Buddy Connection Between Spektrum and Futaba 2.4Ghz Radios

Hi All,

This may be a very silly question, but is it technically possible to have a Spektrum 2.4Ghz radio act as a buddy box to a Futaba 2.4Ghz radio? It doesn't sound intuitive given the electronics involved, but I thought I'd ask.

By way of background, I have a Futaba 6EX and am thinking of swapping over to a Spektrum DX8 since I like the telemetry features on offer. However, my son will soon be old enough to learn to fly, so I was wondering it it would be possible to re-use the Futaba as a training Tx for him...

Thanks,

Advert

Scruffy it's virtually impossible.

Not only are the signal levels different but the servo channel sequence is different, so the Throttle channel of one would be controlling the Aileron channel of the other etc.

It has been done with a clever box of electronics between, but I think this tended to introduce an unacceptable delay in the signal.

If you look on the Futaba website you will see that any Futaba Tx with the latest rectangular buddy socket can be used as a buddy with any other Futaba with the same socket. In other words a 35mhz 6EXA can be used with any Futaba 2,4Ghz as a buddy box. We tried it at our club , and it works. But with a very expensive Futaba heli TX ( I forget which ) it needed some extra programming change too. (some fancy thing needed switching off I think )

So look out for someone discarding a 35 mhz Futaba TX with the right socket!  ( there are lots of good 6EXA 35 mhz Tx  recently discarded  by 2.4 Ghz users )

Also I think the cheap basic Spektrum Tx may not have a buddy socket so you cannot use that as a buddy with your DX8.   Am I right?

Edited By kc on 26/01/2011 15:03:05

Posted by kc on 26/01/2011 15:28:50:
I believe I am correct in saying using a round to square Futaba cable does not work ( or damages something ) for 2.4ghz. I read it somewhere!

Itb would need checking then, but it wouldn't make any sense, as the signals would be the same as connecting to another square non 2.4 set. They all have in-out-ground and
some have positive to power the student from the instructor TX.

Some radios only have a signal line, which can work either way, they usually have a 3.5mm jack plug, but Futaba is pretty consistent.   h e r e

Edited By Steve W-O on 26/01/2011 15:39:42

Posted by kc on 26/01/2011 15:43:49:
Steve, note I amended my post when I found the written evidence! Thats what the manual says!

OK, see that.

I'm sure it can be done if you select what connections you make, ie only use the in and out and ground, leave both the batteries in and take the xtals out of the 35MHz.

I think if it was important to make it work, further reading would show it can be done, but as you say, not with the ready made cables

• 4 weeks later...