Piper Twin Apache PA23 -150 74"

Danny Fenton

Thanks Eric, there is a Mustang loitering here that I started in 2007 Just needs wings. 50 percent finished only 95% to do.....

007.jpg

008.jpg

some G10 has finished the opening. That will do til after glassing. I now have a pattern for the other nacelle.

Gone from bipe with too many wings to a twin with too many engines crook

Cheers

Danny

Advert

Hi Danny, I've started on one of Richard Wills semi scale Spitfires it will take about 2 weeks if the weather stays as it is. After that the next build will have two wings or two engines or both as I have to many single engine planes. A Saro London would be a good subject.

Cheers Eric

This is fascinating stuff Danny, terrific. (I have only just found this thread, so am looking back through some intriguing pieces of work and interesting techniques. Wow!

The aircraft pictured as your header on this topic belongs to a friend of mine and is based nearby, so if you plan to use that colour scheme let me know. Photos could be arranged. I see you got a good source of Apache photos a while back.

Hi John, glad you are enjoying it so far. The intention was to model mine on Foxtrot Victor, and would love some pictures, I did scour the web for some and found a few, but more is always good.

As you say I have several pics of TF-JMH from a great photographer Graeme Molineux, which is a lovely scheme too.

Any idea of paint codes for Foxtrot Victor?

Cheers

Danny

I shall ask the owner this evening by email.

I suspect the paints may well be to the old Piper standard, it certainly looked like that to me - shades that look very similar to the scheme on the Super Cub I used to fly.

G-APFV was G-MOLY at one time. John, the current owner returned her to the 'FV marks I believe because his uncle had owned her under those marks.

Cheers,

John B.

Thanks John a bit far for me to go and see her. One day.

I have spent most of the last two days trying to get my head back into Jeti, not that my head really ever was into Jeti. The TX is the finest made, has wonderful features, an amazing dual path built in. But the programming I really struggle with. Having spent a fair bit of time lately setting up OpenTx on my Horus (Hawker Fury) my mind was struggling with the Jeti way. I watched lots of Harry Curzon's fabulous videos and got what I wanted done, but OpenTX is so much more intuitive.

In my perfect world I would love to see OpenTx Operating system on Jeti. maybe one day....

So I am gradually picking up where I left off. filled in the missing bits of foam blocks at the wing tips. Not really worthy of a picture, and I added the 1/64 ply trailing edges. I made a rebating sanding block to form the rebate, then the 5mm wide strips of ply were glued on with thin CA.

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

I had forgotten how big the model is, 1/6th scale is 74" but it fills my workshop bench.

020.jpg

Cheers

Danny

John's friends Apache just after a respray, these are the colours I will match too, I like the cream and red, traditional Piper colours, although I am led to believe via John the red is from a Russian red star insignia as the guy had some paint from a previous job.

021.jpg

The model wont be for serious competition, so I dont think the colours will be crucial, but I want them close. There is a local paint factors close to me that I have heard good reports from, I will give them a try for auto base-coat, then Klass Kote gloss clear over the top.

Cheers

Danny

Great news on the Fury Eric, glad its sorted, however you will get frowns from the scale flyers doing a knife edge with a Fury wink 2

Hi Martyn, a Marmite plane I think. Love it or hate it. I love it. The later longer nose variant spoilt the lines.

Probably not much to see for a while, lots of sanding and glassing to do.........you have seen me do that dozens of times over the last ten years.

Cheers

Danny

I'm really happy to see you back on the Apache, would love to build one of these.

I recently received a job lot of faux rotating beacons that I ordered on eBay (China), I'm more than happy to stick one in the post to you if you think that it would be of any use (it looks like the one on top of the fuselage).

They are fitted with a standard JR servo plug and run off receiver voltage and the speed / pattern is adjustable from the TX, the first speed is way too fast but the second speed looks pretty good.

LINK TO VIDEO OF BEACON

Hi Chris, that is very kind of you, If you can spare one i will be happy to see if i can fit it. I have a beacon on top already part of a full led set, not doubt not as good as yours, the wiring in that area may be impossible to access, so I may not be able to replace it.

I had a quick conversation with Ton, my co-conspirator, and he has said we can make changes to the plan after its flown and proven incidences etc, we can then incorporate a removable wing centre section which will make this model so much easier to build and maintain.

Cheers

Danny

A little bit more progress, loads of loose bits all glassed. Starting on the big piece, one wing stub, and nacelle glassed. Not using peel ply, so am accepting that I will have to do more sanding than if I had used peel ply.

024.jpg

That piccy has highlighted some overly wet areas, I will mop them with kitchen towel wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Chatting with a friend and being shown Gordon Whiteheads formula for calculating the C of G of a model, I thought I would calculate it while waiting for resin to dry....

The formula says C of G = mean chord (wing) / 7 + (3 x the tail area x the tail moment / 8 x wing area)

So some tapping on the calculator after working out the areas and moment from the Turbocad drawing gave me 3.9653 ins from the leading edge, or 100.7 mm. that's 34.7% I think I will double check the sums

025.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 15/07/2020 14:36:08

Hi Linds, and thanks, good to know you are keeping an eye on me, waiting for an update on your twin teeth 2

Not much to report, still glassing, with only being able to mix 20 minute batches it is taking a while, and boy am I fed up with glassing......

027.jpg

Closed up all the gaps and holes in the tail cone area, this means I can glass the fuselage. It will have to be done in overlapping sections. The tail-plane/fin are just positioned not attached permanently yet.

But we are making progress teeth 2

Cheers

Danny