Bit Cold Out--How much Flying are You Getting In

Advert

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/12/2010 20:02:49:
Ken, is that any way to speak of His Excellency King Enrico the First? I'll have you know that the Great Enrico (as we call him round here) is widely admired here in the North West as an enlightened leader of men - and occassionally women . In fact I understand he knows a number of occassional women

BEB

PS Long live the King!
Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/12/2010 20:03:21

he hate's it when people let out his secret..........he's wagner(off the X FACTOR'S)...long lost half brother..........

dont tell him i told you's.........

ken anderson      ne..1.

I've just had an hours flight time on my own. Not another soul there. Lovely sunshine and perfect still air. I think more people would have congregated if only we communicated better.

Here's some numbers I never thought I'd type :- 

Just charging an 800mAh battery, to see what my last 30 minute flight took out of it.
I only ended the flight 'cos I couldn't feel my fingers.. 

Hogster some tips:-

Do you have 3 ski's or 2? 

For 2 ski's (tail dragger) - Skis usually need to be able to move (front tip up and down) so that the model can sit on them at normal on the ground rest position, but also at tail up attitude during takeoff. So they need to be sprung to move between these positions.

You don't want 'em digging in during landing. So don't allow the fronts to drop too much.
A fairly neutral or slightly nose high attitude for the skis is good in flight.
They need to stay pretty straight, toe in or out will cause drag on the snow. 

When you're flying it's pretty much like using wheels, I have to use right rudder on takeoff as usual and there's a great demo of why. Torque causes the left ski to dig further in to the snow and there's more drag on that one.

This photo sort of shows that.

Also - HAVE FUN  and watch out for mini solid snowmen on landing or low passes! 

At the flying site today, 4 inch of snow absolutely pristine. The surface looked for all the world like a big white beach with fine wind ripples.

When I got home a tune entered my thoughts. As snow is sort of frozen rain the tune is.....Singing in......

Flying in the snow
Just flying in the snow
What a wonderful feeling
Just flying in the snow

The floats left some marvelous tracks, 'twas my footprints that spoiled the view. The wind that got up and the glare from the low Sun on the snow eventually sent me home.. A VERY HAPPY CHAPPY.

The model an ARC Ready 2, Irvine .53 engine.

what a difference a day make's...(could be the title for a song ?)...regular reader's will have seen the pic and post of yesterday's weather here in northumberland...the one where i had taken 'enrico' out for the day for a fly and had to have him back at the home before dark ?...well today it's all change...we are under(nearly) 6" of snow ! ...how cool is that ?  -03c  is the answer.......   ..

ken anderson   ne...1. weather station...weather to go out or stay in.....  

Posted by Chris Bott on 19/12/2010 17:11:27:
Hogster some tips:-

Do you have 3 ski's or 2? 

For 2 ski's (tail dragger) - Skis usually need to be able to move (front tip up and down) so that the model can sit on them at normal on the ground rest position, but also at tail up attitude during takeoff. So they need to be sprung to move between these positions.

You don't want 'em digging in during landing. So don't allow the fronts to drop too much.
A fairly neutral or slightly nose high attitude for the skis is good in flight.
They need to stay pretty straight, toe in or out will cause drag on the snow. 

When you're flying it's pretty much like using wheels, I have to use right rudder on takeoff as usual and there's a great demo of why. Torque causes the left ski to dig further in to the snow and there's more drag on that one.

This photo sort of shows that.

Also - HAVE FUN  and watch out for mini solid snowmen on landing or low passes! 

Thanks Chris. I have 3 ski set up on tricycle u/c. I have sprung loaded the front edges to be slighty up when flying .

Posted by iawnski on 19/12/2010 17:45:10:
just had a 10 min window so got the elec easy glider out with gum cam have a look c what u think ,,gee it was cold on the hands      Iwanskis video posted properly

Nice video iawnski, but I'd be interested in everyone's opinion on flying around and above a housing estate?  

Posted by Chris Bott on 19/12/2010 18:35:49:
Posted by iawnski on 19/12/2010 17:45:10:
just had a 10 min window so got the elec easy glider out with gum cam have a look c what u think ,,gee it was cold on the hands      Iwanskis video posted properly

Nice video iawnski, but I'd be interested in everyone's opinion on flying around and above a housing estate?  
 brave lad i would say.......if it had went pear shaped ...could have took some explaining......

ken anderson  ne..1.

Ken, Chris,

Not impressed at all, and what was that regulation regarding  flying within so many feet, so as to endanger any building, person or animal. I'm sure someone will know. That's just the sort of thing that the Local Authority will latch on to and blanket ban flying models of any sort in the area.

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 19/12/2010 22:11:55

Iawnski, I suggest you take a look at CAP 658 you can find it here

CAP 658 is the official Civil Aviation Authority interpretation of the ANO as it applies to flying model aeroplanes. Although the status of CAP 658 is as a "guideline" (it is not in and of itself 'the law' - only the ANO has that distinction) as it is published by the ofiicial UK body for regulating air use, the CAA, its has a very high level of authority. So much so that in the event of a modeller being prosecuted under the ANO for his/her actions then CAP 658 would almost certainly be used as the grounds for such a prosecution.

In CAP 658 Chapter 6, page 1 we read:

"Avoid low overflight of houses, domestic gardens, car parks, traffic or spectators."

I don't think I need add anymore.

BEB 

BEB,

It works just as safety law does, There is only the Health and Safety at Work Act and the Management Regulations which are enabling acts and as such only the health and safety executive can use them for the purpose of bringing prosecutions. The offenses can be under any other regulation of which some are strong recommendations, but ignore them at your peril.

Chris.