Weather's getting a bit better, how much flying you getting in?

Advert

Had a few hours down the field the other day, but mainly been on the slope for the last few weeks - but tomorrow is club night and barby, and I have THREE models to maiden - so should be a busy old time.

Seagull Pilatus PC9 ( mk 2 )

Seagull Extra 300 ( had it 4 years, and only took it out the box to start "building" it last week.

E Flite Aeronca Champ - review model which has been sat here finished for months waiting on weather and cameraman

Hopefully have video of everything by he time I get home in the evening.

Fingers crossed icon inserted here.

Can't wait for the vids Tim if everything goes to plan! Hope you get the good weather for it!

Happy flying

Tom

Well done BEB, did you remember what to do

We got out late yesterday for some photography, perfect day thank goodness. I clocked up some more flights on the Seagull Turbo Raven that you'll see I've reviewed in the July issue - darn it, it's lovely I must say. I've wanted a good 6S model for a while now and I'm pleased to say I've found it. Got some video too so will hopefully have that up in a day or two.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 02/06/2011 08:47:28

Its sunny and 4mph winds today YESS! But the man i want to see is at work today and until Saturday. Plus the forecast says its going to be windy on Saturday Typical!

YAY! managed to get to the field today and got sun burnt! Unfortunately i took my bike so i couldn't fly that was a daft idea! LOL

happy flying

Tom

OK Bossman - heres a brief report on the three models maidened today.
All pictures courtesy of John Bowman.

1) PC9 mk2 - as did her predecessor - she flew her maiden with grace and style, and a five minute session resulted in just around 3000m/a consumed from its 5000ma pack. Two clicks of right aileron and she was hands off straight as an arrow - a lovely flying machine which certainly has presence in the air. The light wind was across our strip today, so nothing to slow her down on landing - she could really benefit from flaps or even an airbrake, as it comes trucking in ! Nose wheel failed to drop on second flight due to snapped metal clevis on servo rod...landed on mains and slid along to a stop with no damage at all.
Preflight prayers for good soldering and connectors

Prayers seemed to work

2) Next up was the little Seagull extra 300 - no pictures as yet. 2lb AUW, 350 watts, and duration on a 2.6 nanotech 3s lipo of approx 10 minutes.
Consensus after a mate flew her also after I maidened - servos need replacing with something better, one aileron is warped, suggested throws are silly small, and the 10 x 5 prop needs to go up an inch for a little more punch. However, overall...shes the makings of sweet little fair weather acro. Great VFM, sadly now discontinued I believe.

3) E Flite Aeronca Champ, well cant say too much as its subject of an upcoming mag review - but suffice to say, it came home all in one piece, and we need a sunnier day for some better pics. Maybe tomorrow

So three models taken and maidened, three models returned intact. Happy days.

Very nice Tim! Congratulations on the successful flights! Was your PC9 MK2 very expensive as i feel i must get myself one of those it looks fantastic, is it very aerobatic!?

Glad to see people getting flights in! Im going up to the field on Saturday but not to fly but to clean the field up abit before Warbirds day the following sunday. Should be good, LOL!

Happy flying

Tom

Nice one Tim. .
While you were out enjoying the flying ,i was mowing all three of our grass runways,but tomorrows met looks good,and i did sneak 15 Min's with the Lib 182 ,a nice relaxing flight after dealing with the green stuff.
The wind is up again for the week end ,wish we had an Orme on the door step . .

Managed to sneak out to one of the local parks with a mate for half an hour yesterday evening, a bit gusty but the Easy Cub managed it well, the place was deserted. We stopped flying when an officious little jobs worth came over to us and started driveling out some insane rubbish, didn't introduce himself, so I challenged him for his ID and took a photo of it with my phone. I'll check out the limit's of his authority later.

Doesn't look too bad today so might run over to the Derby Road Field and maiden the Fun Cub, see if Alan Dorrells about.

Chris.

Been quite breezy down on the Sussex coast lately, though nice and sunny most days, but quite a few guys out at the Hastings 1066 patch yesterday. Enjoying flying my J-Power Sky Surfer, and after a fairly short motor run it stayed up for ages using the wind - and judging by the seagulls around the plane it must have been a bit thermally too, as they weren't doing a whole lot of flapping to stay up there either!
Had a few succesful flights with battered and rebuilt PZ Decathlon - thanks to my flying buddy Steve for that, I'd given up on it - which despite being a bit small for a breezy day flew pretty well and landed OK too without undercarriage and no folding prop or prop saver, as the wind enabled a belly flop arrival from a foot or two off the ground. Not exactly text-book stuff, but it works

Thanks chaps. Tom, the PC9 is a snip I reckon, and if you shop around, the airframe ( with retracts ) can be had for under £200 - which I think is excellent. Obviously you need a powertrain and radio gear as well, but even so, a lot of model for the money.

Chris....the Champ may be available at a bargain price - if you're interested, PM me.
Im just off down the strip again now as the weather is glorious so should get all the pictures finished.

Cheers David - seems the 6mm bullets and triple checked soldering is the way to go

Today I have witnessed what could be an event of great significance.

I was privileged and fortunate to witness the first flight of a 2m electric all moulded model, before series production begins. Although from the same stable as a famous 100s glider and electric version, (which has won more competitions than I have had hot dinners) and owing much to the heritage, it is sufficiently different to be more than a mere rescaling. It buildis and has been developed on a life times knowledge of what makes a successful model, both as a design and in its construction.

It was a privileged and informative, that even famous and successful modellers display butterflies at the first launch.

To say the model is impressive in build quality and performance is so much an understatement.

Today has been really good so far

I am now thinking, can I save up enough to buy such a model, then I think, could I do it justice? Probably not

Posted by Big Bandit on 03/06/2011 11:21:30:
My flying mates off to Wales tomorrow lucky devil, said he would take a trip to the Big Rock on Sunday to see what was going on.

Chris.

This Sunday - Should be a few locals around, but the forecast is for the less popular ENE slope - and next Sunday we have the second of the seasons PSSA meets.
If he wants more info etc, PM me and Ill give you my mobile number.

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 03/06/2011 18:21:34