Alfa Models Mig 15

propogandhi

Thought I'd share with you all my Alfa Mig 15 build. I've made a few mod's which i will higlight throughout the thread, but below is where I am as of now. Oh also I've upgraded to the 5 blade fan and am using a Hyperion 22s 4300kv brushless inrunner on a 3 cell 1600 lipo through a CC 25amp esc. Bench testing showed that I am getting 185 watts for 17.5 amps, which isn't balistic, but should still provide ample performance for this area of jet.

This is were I was a few weeks ago, the begining

Removed paint from wing seat area and 'pricked' holes in the surface to aid the glue bond. Carbon fiber toe used to reinforce the load bearing in fuzz sides.

Cannon blisters drilled out and lined with drinking straws, then trimmed flush. This allows a good amount of extra air into the fuzz (exit at rear).

Standard hatch system leaves a unexceptable gap between the fuzz and the hatch. Rare earth magnets used instead.

resulting in a more pleasing fit of the hatch to the fuzz.

Weathering test using Tamiya weathering kit, we'll see how this turns out as its my first time using them.

Found an unusual Chinese (PLAAF) camo scheme for the Mig in a book, this is the first coat.

White masked off and 2nd color applied...

light blue masked off, ready for 3rd and final color...

end result, but with a color error on the rear tail section...

Masked...

all corrected now.

This is where I am now. The electronics still need fully installing and I want to start weathering her this week, but then with Christmas and all I'm looking now to test flying her over the christmas holiday. the decals will be made then too.

prop.

Advert

Nice job Prop, very interesting colour scheme as well.
Which masking tape did you use - was it Tamiya?
I recently used Tamiya masking tape when spraying onto an enamel
base (on Solartex) & was a bit peeved to find some of the base coat
 lifting off with the tape.

Good luck with test flight.

Cheers
Richard

Evening gents, and thank you. Richard, yes its Tamiya masking tape (10mm) used on tamiya Acrylic paints. I used enamel on a model once, many years ago, found it much hard to work with and I didn't like the results either. As a rule of thumb I always use acrylics now, and tamiya tape is the best for this IMO.

I'm trying to do a little weather now, and install the last of the electronics. Unfortunately I'll be handing it over to a relative to take up to my parents for the Christmas break as this is where I'll be for 2 week and where I will test fly it. This does however mean I won't be able to work on it until after xmas day. So I'll do what I can until tomorrow before its sent off. So the weather and decals won't be complete until after xmas it seems

Prop,

Thanks Stephen, and your welcome Richard, hope you get on well with them

I have her all packed up now ready for transportation back to secret Christmas test facility (old monitor box comes in handy with a little adjustment). Once I join her after next week  I'll jump straight in and complete the weathering, then decals and varnish, then flying.

Here's the start of my weathering below, just small testing using the tip of my scalpel blade. I scrape away the top surface of paint along the panel lines to reveal the silver below. I'll dirty her up afterward, and hopefully bring some life and contrast to the effect. At the moment I think it a little too subtle, but at the same time I don't want to over do it. So it will be a long process.

prop.

Great paint job, I've had two of these but only flown them standard, they go really well on the 3 blade fan so should be even better on the 5 blade.

Just make sure it's launched level and not nose up, if its launched nose up it goes into a deep stall, no airflow over the elevator and not enough power to punch out, ask me how I know . But that aside if launched level it gets away really well.

Hi Frank, unfortunately I learnt that the had way too with my first Alfa. I'd always ROG with the Mig, but on this occasion the grass was too long and I got impatient, and it happened exactly as you described above

maybe she rest in pieces....

this was taken about 4 years ago, this one was only on the 3 blade unit, but could still ROG .

thank you gents. David, yes I hope to be able to bring it.

As it turned out the mig is still with me and I'll be transporting it myself after Christmas day, back up to my flyin site. So a plan to spend the next couple of free evenings before doing as much as of the weather as possible. I can't varnish (semi gloss to seal the paint and decals) until I get there though as I need to print the waterslide decals ff and apply them first, and my printer is back there, so I just have to do what I can. I'm still hopeful for a maiden before the new year.

Out of interest I put her on the scales and the RTF AUW inc lipo is 490g, 40g over the suggested AUW, but then I know people that have this same model at a weight of over 540g and they have no complaints. With my AUW in mind, it figures out that I should roughly get around 160-170 w/lb. To me that seems like a good figure, I just hope I can still ROG with it off her belly like I did with my original Mig 15 on the 3 blade unit.

prop.

Edited By propogandhi on 21/12/2010 20:53:52

weathering:

Got home from work and headed straight for the workshop. Wasn't sure if I was in the mood for it tonight, but as soon as I started I actually found it very relaxing.

Started of by scraping with my blade tip the remaining panel lines, then went to work with the Tamiya weathering kit. Its a good little item and what you see is the result of an hour or so's work. I thought I had done with the upper surface but looking at it now I can see I need to give fore and aft of the center section some more detail to equalize the effect. I quite please with the results thus far...its by no means anything like you see on those great looking plastic models, but it will do for me. Once I'm happy with the upper surface I can flip her over and do the underside. I'll want to go over her with a silver paint tipped 'dry brush' session, then I think I'm basically ready to make up the decals.

Other than that I just need to attach the wing fences, varnish and then I think I'm pretty much ready to sit and watch the weather.

prop.

before...

after.

Ready for the maiden....

Been able to grab a good couple of hours over the past few days after Christmas and got the Mig finished, just tonight in fact. I'm pleased with the results these Tamiya weathering kits give, I'd certainly recommend them and I'll be using it on the next project for sure. PLAAF markings are made from white 'water slide decal paper' sized up in photoshop before printing. They were applied today after two coats of varnish to seal them. Entire model was then given a final varnish and the canopy masking tape removed.

AUW on my mothers old kitchen scales comes in at roughly 12oz 'dry' and 16.5oz (467g) RTF with 3 cell 1600 lipo, so I still think I'll be ok from what you gents are telling me.

The snow has melted here now and been replaced with perfectly calm winds, but is accompanied by thick fog. I was flying my FUNCUB this afternoon, but no more than 100ft away before I basically lost it, not ideal for test flying an EDF. Hopefully the fog should clear in then next day or two and I can try. I'll post back then, hopefully with a positive post maiden flight report.

Hope you all got what you wanted for Christmas and a Happy new year to all.

prop.

Thank you David, thankfully the weather has been OK, if a little fogyy and grey, but light winds, which is all that really matters, therefore I was able to maiden the Mig on new years eve and flew her again today.

No problems to report, it all passed without drama. She ROG's and with little effort too, it just looks a little slow to start with, but she's soon lifts off with out any input from me on the elevator and flying. This mig is much like my old one, rock steady and great fun to fly. My new set-up is a little more powerful than my old one, I can loop from level flight certainly, but my loops aren't as big as I like for example, she will stall out of them if I don't pay attention. The fast low passes are fun and I find I spend the majority of my flight lining these up. I have a little video shot by a family member but I won't be able to process it until next week. It's a lot of shaky camera with a little steady footage thrown in. I'll cut out the bad stuff and post a little video then.

prop