Air filter

Shaun Clarke

Advert

It is very rare for people to bother with air filters on RC planes.

I did once get slightly paranoid about this problem many years ago, and used a bit of the wifes old nylon tights held over the intake with a tie wrap. Didnt seem to make any difference, so the last time it fell off ( which it did frquently) it stayed off.

DISCLAIMER If you do try this, please remove wife from tights /stockings  first oooeeerrr

Dry dusty days eh ? - crikey which part of UK are you in !!! 

• 2 years later...
I've always wondered about fitting an air filter and was always puzzled by their absence on rc aircraft. Surely at worst, fitting an air filter can only increase the longevity of an engine by it reducing the amount of damaging particles scratching away at cylinder bore and piston rings ?

Do full size piston engine aircraft have air filters? No unless they are involved in desert flying where sand can be present in the atmosphere to a considerable height.

Once at any reasonable altitude the air is relatively dust free whereas cars spend hours following each other on dirty roads.
An effective air filter is quite large and tends to reduces the volumetric efficiency of the engine.   

Simon,

Fullsize piston engines like Continentals and Lycoming etc have air filters inc turbo versions.... Thats why there is a function called alternate air in piston engine aircraft cockpits! Wonder what that for? Does not matter what Geographical location you in re the air filter apart from maintenance ops!

peace and filter.. air filters are obvious on fullsize!

The only time I have used the air filters was when on the beach at Ainsdale visiting the Southport MFC. The only type I have seen have a fairly course mesh, unlike road vehicle air filters.

The Southport guys I met do not use them at all, even when the sand gets dry and looks like a low height Sahara sandstorm.

Would be rather complicated making a viable fine particle filter to fit the size of engines we mostly use.

This is my point though.........Our engines must have closer tolerances and are much faster........surely this means they need more protection?

Polyphilla.

Are you kidding! Compared to a car engine, nitros have sloppy tolerances, are inefficient  and are basic in the extreme. Yes they rev harder, but thats only because they are so simple and the moving parts are so light. They are the exact opposite of delicate, they are rough and ready. The odd bit of dust really isn't going to bother them. Also, a nitro engines fuel, as well as being a lubricant, is also a cleaner, just as oil in a car engine also cleans.

If you scaled one up to the size of a car engine I suspect that it would vibrate like hell, smash your eardrums and consume 50 gallons of fuel in a 5 minute run....delicate it is not...

Edited By John Horsfield on 27/03/2010 22:58:40