Vic Smeed

David Davis

According to the RC Groups website, Vic Smeed has died.

Vic was a prolific designer of free flight sports model aircraft and model boats in the 1950s. His most famous design was the Tomboy a simple cabin high wing monplane which could be built as a 36" or 44" wingspan model. Vintage enthusiasts who are member of SAM 35 compete against each other to this day in a duration competition using the Tomboy design.

Advert

Yes Peter, after Boddo it's been terrific but unfortunately we can't stop it!

David: I remember the Tomboy in wheels and in floats too, but my first FF was the "Debutante" with a .75 Mills in its front. I was a schoolboy at that time.

From Vic I do remember too the Popsie, the Ethereal Lady, the Flipper, the Courtesan, the Majorette, the Queen of Hearts, the Mini MadCap, the Pulstar, the Mam'selle and many many others. 

As you said BEB these men were inspirations for us in general and for my generation in particular. You still may see their marks in our builds, even in the most recent days.

A peacefful rest for all of them

Augusto

I totally agree that Vic Smeed was infuential. Being the editor of Aeromodeller

I had a number of books written/compiled by him, on subjects as diverse as model boats and CL. No longer have them though.

I guess a major aspect of his plans etc. is that they flew, when ordinary youths built them.

Vic Smeed did write quite a lot, he was of course editor of Model Maker & Model Cars.  And I think he may have been editor of RCME at one time long ago when it was a smaller  A5 size.  In addition he wrote many books mostly about model boats but also model aircraft
One of the 'Greats'.

I am currently building a Vic Smeed Electra an early radio model from the 1950's.

What a great man. Sorry to see him go.

I built a couple of his boats when I were a lad.
Still have the Remora somewhere.
And a Moonglow (flat bottomed hull - beginners model)

Did he do the Fairey Swordsman in the Feb 1965 edition?
I have one of those too. I didn't build it though. It's too well made for my work

Rave on Vic ...

Well the 1983/4 model Boats Plans handbook has 76 boat models and 4 car models by Vic Smeed including a Fairey Huntsman, but the 44 inch Fairey Swordsman plan MM791 is by Philip Connolly.
Many aircraft plans also to Vic Smeeds name & numerous books.  A very great model designer & writer.

Very little has been mentioned so far about Alec Gee the longtime editor of Radio Modeller etc.  A very notable model journalist. 
It seems also his father was Dick Gee the editor of Photography magazine ( also I think Colour Photography magazine too ) one of the best photograhic magazines in its time too.. Between them these 3 men  have greatly influenced many people in these hobbies including myself.

Edited By kc on 14/01/2011 18:01:55

Not many people remember the name of Alec Gee because he didn't have plans or write articles.

He used a lot of my work. when he edited Radio Kodeller and Aeromodeller and then he worked as assistant Editor for AMI until his death.

He was always a calm, wise, gentleman.

One of his great talents was to leave the writers work as intended. No rewriting at all, let alone to the extent of changing what the text intended. He knew that the writer knew what he was talking about and didn't feel the need to change it to justify his existance.

My own tribute will be in Miller's Tales in AMI.

Edited By Peter Miller on 14/01/2011 18:24:44

Posted by kc on 14/01/2011 18:00:36:
Well the 1983/4 model Boats Plans handbook has 76 boat models and 4 car models by Vic Smeed including a Fairey Huntsman, but the 44 inch Fairey Swordsman plan MM791 is by Philip Connolly.

I think my Swordsman must be an Aerokits model, it's 33" long.
I think I had an OS 19 in it. May still even be in there.
I bought an 8cc Taplin Twin for it but never fitted it.
What a monster of an engine that was.
I shudder to think what the 15cc Twin was like to start.

I'll have to go and pick up my boats from my mum's house soon.
Maybe put up some pics.

In addition to the Vic Smeed boat designs still in the Plan Service there were numerous others.  One of the ingenious designs was a full size plan for a semi scale Swordsman called Twinkler.  This 20 inch plan was drawn full size in the small size old RCME which was less than A5 size!  Well all the components were full size but halved around the centreline.  Clever!   ( I built the boat and still have it and the plan )

Surely there should be a gathering of Vic Smeed boat designs somewhere this year?   Rather like the Boddo day at Old Warden perhaps.

I've only ever seen a Taplin twin used once and that was in a vintage model aircraft. The owner backed off the rear compression screw until that cylinder had very litlle compression, then he increased the compression on the front cylinder until the engine ran on just that cylinder. Then he increased the compression on the rear cyliner till that fired up as well. A few minor adjustments to each and the model was away.

We do seem to be coming to the end of an era, what with Ray Malmstrong  DB, Phil Smith, Ron Moulton, and Now Vic Smeed. Sorry Peter, only vaguely remember Alec Gee. That is about all of the people that inspired me through my modeling youth and beyond, gone. makes me wonder who will be next. Very sad news indeed.

Chris.