking at it, it the nose does look longer like the D version. It might also exp0laijn why I could not find the wing shape on drawings of the A4.

Very pleased to hear your comments on the construction being simpler, hopefully that would make it lighter, the plan says his prototype weighed 8lb 5oz, as electric would be nice, and not too expensive..

The two seater looks nice, doesn't look as if it was botched or added to, looks clean and neat as well.

Looking at the drawings, the tail plane and elevator looks very small, as if it might be a difficult one to land with no power if the speed gets too low.

Still thinking white and blue or red would look good

Im With You BEB On That One!

A Multi Purpose Airliner With Caracter,Thats Commercially Viable,Will Be A Real Treat
For Every one Who Enjoys The Build Side Of Things.......................Cant Wait For The
Vulcan Either! We Are Really Privilaged To Have designers Like TN,PM,LT,TH etc........
Really Kicks The ARTF Boys into Touch!

Regards To All