About to give up

Tony Bennett

hiya
i just can't seem to get my head round what i need to buy rc wise to fly an electric glider.

the last time i had rc it was 40 years ago and you had so little choice.
i can't afford the new stuff.
i was thinking 4chan 35 mgh with 2 servo's for rudder and elevator, esc for throttle and thats it.
but i find it so confusing about what goes with what and how it all works that i might just give up and go back to rubber free flight.
i see that giatcod do a cheap transmitter that would suit, but what do i need to go with it.

help i'm lost

Advert

Tony, whoa!!!!!   Its too easy these days, thats yer trouble.  So you want to fly an RC electric glider?  

Do this: Call someone like Sussex model centre, Als hobby's, Steve Webb etc etc, you get the picture.

Order the following:

ST models Blaze here

Then ask them also for a Spektrum set here 

and a couple of lipos and a charger.  Tell them you are not new but "returning"

That will get you flying and having fun; it'll buy you time to get your head round the nbew fangled ways!!

The Blaze is a very , very good little glider and the Speky stuff will keep you more than happy for a while yet!!

DONT GIVE UP

David 

thats all very nice, but unfortunately its well out of my price range.
i just dont have the money anymore being retired and on a very low pension.
i have a glider i want to convert to rc and electric and i have got me head round what i need engine and esc wise, but all the rc jargon and stuff has just got me totally confused and out of my depth.

OK, you have a glider, what are the specs (wingspan, weight, wing area)

Do you want to be able to fly it on the motor, or just be able to get it to height?

Are yu happy to buy a s/h radio?  ou can get a decent enough 35Mhz for £20, and a new cheap 2.4GHz for £35-40

What area of UK are you in?

You can do it, but more info is needed for meaningful answers, cant suggest a motor/esc without knowing specs of the plane

Hi Tony, do not give up.  I fly ic so am not of much help to you, but you are in the right place for electric help.  Just you wait.   Not sure, but you may get a 35Mhz transmitter cheaper as these now are being superceded by 2.4Ghz stuff.  I am with David here -do not give up!  Cheers FB3

OK Tony - same message as David's - "don't give up". But the economy version.

Right now on ebay there are loads of 35MHz trannies and receivers that two years ago would have cost you a packet - going dirt cheap as everyone's getting into 2.4GHz. These are perfectly good radios for what you want to do. You can probably pick up a 6 channel Futaba or similar brand name set, with receiver, for much less than £50. Is that better?

To advise you on what electric motor speed controller etc. We'd need to know the weight/size of the glider.

BEB

Hmm,

Well the most complex bit id the motor so if you've got that youre almost home.

The Spekky stuff is popular and modestly priced but theres a good set out there that costs under fifty quid , though the name escapes me!

Hobby King also do VERY good deals and their stuff is always pretty good.  

Whats your budget?  A lot of guys swear by the giantcod stuff and their prices, though I dont use them myself, being a Robotbirds man.  Well, them and Hobby King.

Basically if you have the motor now, and the ESC you will need:

Lipo
Charger
Tx
Rx
Servos.

erm,thats it!

I'd call Robot Birds, Andy is the guy, and have a chat.

David 

I'll probably get flamed for this, but why not get an all-in ready to fly model?   This is the one that I bought for example (although I bought it from a UK supplier).   TW-742 "Skyhawk"

As supplied it flies perfectly well, although the poor instructions and some other detail defects mean that it helps if you know something about model aircraft when putting it together and trimming it.

The advantage of this route are firstly that you've got everything you need to actually start flying.    Secondly the working model can be a sort of test bed for  adding new stuff and learning about how it all fits together.    Mine is now running on all new electronics except for the rudder and elevator servos.  

well the glider is my single channel polystyrene job that i repaired the other day, i need more than just rudder and bungie launching is too scary. he he

the wings are 48" and it weighs with the single channel gear and batterys fitted 395gms.

fuselage

new rear wing with elevators i have been building.

if i could understand what they are on about on ebay i might risk it, but i would still need servo's, batteries, connectors and all the trimmings.

sorry if i am being realy thick here but i do get confused very easily these days ( must be my age)

i can build ok, i just don't understand the electric side of things.

Edited By tony bennett on 10/01/2011 14:11:43

Why not have a look on ebay at second hand 35MHz gear. Post a link to anything your interested in here - and we'll give you some advice. Obviously we can't gaurentee anything you buy - but hopefully we can help you avoid buying a "pup".

BEB

With 35MHz almost any servo will do - lots of cheap servos about.

I am wondering how much experience you actually have now, having called the tail plane the "rear wing".

It seems that what you might need to do is, ahem, join a club and get taught to fly.  Buying ARTF IS a very good way to go, as I suggested in the Blaze, but if the purse strings are too tight, so be it.  Converting the glider you have is a very plausible way to go but if you are totally inexperienced, I really would suggest that you join a club before you smash your well cared for pride and joy!!

How adept were you on the single stick tranny?  Did you slope it succesfully? I am assuming you did as you wont bungee launch and it isnt leccy.  If you can fly solo off the slope on signle channel I'm struggling to see what you dont understand.  Can you be more specific about what you want to know?

Posted by tony bennett on 10/01/2011 14:16:08:

is this any good as a transmitter.

as i would only need servo's and batteries then.

NO..  I mean, "yes" but "why???"  For that price you are into decent 2.4Ghz stuff.  Well almost.  And new Spekky would be a much better bet than old 35Mhz gear. here

this is what's confusing me.
ok my use of words for things is not always correct, but i know what i mean.

if i can get a set up for around the £50 mark with servos then i will be fine, but much more than that and i just cant afford to continue.
so second hand will have to be the way for me to go.

i can fly single channel just about ok but as the field i use is flat i need a motor to get me up to height.

There's budget gear and there's budget gear.   

You can get a new four-channel transmitter and  receiver set for under £30 Click HERE

For a battery you want something around 800 to 1300mAh in either 2S (7.4v) or 3S (11.1v).  Look at the weights and see what will suit the balance of your glider.  

I don't know what motor you have, I used this one Motor + ESC from BRC for my Skyhawk which came out at around 550g all up.  That gives plenty of power with a 3S Lipo.   I just mounted the motor on the outside of the nose - ugly but it works.

You'll need a folding propeller to suit your motor.   I use 7x3 blades, but that will depend on your motor's power and speed.

For a low powered electric glider of that weight, you should be able to use the cheapest servos like SG90 or HX900.

Posted by tony bennett on 10/01/2011 14:30:45:
this is what's confusing me.
ok my use of words for things is not always correct, but i know what i mean.

if i can get a set up for around the £50 mark with servos then i will be fine, but much more than that and i just cant afford to continue.
so second hand will have to be the way for me to go.

i can fly single channel just about ok but as the field i use is flat i need a motor to get me up to height.

Like this? set  or this ?

Its all there Tony.  Look at the web sites, it'll soon fall into place!

Like I said,

Lipo
Charger
Tx
Rx
Servos.

erm,thats it! 

D

Posted by David perry 1 on 10/01/2011 14:23:57:
Posted by tony bennett on 10/01/2011 14:16:08:

is this any good as a transmitter.

as i would only need servo's and batteries then.

NO..  I mean, "yes" but "why???"  For that price you are into decent 2.4Ghz stuff.  Well almost.  And new Spekky would be a much better bet than old 35Mhz gear. here

Not really a fair comparison David! The Speky with receiver is £70 he can buy the second hand JR with a reciever for £35 - and the JR is a much better quality product than a DX5!

Also the JR at £35, plus a couple of economy servos, say £5 each, and he's inside his £50 budget for the radio gear.

Tony - one thing to note - if you go 35MHz then joining a club - or being very sure that no else is flying within about 2-3 miles of you - is necessary.

BEB

PS you just sit back a minute Tont while David and I discuss what's good for you!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/01/2011 14:55:37

People say "buy the best you can afford" but I sometimes think its best to buy what you need right now, and don't worry that it will need to be upgraded or replaced if your needs change.   

For example I'm on my fourth transmitter, and I am considering replacing it.  However those four have only cost me a total of £90, so I'll still be better off than if I'd splashed out say £300  for a top line set back in 1995 when I built my first glider.

I would suggest 2 things .....contact your local club and see if anyone is selling a RELIABLE ( ie not crashed! ) 35mhz set transmitter and receiver with crystals&nicads.  Servos if possible too but they are cheap now.  Buying from a known source is much better than e-bay.  Note that some clubs insist on 2.4Ghz only now.

Also if you last flew 40 years ago if you still have gear such as radios or engines they might be rare vintage items now and could perhaps be swapped for newer stuff.  The proprietor of Als Hobbies is known to collect old RC radios............

Tony.

If its any help, I have a 1 1/2 inch plastic/metal silver spinner with 10x6 folding prop.

It will help maintain the lines of you model at minimun weight!!

Its yours for free if you want it.

Just send me a pm with your address!!

Dave

Keep going..  It will be worth it in the end!!!

Pics below!!

Some excellent suggestions. A member of our club was giving away 35 mhz receivers a few months ago!
Contact a club locally by all means, but they will insist on you being insured if you are going to fly there. And a membership fee.

Not trying to put you off, at all.
Does your budget allow for that, Tony?
I assume that the plane will be flown solo in a convenient field somewhere so the all included new Chinese glider could be the best option as it should fly out of the box if it is assembled according to the instructions..

Hi, both the transmitter and receiver are fitted with 35.170 MHz sets. Here's what's in the box:
Futaba Challenger FP-T6NFK Transmitter, Futaba FP-R128DF Receiver, 4x Futaba FP-S148 Servos, Transmitter Battery Pack, Receiver Battery Pack, "Jester" Dual charger, Instruction manual.

been offered this lot for £75 but it's over my budget realy, is it worth it though.

Posted by tony bennett on 10/01/2011 16:36:00:
Hi, both the transmitter and receiver are fitted with 35.170 MHz sets. Here's what's in the box:
Futaba Challenger FP-T6NFK Transmitter, Futaba FP-R128DF Receiver, 4x Futaba FP-S148 Servos, Transmitter Battery Pack, Receiver Battery Pack, "Jester" Dual charger, Instruction manual.

been offered this lot for £75 but it's over my budget realy, is it worth it though.

Rather tan say if it is worth it or not, better to say you can do better.

The Challenger was good when new but it is quite old now and hardly worth that much even if in perfect working order.  If the nicads are new it may be OK, but if they need replacing the Tx nicad is an old type now and not avail cheaply.  Even 4 years ago I found it was cheaper to buy a new Futaba 6EXA  transmitter complete with nicad than to buy just  a new nicad for my old Challenger!   ( the latest nicads / NiMH are a different shape & connector  Tx pack )
Most RC people have 2 or 3 Challenger Tx or sets around unused because of the nicad cost......replaced by 6EXA  & 2.4 Ghz.. I would be delighted to sell one of my old Challenger sets for £75 to someone but I would not because i know I would be doing them a dis-service because the nicads go duff if not used, and its not the best frequency anymore. 2.4 is better.  A new, basic Spektrum or 6EXA costs so little more it is not worth paying £75 for old gear.
Assume the ncads are duff and see what the replacement TX nicad costs.  You may not need a Rx nicad because of BEC in the ESC.  (ask if you want that explained )

Edited By kc on 10/01/2011 16:59:43