Pick a Plane 2011 - chat and FW-190 build

Hi All,

I did do a rough count,and put it in the other thread,but you are all right the Mosquito is
winning.I do think that Kiwi G is right though,we should only have certain decades to
chose from.That way we could have something thats different thats still commercially
viable like i,ve already seen ie Boeing 737 airliner,you cant say that our American
readers wouldn,t like it,its American and they are very patriotic just like us Brits,or how
about Concorde loved and mised the world over.I think Airliners would be a nice way to
go,maybe one day!

Regards Steve Adams

Advert

Do you really believe a commercial aeroplane is attractive to many?

Commercial turbojet aircraft have been commercially kitted, Robbe doing a semi-scale model. The Sonic liner has been modelled by Multiplex, there may be  others. Yet how many make it to the local field?

Barry's efforts on behalf of the Whirlwind, did breath life into the competition. Gaining supporters and detractors. Yes the campaign added panache and emotions.

I can understand some of the reservation on warplanes such as  the B52. Try telling many North Vietnamese that it was a symbol of freedom. Yet to many of us in the west, that is what it represents, as long as we are not at the receiving end. This twin personality is typical of many military aircraft. Yet many of these aircraft are Iconic, either seen as defenders of freedom or symbols of an evil force.

Perhaps Home builds or racing aircraft or commercial aircraft such as the Pilatus Porter are morally more acceptable. Yet for many they are lacking in both soul and a place in history.

Edited By Erfolg on 31/12/2010 22:31:21

Erfolg reiritrates what I have been saying for 3 yrs, I promised myself not to get onto my soapbox this year (last), everyone has his/her opinions and no matter what points are good about the W.W there are others pointing out the bad points, and this may I say applys to all scale models.
Mossie is wnning, great news, yes ...there are several plans  kits and  ARF available, and as like the other frt. runners  WHY vote for a / any plane that is already accessable, go out and buy one if you need to.
Anyway ..............................................HAPPY NEW YEAR
last time...................vote 1.2.and 3  WHIRLWIND by WESTLAND
A.A.Barry
p.s.... any one want to buy a soapbox????????

Edited By A.A. Barry on 31/12/2010 22:53:23

Terrance

I am just finishing off a 44" Ta 152h, of my own design.

In this case producing a model is quite straightforward.  You can do it easily.

This is my second the first is a 36" version, just to small at that size.

Although I would be interested in a Fw 190D, at the size TN models. or just a 190A, new nose and tail inset and we are there at a D.

I understand your veiws Erfolg and Barry,

But i do also beleive it is time to break the usual WW2 Trend,not that there is anything
wrong with them,coz there isnt! Is breaking the mould to hard for some people to
bear,or is it just out of their comfort zone? Remember guys does it really have to be military - WW1/2 to be iconic........I think not!  What i was mearly doing was agreeing with
Kiwi G With the decade thing example say 1950 to 1960 and get only the 3 choices
(like we,re allocated now) With a differance ie............................................................................

1) Military

2) Commercial

3) Civil

From the time period above(example) that way we would all get a vote in all of the above
3 allowing for a bit more choice other than war birds etc,after all Erfolg not every one wants fighters,there maybe novices out there that may want just 1 big easy build/fly trainer for their 1st model,please let us not get hot headed about this,it is only voteing for what we would like to see,some one some where is gonna be disapointed no matter what the choice!

Happy New Year Guys

Steve

Hi Guys, happy New year to you all in the UK. We are just under an hour and ten minutes away from it here in Toronto.

This chat has been fascinating but I thought of an idea that might turn it all on it's head. Why not have Tony suggest a list of 5 or 10 models he would like to design and then we all get to vote for our choice from the list.

It would be different

Jack Higgins.

Hi Papa,

Happy New Year to one and all when it reaches you guys,did you see our display on telly in London? Got to be our best yet! I think your idea although suggested before is great, at
least Tony probably get more satisfaction out of something he would like,more than these heated debates! Still we are a democracy i spose,and evryone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Kind Regards

Steve

How about something from between the wars?
You could go civil with no problems.  Plenty of racers in that era.  Or you could go back down the military path with any number of US, British or Continental subjects.

A Hawker Fury would be fun, or one of the Boeing Bipes.

Cheers,

Hugh

Great idea Papa., I think Tony has an affection for models that are not readily available off the shelf ie Sunderland, Spruce Goose, HP Halifax, Airbus A400M,FW Ta-154  to name but a few if we allow Tony to give us a shortlist next year who knows what be on it I think the Westland Whirland would be a very strong contender ( sorry Barry somebody needs to get on the soap box for the Whirly ) it is a part of aviation history and should not be forgotten for its contribution to the aircraft industry at a very unstable time.

But who knows it could be an Air-tractor or some obscure aircraft we may not have heard of either way I think Papa has a good idea to let Tony choose a short list he could also follow Steve's  idea and set a theme ie military, civilian etc, just my two cents worth.

I am surprised that anyone thinks I only want a fighter.

I was trying to articulate the limited appeal of aircraft such as Airbus, or Commercial Boeing's.

I personally find FF competition models interesting, because of the diversity of models covered. But essentially these are one offs, designed and built by the modeller.

Conversely model manufactures need and want sales, to ensure the business is viable, in addition to doing what they enjoy, the making and the distribution of modelling products. On that basis the range will aways be of popular subjects, such as Spitfires, Tiger Moths for the UK market, Mustangs, Thunderbolts, Gee Bees for the USA market. The omission of VC 10, MD 11 et al, suggests no viable market, to justify investment.

I would guess that this competition has two proviso in what would make a winning model, firstly TN has to at least like it, this is the FF phenomenon . The second, is the model needs to capture the imagination of the modelling world of the RCM&E. The magazine needs the model to be commercially viable. This is where many models fall of the planet, as with any commercial venture.

The suggestion to have subject types and a constrained list of models seems viable. Even a good idea. As to whom would produce the list. that is in principal easy, it is the RCM&E staff. How they compile the lists is another matter, and down to them.

Happy New Year to all our readers !

The vote is heading for the WWII , complicated to build, easy to crash route again.

Obviously I am for a scale, pre-sixties, single-engined, mono-plane, with fixed gear ,  with/without  flaps.  Plenty of which are exciting, attractive, and aerobatic. 

Perhaps, instead of the result being decided by pure vote numbers, let an RCM&E editorial panel, along with Tony Nijhuis, make the design choice from amongst all the aircraft type suggestions put forward by us lot ?

PS : How is " Nijhuis " pronounced ? ?                

There is an assumption that some models will be always difficult to fly.

I guess that 90% of us have indoor helicopters, which due to the miracle of modern electronics, including gyro's have rock solid heading control.

Is it not possible to include such a low cost system into the build, if such a model type was to be selected, as part of the package/design?

Edited By Erfolg on 01/01/2011 13:48:35

There seems to be a woeful lack of original thought given for model aircraft designs being requested.

The aircraft that never made production would give a bit of variability.

Consider    TSR 2.

Gloster  E.28/39. first British jet,>>

De Havilland Vampire.>>

Hawker 1154.>>

Horten Ho 229>>

> >

I have a war time observers book that lists the DH Mosquito as a prototype.>>

However there a mass of drawings of types of German float and flying boats that seem to have been lost to the model world. >>

Surly there are better ideas than Spitfire, Me109, FW 190 & P39>>

> >

The problem I think is that most of the younger model aircraft enthusiasts are ARTF dominated and only see what the manufacturers want them tto see so the lesser known aircraft that have no appeal in the manufacturers world dont get a mention.
This in turn blinkers all the ARTF market to one way of thinking, what many are actually voting for is not for a plan to build a model themselves but what they would like to see turned out as an ARTF, just because RCM&E produce a plan for a particular aircraft does not mean it will have any influence whatsoever on what the ARTF market will produce.
The voters appear to have dug themselves into a circular rut of WW2, fighter or other, single engine, usually RAF.
There has to be just one jem somewhere that stands apart from all the usual swamp bait of Hurricane, Spitfire, Me109,FW190, Mustang,P47,P39 et al infinitum.

Posted by Clive Kerr on 01/01/2011 13:09:45:

Happy New Year to all our readers !

The vote is heading for the WWII , complicated to build, easy to crash route again

Clive were the last few planes tony designed hard to build easy to crash. I think not.
No disrespect to james 40 but an A10, you were kidding right, produced in the ARF  mass.
The RCME idea is for readers to pick a favourite, that being any plane be it mass produced or not. 
unfortunately as been said before most readers will only identify popular aircraft.
Thats why a theme would be a good idea next time to try to get people thinking.
At the end of the day its exciting to see what eventuates from the votes but now that the mosquito has been announced as a top runner the voting has been compromised.
As someone else said they were going to wait to see what top runners were so they could then vote for the one that was more likely to be built.
Betting on the mosquito getting alot more votes now.

I do wonder if a look at some of the private build aircraft might prove more inspirational, the likes of the Kit Fox is certainly pretty simple as a design, and quite different, a model could also be built to a large scale within the normal confines of a free plan. I think when we come to a vote like this it almost becomes the models we dream of owning rather than a practical model for our rough strips hence lots of warbirds and the like. In truth if you want any of the mainstream Spitfire, ME109, FW190, Mustang, and even the Mosquito, Lancaster and Flying Fortress they are available from any model shop. As Graham suggests now a front runner has been labelled the stone may have been cast.