Biggles' Mess

I think I am giving up phoning so called handy men out ot the paper as they are just not reliable, none of three we have employed have done a proper job, the latest is a so called gardener who managed to chop through the cable for the TV system.

We lost the TV, phone and broadband for two days, before that we employed a plumber who managed to flood the hallway and ruin the new floor, left a leaky radiator and never came back to finish the job after I complained, employing people because their rates are low is false economy, it usually ends up costing more in the long term so the 'phone fred on 0123 XXXX' is a bad move.

Advert

Seen yesterday flying along the shore near Portsmouth. A full size Cessna high wing type (182???) with floats.

I thought this was fairly unusual. Anyone know anything about it. (Must be kept somewhere sheltered I would think,)

Posted by Chris P. Bacon on 27/07/2012 15:13:36:

Seen yesterday flying along the shore near Portsmouth. A full size Cessna high wing type (182???) with floats.

I thought this was fairly unusual. Anyone know anything about it. (Must be kept somewhere sheltered I would think,)

Was it this one by any chance, R? I've seen it at Blackbushe and flying in North Hampshire from time to time - it's normally in the middle of the air park, clearly seen from the A30.

Pete

IF YOU GET ANYTHING LIKE THIS...........:You sent a payment of 39.00 GBP to Skype ([email protected])

DUMP IT BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE YOU TO A CLONE PAYPAL SITE, WHY WOULD THEY ASK FOR A LOAD OF CONFIDENTIAL INFO THEY ALREADY HAVE??

BEST MOVE IS CHECK YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT, YOU WONT FIND ANYTHING BUT IT WILL PROVE THIS IS A SCAM.

Edited By Terence Lynock on 04/08/2012 23:37:34

Hi All,

well, back home from holiday - smashing time in Scotland, got plenty of flying in during the first week when I effectively had my own private flying field! Second week not so good flying wise - no really suitable lochs or fields handy - but then Mrs BEB tells me flying models isn't everything - she has some strange views sometimes! wink 2

Seriously, we had a great time, but good to be back home!

BEB

Got my holidays coming up soon. A week in the Lake District. Unfortunately I'll be planelesssad. Apparently I am there to spend time with my wife and children. Shame really cos I've already spotted a disused airfield next to the campsitesurprise. Wonder if i could sneak something small in without being noticed wink

Andy

I won't be at Elvington, but I am planning on going to the Retro fly-in at Stow Maries this Sunday. Paul Bardoe's been at it again organising a fly-in for 60's, 70's & 80's designs. For the most part I expect it will be aerobatic types turning up though there were some vintage (Hi Phil) and scale designs at the Sleap do earlier this year.

The museum will be a bonus at Stow Maries.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a discovery! In the interests of science you understand! Spiders may like coffee!

Last night - quite a nice evening and I'm waiting for some glue to go off. So I decide to stand outside the shed and drink my coffee and contemplate the meaning of life and all that. I put the coffee cup, nearly full, down on the gas meter cupboard thingy. Suddenly I notice a spider abseiling down from the gutter towards my coffee!

Obviously I'm not having that! So I move the coffee to the side. Blow me he shoots up his thread a bit, then sideways a tad and down he comes again towards my coffee.

Intrigued now I move the coffee back to position one - sure enough he retraces his steps. This performance was repeated several times.

Now, was it the coffee - or was it just the warmth coming from the convection current? Answers on a postcard please! Maybe a further experiment with cold coffee is called for?

BEB

Total mayhem BEB, rebuilding my favourite powered glider. half finished Ki-61-2,half finished Spit F22, half finished FB-111 and still got the wings to cover for my Raven 3m, plus a load of other bits and bobs and a pile of jobs outside before winter.

Some time ago I built a Triple Threat 2, the fuze being a covered frame just wasnt strong enough and I broke it, built a new fuse from sheet but broke the tailfeathers in a unplanned arrival so built new P51 style tail end, now we are full circle replacing the original polyhedral wing with a straight taper high aspect ratio wing so the last bit of the TT2 is gone.

This is the latest, a 'Damsel Fly' by Mr Rutter I think, should be OK for puddle jumping on the beach if ever I get there, I start my 4th course of chemo on the 30th so not sure if I will be able to get away for a break again this year,

dscn9796.jpg

dscn9795.jpg

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/08/2012 23:43:17

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/08/2012 19:54:20:

Intrigued now I move the coffee back to position one - sure enough he retraces his steps. This performance was repeated several times.

Now, was it the coffee - or was it just the warmth coming from the convection current? Answers on a postcard please! Maybe a further experiment with cold coffee is called for?

BEB

BEB I think he was after the caffeine high, so he could build his web quicker to lay in wait for the next unsuspecting fly.

Click the pictuer for more info.

Time moves on.....this is the latest-latest, a Diamond 600 chuck glider modded for full r/c, I hollowed out the nose end leaving a wall thickness of 6mm with a deburring tool, drilled a hole from top-rear of the fin down at as shallow an angle as possible for the elevator snake exitting bottom of fuze then running in a groove up to the cockpit area, then using a diamond tile drill cored the nose out to take the motor.

THis was just an experiment so I wasnt bothered about the end result being a bit tatty as I have a new untouched Diamond 600 for later when I have finished learning from the prototype, once I have the bugs sorted and ironed out I will do a nice clean one.

End result is elevator and ailerons with a 55w motor with 4.75 CAM prop, power ratio is about 1:1 so it should go OK in theory, will know better when I have chucked it up in the air.

dscn9797.jpg