Rigging

heinkel

Advert

If it's functional you want you can save a lot of cash by using a well stocked fishing tackle shop, they have loads of fittings and plastic coated steel trace wire in varying thickness's/braking strains. They do crimps and swivels and locking clips to match whatever gauge you choose. You'll find it loads cheaper than using the model shops.
If it's non-functional then using the cotton covered round sectioned hat elastic will give a reasonable facsimile of rigging.

FB3 its usually pretty obvious if the rigging is functional. On my Tiger Moth for example if you took the rigging wires off there is nothing holding the wings on!

The rigging on a full size bipe has two functions:

1. To maintain the wings in place at the correct rigging angle.

2. To aid in transmitting the lift loads in the air and the inertial loads on landing from the wings to the fuselage. In other words to stop the wings flapping upward in flight, or bending downward excessively on landing 'impact'.

The 'functional' rigging on some models is only really functional in respect of point 1, some for both.

BEB

I was going to ask the exact same questions about my PT20 Ryan, but they have been answered

The late Dave Cruickshank had a 1/4 scale Stampe which I was priviliged to fly. He wanted to do just the same as Heinkel, i.e. give some scale looks. Mrs D.C. came up with the answer which is the same as suggested by Ultymate (cotton covered round sectioned hat elastic) and it worked very well.

They were secure in place by simple hooks & eyes - the elastic providing enough tension to ensure they stayed in place.

Here's a few photos:

Anchor points - just hooks & eyes.

Store the rigging on lengths of plywood and they will not get tangled up. That's Mrs D.C. watching - making sure I'm doing it right .

I think if you click on this one to enlarge it you will be able to make out the lines of the rigging.

Looks quite effective in the air.

Tim, that Camel looks so good, just like the real thing!

Tim the I/C guys at Greenacres have such an inferiority complex caused by us electric fliers being so much better, that every now and again they try to do something about it.

We can't be kept down though and more and more of 'em are asking for electric advice.

Heinkel, for really simple rigging that's just for show, some simple hooks with sheering elastic pulled between them is very effective. I don't have a proper photo but this might show what I mean. (Another of Danny's ideas in action)