Control Rods

Shaun Clarke

I'm sure he's talking about the ones with the grub screw Shaun.They are also called EZ links or connectors.The reason why they are so good is there is no forces put on to them at all.They merely hold the pushrod in place on the servo arm.Come in different sizes depending on pushrod diameter.Have them on all my models,from 72" Sukhoi to 160 size Katana all the way down to a couple of Kyosho warbirds,bullet proof.I only use the grub screw links on throttle servo and  the control surfaces on a few leccy lads that I fly terribly.

There are a few references in this thread to not drilling out holes in servo arms to accept z bends.  While it may not be good practice with the arms on mini servos, I don't see any problem opening a hole a small amount on a standard servo arm to ensure a free moving (but slop-free) fit.  The holes are on the neutral axis of the arm and as long as there is a reasonable amount of material left should be strong enough (perhaps with the exception of an outermost hole) for most trainer and sport applications.  After all, there is a considerable difference in available material between inner and outer holes on a typical tapered arm and if the arm's strength was at all marginal, the manufacturers wouldn't pre-drill all the holes!

My preference for sports models is a simple z bend which should be more reliable than any swing keeper or (personal horror) grub screwed sliding connector. This infers a 2.1 mm or thereabouts hole to give working clearance will be needed if using 2mm rod.

A very quick Google for like minded or opposing views showed the following tool available from Great Planes:

The "Servo Horn Drill" is basically a 5/64" drill bit with a knurled handle attached. This is a very handy tool that makes drilling out servo arms a quick, simple task and the resulting hole is a perfect fit for a 2-56 size pushrod.

Other manufacturers produce them as well e.g. http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0698.html

Given the compensation culture in the USA where these originate, I doubt that there are serious doubts over the principle!?

The above is just my personal feeling, borne out by many examples in use without problems although I would advise more serious linkages on larger models. Has anyone got any documented advice from a servo manufacturer not to drill out the holes to a suitable size?