Biggles' Mess

Yes Barry, nd then the government complains about the 'Black Economy' where people are doing work on the side to make a bit more money or cash in hand jobs, if someone tapped me on the shoulder and offered me £20 to change a loo seat it would be done in ten minutes and nobody the wiser.

Where my son lives its like the nineteenth century with everybody doing a bit of bartering and/or swapping one sort of produce for another, all the locals keep two or three big freezers on the go,, last time I was down his place one freezer was full of lamb.

He let a farmer have a spare field for six months and got paid in lamb carcasses, you have to make your money where you can these days whilst avoiding the tax man and other rip-off merchants.

Advert

Yea Terry and that is where we are heading (the wife and I) to our farm & village for excatly those reasons, the Aus government are thinking about taxing online buying, cause smaLL business are complaining about they are losing out..... No it';s just another tax the gov. can get from us..

Barry

Just finished watching Andy Murray win the Us tennis champioship beating Novac Djokovic,Brilliant match,just under 5 hours,lots of long rallies 1 was 54 strokes,and loads between 20 to 30 strokes.Went to 5 sets ,very tense,very enjoyable..Fed Peryy won the same tournament on Sept 10th 1933.76 years since a British player won a Grand slam.1st player to win Olympic gold and the Us in the same year.I was exhausted watching them .It was like to heavy weight boxers slugging it out but needing to play chess with each other at the same time,brilliant match

Yes I have the Sky sport package through Virgin.I actually watch more Sky programmes than antything else so get my moniesworth.I pay about £11 a month mainly for F1 so anything else is a bonus.In Speedwat your man is fighting for the title,Chris Holder,bit of a brutal Aussie,but if you not brutal your no a winner..But Im always on Sky living enjoing Criminal Minds,

Another unsolicited phone call, "Hello, I am calling from the Microsoft Corporation" Reply, (very sarcastically. 'Yes, what do you want? ' " I am calling to tell you that your computer has a virus!" Reply "Is that airborne or water borne?' "What do you mean? It's in your computer!"

Even more sarcastically "That's interesting my computer hasn't been connected to the internet for a year!" Goodbye.

Thought I'd just pop out of sleep and droop my nose (Concorde fan as always!)

What is the opinion of the possibility of BAE systems and EADS merging?

Article here

The thing for me is that BAE will only have 40%, EADS 60%. So could it bring the end to an all British aircraft industry altogether? Could we now only be building parts of planes (engines and wings mainly) for Europe?

CS

Sorry to upset you CS, but that's what we've been doing for years.

"British" industry, as in national companies employing thousands of people started dying out after 1945. I wonder why ?

There are many British owned companies still manufacturing independently within the aero industry and doing so profitably.

We now live in a Global economy and many "National" companies are in fact owned by International financiers.

Lets face it even our biggest national industry, football has very little UK product in it . Team ownership, Sponsorship, TV rights, merchandise manufacture, players.

Accrington Stanley?? Instead of buying a ruck of F35's from the U.S at 100 million a piece wouldnt it be more prudent to do as the Swedish do and build your own as we did in the past? bring back Hawker and Dehavilland and design our own specifically for the RAF.

Everything bought from abroad is a compromise and not 100% tailored for RAF use, I think the last one we actually designed for that purpose was either TSR2 or the EE Lightning, a good example was the Apache's that stood on the ground for nine months waiting for the right computer gear to arrive.

I have been enjoying my own personal airshow from home in the last week. BBMF memorial flight Lancaster 5 times very low, A Harvard doing aerobatics and what appeared to be a Beech 17 in the distance, very distinctive shaped fin biplane with retracts. thumbs up

Hi BEB, when moving aircraft at Cosford years ago a simular thing happened and as the aircraft was under power and moving it just couldnt stop dead so the pilot had to steer in a straight line as best he could or risk ripping the undercarriage leg out.. And then we all remember a certain member of the Royal Family who dumped a HS 146 in the muck when he had a bad day............

Well, I finally gave in and instead of hours of building a model I attacked my computer, after four years it was slow, chuggy, and spent hours talking to itself, problem was it had so much trash bunging up the registery and hard drive it was like looking for a 2p coin in a skip full of bottle tops for it.

I finally moved everything I wanted to save to the 1 Tb external drive then formatted the primary, now its done and I have the internet connection back, wonder of wonders I also have wireless connection to the printer too which is something I gave up on months ago.

All I have to do now is put everything back where it belongs from the external drive which will give me a chance to sort out all the junk plans etc while I am at it, machine now moves a lot faster and cleaner and hopefully my browser wont time-out quite as often, the problem is when you load then delete programs they always leave trash behind that even the best cleaners cant get at and over a couple of years or more it builds up into a Ayers Rock of trash data.

Simon, I'm told you don't pressurise petrol fuel tanks, it's dangerous due to the heat of the exhaust gasses. But you can still have three pipes, one to fill, one to breath and one to the engine. What I do is fill through the pickup side until the breather spills, = two pipes!