Biggles' Mess

I think our H&S guys at work might just have a word or two to contribute if I tried any of them. You know the sort of thing,....have you completed a full written risk assessment, have to been on the "working at height" course? That sort of thing. Otherwise I'm sure they would be fine with it, as long as the paperwork was done.wink 2

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/02/2016 10:55:32

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm being rather cheeky, but I've asked permish first....

I’m trying to help raise money to take some children from a deprived area in Warrington to Boston to Harvard, MIT and other interesting places for a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) visit, and I thought MF members would think it was a good cause (more than my friends do, who I've already asked). I’ve promised to make a postcard for anyone from the PP forum who donates, and I would do the same for anyone from here for you, and I’d make something MF ish rather than girly.

This isn't my children's school but my daughter attends their free Coderdojo sessions each month, where children can learn CAD, programming, laser cutting, 3d printing, drone flying, lego robotics and more. These children have been selected to visit these exciting institutions, and many can't afford the trip without significant financial help.

So, I would like to share the link for fund raising, and anyone who donates 50p or more will be rewarded (or not) by a fabric postcard made by me. On Popular Patchwork, we would normally make a raffle quilt, but I haven't time, but I thought this idea might raise a tiny bit. You'll need to PM me to tell me that you've donated though, as I won't know otherwise, obviously I don't want to know how much you donate or anything, just your address to send a postcard to. I am only asking my ladies, and you and Model Engineering, as I thought you might find it interesting.

This is the link to donate,

And this is a bit about the project...

We are students from Beamont Collegiate Academy in Warrington. Our school is a centre of Excellence for Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. We are the only high school in the UK to hold the prestigious STEM assured quality mark.

However, our school is in one of the most deprived areas in the country.

In September we will travel to Boston, USA for an inspirational, aspiration-raising working trip to look at the best STEM facilities in the World.

The money you donate will support those children who could not afford to take this opportunity without financial help.

We have been handpicked for our outstanding ability in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics and we will be immersed in the world of STEM for 8 days.

We will be working with:
Harvard University, the worlds foremost STEM university,
MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) ,
Engineers from the global company iRobot and Lowell, who developed the Mars rover.
Marine Biologists to study Ecology in the north Atlantic Ocean.

We have been endlessly trying to raise the £10,000 needed for this trip. The school is generously supporting us and so far we've held bake sales, assisted shoppers with their packing at weekends, ran our own café during Coderdojo events at the academy and organised draws to win a number of hampers.

The opportunity for us as students to make this trip is truly life changing but now we need help to raise the remaining money needed.

Any donations from 50p to £500 will help ensure the brightest of futures for our students and provide Warrington with a wealth of scientists, engineers and mathematicians in the future.

We thank you in advance for your generosity and look forward to sharing the experiences of our trip with you.

And as this is the Cafe, I'm posting my favourite aircraft (real not model) related song. It's a bit electronic, but you never know, you might like it anyway!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted by ken anderson. on 25/07/2016 19:21:41:

had a great day out with two of my grand children today looking at a bit of heavy metal...magnificent close up....at Shildon railway museum for the rest of the week......make your way there.....and the best bit---its all FOC.....

flying scotsman3.jpg

ken Anderson...ne...1..... F/Scotsman dept.

Lovely photo. But I'm not sure about either the CoG or the wing loading!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...