Weather's getting a bit better, how much flying you getting in?

Fingers crossed for this weekend. This is getting silly! First a month of wind, then a month of rain.
Let's hope for nice weather. The forecasting websites can't make their minds up for Saturday. It's either going to be great (8mph wind, lots of sun, no rain) or rather watery. I've had my latest plane for months now and flown it once (albeit had a few flights on that occasion)....

Advert

Managed to get a couple of hours this afternoon down here in sunny Herts. Just missed a couple of showers. Was feeling brave so put the Stick through its paces and managed to land off of the bottom of a loop (more luck than judgement possibly) after the engine cut!!

Now at work window shopping on the net

Andy

The weather looks great here in the East Midlands for Sunday! But ive heard that there was a big sun explosion, the biggest in 4 years! This usually brings rain i have heard . So sorry to disappoint but although the weather forecast shows nice weather it could all change because of this )

Happy flying

Tom

Posted by Big Bandit on 09/06/2011 17:03:40:

The week before we had a lull in the winds, drove off to the local park before they got back to none flyable levels, and got nabbed by the local Parky, It appears that there is a blanket ban on flying in local parks, but no notices, BMFA knew nothing about it, neither did the person Who works for parks and open spaces that I rang. But me and my old gas fitting mate got nabbed anyway.

Geriatric Hooligan, Chris.

I think I remember reading that unless they can show you the bylaw posted on a noticeboard that they don't have any powers to stop you - usual air law stuff about not endangering people etc. still applies of course...

I do not know about the rest of the country, but early morning up here in the North West was quite good, deteriorating as the morning progressed, with increasing wind, later came the rain.

Meanwhile at the field, a couple of Park zone Radians were flying, when I arrived. They were almost immediately were grounded, as the wind increasingly increased in speed. It was apparent that making their way upwind was becoming an issue, even under power.

We do have a number of Graupner and Multiplex clones which do handle the wind well. That is with a length of re-bar in the wing dowel.

My own model handled the wind well. I should mention that a member of the club found the Lipo which I lost and wrote about last weekend. He was (on Friday) retrieving his line from his electric winch, when he apparently fell over it, my Lipo. I must say I am very grateful, although I do have a battery on order from HK (£6 Rhino incl. postage).When I see him he will have my heartfelt thanks.

Now I must confess, I managed to shear the engine mount of on landing. Being lazy, I wanted at my feet landing and had misjudged my up wind turn. The model initially moving foreward well, as it hit the ground turbulence, it ground to a halt. A burst of power had it moving forward again,in a most satisfactory manner. I know was pushing the model down, when suddenly it nose dived and I broke it

I was feeling shame faced, that was until a fellow, good buddy, club mate, cartwheeled his model in landing. I am not sure if he kept the wing and tail assembly rotating truly perpendicular to the ground, but it was not bad

There was one unusual ornithological incident, as far as i am concerned that knows nothing about birds. One of the local Buzzards was over flying the field, when two crows took exception to its presence, and stared to mob it. The Buzzard continued on its way quite low down, when one crow lost interest and turned away. As quick as a flash the buzzard swung upside down, legs and presumably talons out. There appeared to be contact as the crow ceased obvious flight, becoming a ball shape, the Buzzard swung back into its flying path and crow, well, it swiftly flew of.

We all muttered as the first drops of rain arrived, noted the drought conditions, as we waded through the puddles from previous light showers

Edited By Erfolg on 12/06/2011 19:29:32

Edited By Erfolg on 12/06/2011 19:31:17

Had a great flight last night from 7pm to about 9:30pm
The wind was down which made the launch of the funjet alittle difficult I prefer the wind and a light throw and she is away. Funtana was a beaut to fly with low passes and rolls. Sky a picture with cloud to one side of the field and glorius sunshine to the other.
Today a complete wash out ...wish i had a boat or some floats at least!!!!!!

Yesterday was great. Flew for 7 hours with hardly a break. Flew my Britflight Breeze, my 450w Zagi (soon to be double that when I wallop the 4S pack in it) and my Kyosho Calmato Sports. It was a great day's flying. The three planes complimented each other really nicely so regardless of what type of flying I wanted to do next I had a plane at hand that would do it..... Low + slowwith occasional aerobatics with the Breeze, fast and scary with the Zagi or smooth and aerobatic with the Calmato. Today was terrible rained all day Oh well, I just have to appreciate days like yesterday when they arrive.
And at one point when I had the Calmato in the air the red arrows flew over in V formation after "doing" the Changing of the Guard. So I can now say I've flown with the Red Arrows! :D

Saturday had a run up to the field in Pete's model T ,conditions did not look to good but my stretched Spectra copes well in moderate winds ,so powered up to 600 ft and wow the lift was every were only used 800ma out of the 2.2 A LIPO,all aftenoon.

Chocolate the dog in the forground ,she is as good as gold on the field .

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 13/06/2011 01:53:09

Credit were credits due here is Pete with his own design 3M EP glider and model T .
Hmm he is taller than that 6ft 2 in fact .Ha... click on the pic and he is normal height .

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 13/06/2011 03:13:55

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 13/06/2011 03:16:19

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 13/06/2011 03:19:53

Up at 05:00 this morning, fitted gutter to the side of the house, by 06:30. By 07:00 hrs my zip scaffolding was down and at the rear of the house.

At 08:30 plasterer arrived to re-pebble dash the bay and part of front of the house. My role was to put on an electric supply and hosepipe for water.

At 09:00 had gone to the paper shop, gone home to have breakfast.

At 10:00 hours I was at B&Q buying Masonry paint and garage door paint, as demanded by my wife and had of course got my 10% discount, for geriatrics, that is, over 60's. Where did the years go?

At 12;00 hours the afternoon was my own. The sun was shining, a bit overcast, but warm. The rain promised for 07:00 hours had not arrived, not a sign.

So at 13:00 hours I had a model in the car, explained to the good wife where I was going, who hummed and ha ad. I explained that I had worked hard for this "me time". The "great ruler" relented, and I was free to go.

So by 13:15 I was at the field, model assembled. Cow fence removed from gate, climbed into the field and I manly strode to the launch site or point.

By 13:20 I had launched, all does not seem quite right yet with my new ESC. I have a Turnigy Blue Programming Card, set for brake on, hard start. Yet initial throttle advancement has the motor coming to life as a soft start, thereafter all seems normal with the throttle and the prop is spinning. So all is still not well, Grrrr!

By 13:30 I was under a big heavy cloud, that looked as it could swallow my model up, but revealed rain. Lots of sudden rain. I prudently landed rushed back to the car, got wetter as I reattached the "electric cow fence". I was now thinking what had happened to the render coat, was it on, would it be washed of?

By 13:40 I was back home, no sign of rain, sun shinning briefly at least.

So my hard won and fought for "me time" had gone. As I type the plasters are getting wet clearing up and I now must get wet to get in the washing. My wife is lunching with the girls, so it is all down to me again.

Edited By Erfolg on 15/06/2011 15:21:31

Nice day here in terms of sky and sunshine - quite warm too. But very gusty and variable wind. It not only changes strength suddenly it keeps swing round as well! So, no flying.

Had hoped to get the day on the WebBit repair - no such luck. Spent most of it hunting for a particular bike my son wants for his 18th and the rest of the day trying to sort out a virus on my daughter's laptop. Ho hum, I do love being a Dad!

Still tomorrow is father's day - and my son's birthday. So we're all off to Weston Park then a slap-up celebratory meal on the way home in the evening. I might even get a little something from the traders by way of a father's day gift from my devoted children...one never knows - or should that be - one lives in hope! Maybe if I give them the money they will buy me a present? Mmmm, now there's a thought.

BEB

Saturday 19th at Loch Tay. I arrived at the site and within three minutes decided Avon SSS was needed, the little blighters were hungry. Yep MIDGES. Flat calm and not cold, The keen guys were flying already, just as well 'cos the rain started not long after and just got heavier as he day wore on. Back to the campsite and later the BBQ with the Gazebo over the smoky thingies, the smart lads stretched a tarp over rope to keep the hungry dry. The day ended well.

Sunday 20th at Loch Tay, I arrived again, bit different though, the day was NICE. A good turnout with lots of flying and not a lot of damage. Even the rescue boat guys had enough to do . When pack up time arrived some of the Pilots thought we were finishing early, they had been enjoying the day so much they had not realised the time had past so quickly.

ps, the remnants of the barbie got eaten after getting an Ali foil re-heat.

• 2 weeks later...
Tuesday was my third visit to the Bowland Forest Gliding club, with my good wife. The previous visits ad all resulted with cancelled flights, the first time a little windy withe a cross runway wind, the second rain and mist.Yesterday was perfect 12 knot wind, straight down the runway, clear sky, high clouds, brilliant sun.

I was a little surprised to find out my wife was a little morwe than apprehensive, as was I. Having arrived early, we found our place in the que as numbers 1 and 2. I graciously offered my wife to be the first, she insisting it should be me. I won, and was scheduled second.

There were three planes, two ASK 13 and one ASK 21 (a glass ship).

When it was my turn, which was a rather short two minutes after her departure. I signed my life away. Had a parachute thrust into my hands. Questioned about remembering the pre-flight briefing. Which I confirmed I could remember in crystal clear clarity. Yet thinking, I can remember it being a video and the biscuits were nice.

Now I did not know how heavy a parachute was, it seemed a ton in weight. Incredibly difficult to get into, even with lots of help. At this point, I did think, should I be doing this, it must be dangerous and how do you get it to work?

Taking my place in the cockpit, I was even more concerned about how small the area was. Even if i knew how to get the parachute to work, I was not convinced that this was a place you could get out of in a hurry.

With the canopy closed, the instructors words were far from re assuring to a born coward. There will be a sharp jerk as the winch starts to haul us up, the initial climb will be very steep, there will be a a lot of wind noise. At the top, you will here a loud clunk, the glider will appear to stop, the noise will have stopped. If you then feel you want to go back let me know at any time. Is that all OK?

By know I felt as sitting waiting for one of the world famous white knuckle rides to start, the kraken, Manta Ray etc.

Suddenly we were moving, all was great, this was a real joy. This is no white knuckle ride, this is how it is meant to be a, a thrill yes.

Of we went to Parlick hill, for a 20 minute joy ride. At one point we looked down on two RC slope soaring wings, one was yellow, the other?. Looked like the sort which are raced. On we went, gaining height in ridge lift, then turning this way and that. At one point I was encouraged to try a turn. My God, aren't they sensitive on the aileron, but masses of rudder required. I know because I was told more, more rudder etc. I was more than a little surprised how steep the turns are. Worrying when I apparently was making one, quite normal when the instructor was doing it all.

As they say all to soon we turned for home.

The landing was such a not event. These guys make it seem so easy.

My wife wants me to give up RC models, join the club and she wants to go too.

In fact, I never have had so many thanks for taking her anywhere, and she would not have missed the experience for the world and can we take lessons.

Hi Erflog,

Glad you enjoyed it, there's nothing really like it for pure enjoyment is there. One of the most satisfying sensations is when the variometer starts to sing sometimes it's like being in a lift. I've not been doing any for a while now, what with one thing or another, but I must get started again. My local club is Husbands Bosworth which is an old WW2 grassed airfield and only a 15 minute drive from home.

When ever I go it's with a few mates and I think it's about £65 now for the day, and that includes temporary membership for three months and insurance, which means that you can go over in the summers evenings and take some winch launches for very little cost (about £10 a launch and a few pence a minute)

We all get a tug during the day, the rest of the time it's lazing about around the caravan talking aircraft. They have a couple of Super Chipmunk tugs so the launches are always from about 2000 feet and flights can be along as you want to stay up providing there's lift about. When things at home settle down I'll have to go again.

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Big Bandit

The costs quoted by the Bowland Forest Gliding Club are significantly lower than your local club.

I understand the low cost and very friendly atmosphere and attitude of the members, is a consequence in that all are expected to do their bit, to help in running the club and its operations. Also the winch launch is a low cost method of launching.

What was a breath of fresh air, was a practical and thorough approach to safety. None of the bumptious and extreme approach to risk and safety. I guess it is called being professional, and not jobsworth and all that implies.

Dependent on future events I am seriously considering full size gliding. I suspect that I am a little to old to ever go solo and health may become an issue, as i age. I do regret not experiencing gliding much earlier.

Erflog,

Your never too old, If you can can do it go for it I'm sure you wont regret it. I doubt whether I'd be allowed to fly solo again after my heart attack last year, and only wish I'd kept it up years ago after my gliding course with the ATC. In saying that the odd session now and then with a few mates suits me as I can do it when ever I feel like it and I have too many other things on the go to commit myself to regular sessions.

At Bosworth they do have an old Sedburg which I would love to fly again, but it never seems to be out of the hanger.

Cheers,

Chris.