Identify this A/C please

twilightflyer

Advert

Posted by David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 28/11/2010 08:15:20:
No sense of scale here Twilight but if it was powered by a McCoy 35 I'd say it must have had a 5-6 foot wingspan. (1.5-1.8 metres.)

Had it been smaller I would have guessed the Keil Kraft Ladybird on account of what appears to be a radial cowl.
 If I recall all those years ago it was about 5-6ft span, carn't remember anything about a radial cowl though.
Th A/C flew very well as I recall and it was flown at the disused airstrip at Ta-Qali, which is now the resident airfield for the twoo model clubs based in Malta.

I do hope that the modellers in Malta may see this request and hopefully reply to it, thanks in advance.

Ray

The Super Scorpion has fully elliptical wings and the fuselage does not have a straight line in it. The cabin is fully glazed right back to behind the wing.

The fuselage has a deeper belly in the cabin area and goes down to a narrow shape at the tail with sweeping curves. It has an upright engine fully exposed.

The undercarriage is an assembly with a front wire and a rear wire.

I rest my case.

Stentorian Colours are wrong should be yellow.
That photo that started this has a straight line along the bottom of the fuselage. Not the curved line of the Stentorian. Also the wings look as if they have parallel chord.

Lets look at this logically.

The model is large to be powered by a McCoy 35. In Britain we only had a few kit manufacturers. KK, Veron, Mercury and Performance kits.Skyleada may still have been in existence

IT is NOT a Mercury or Veron kit. The only KK kits big enough were the Junior 60, Falcon. Skyleada never made a big power FF model nor did Performance kits.

I had started modelling back in 52 so I would know the kits of the day.

From this I assume that it can only be an American kit which were very hard to get and very expensive in the UK at the time. I am not familiar with American kits of that time.

Edited By Peter Miller on 30/11/2010 08:40:22

I grew up in the States and flew Sterling Ringmaster control liners with McCoy 35. Pig of an engine in the UK it had zero compression until it was warm. We used to have a devil of a job to start them on a cold winters day. No whirly leccy starters back then, finger power only

Here is a Sterling Cessna 182 circa 1975/6 converted to fly control line witrh a Fox .19

Anyway the point LOL sorry, I had several US Sterling kits, and that picture Twilight flyer has posted isn't one of them (as far as I can make out.) I am with Stephen though, can't make out as much detail from the original picture at the start of the thread. Better go back to SpecSavers

• 10 months later...