Weather's getting a bit better, how much flying you getting in?

Advert

Sunny with light winds here today, wife gone out so charge some batteries & Tx then away to the field! 5 of us there this morning, all commiserating about recent winds & rain. I took 4 planes and flew them all including my WOT4 Foam-E which has only had about 10 flights since I got it in June. Brilliant, love it. Only mod is to move the ESC forward so that it gets some cooling from the cowl air scoop. The ESC used to get hot when it was in the battery compartment. We spent about 1/2 hr getting someones' plane out of a tree (successfully) but apart from that flew most of the time, great. We just have to take full advantage of good weather.

Had a good day with Terry down at Lalbenque yesterday.

Upper 20's, sunny and a variable breeze saw plenty of flying and used a whole box of batteries with my Decathlon, Druine Akrobat and Rainbow. Terry weighed in with his WOT4, new Cessna 185, Fournier and Elektro. I think he's cracked it........

Must say I enjoyed the coffee and Jesuits............don't ask, I just ate 'em!

Best thing of all was returning with no structural repairs to contemplate...

Here's the squadron:

Bit too warm to get out today - up to 31C and the same for tomorrow.......

Only kidding - I feel for you guys with the lousy summer you've had - but looking forward to next week when it will be down to the mid-20's - much more comfortable......

Pete

What an amazing feeling, standing casually on the flight line without leaning into wind with models flying steadily and simply responding to stick inputs instead of being continually corrected...

I feel so sorry for those unfortunate individuals who wake up day after day to cloudless blue skies with fluffy cumulous and gentle breezes who can't possibly know the simple pleasures of a day without gales or rain

Terrific afternoon at the club today and a decent turn out - but there was a definite nip in the air and the light started failing not long after 6. Oh well, there's always next summer to look forward to and the occasional crisp winter's day amidst the gloom and grot!

Posted by Martin Harris on 15/09/2011 23:34:25:
What an amazing feeling, standing casually on the flight line without leaning into wind with models flying steadily and simply responding to stick inputs instead of being continually corrected...

I feel so sorry for those unfortunate individuals who wake up day after day to cloudless blue skies with fluffy cumulous and gentle breezes who can't possibly know the simple pleasures of a day without gales or rain

Ha ha, if only, Martin! Last time I was down there, it was vertical take-offs and landings....

The club has a nice 100m tarmac strip, laid 90deg to the prevailing wind.........and we had the breezes at all points of the compass yesterday. It was always a race to avoid a tailwind on take-off - and you never knew at which end you'd be landing!

Pete

A nice overcast day today but dry and only a few gusts about. Off with SWMBO to the club this pm. SWMBO is beginning to show a real interest in the black art of defying gravity and the art of post crash deliberation and debate (should I be worried?).

Had 3 LiPo's worth in the Wot4 Mk2 Electric Balsa practising a few basic aeros and trying to land on our newly painted centre lines! Still really enjoying this plane so much and feeling rather guilty about all the reservations I expressed during its build regarding COG and weight. It flies great! Treat yourself!

Similar flights with my new SF/Jamara Cessna 185 and really relaxing to fly. I got it to fly over the back of my house in the neighbours field because I don't trust myself to fly the more 'dangerous' planes there. It's now really well sorted out and I intend to put a little blog and review on the forum soon re the build and the things to be sorted out when I get time!

A 20 minute flight with the Graupner Elektro Junior also filled a gap this pm but no thermals!

3 planes out - 3 planes back home - no repairs!! Result!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
yesterday...we had gale force winds and this morning we have had heavy rain....enrico the foreign lad was away on a trip to do some DS with his squadron...he came back with a couple of battered members....in his pursuit for speed......iv'e seen him on and must admit it is impressive....his latest aquisition is a 'higgins F20'....

ken anderson ne..1. ......DS dept.

Sunday and Monday just past, I really would have liked to have had a quarter of the summer just just like them. T-shirt warm, nearly flat calm, and DRY. Tuesday had forecasts in the mid teens of MPH wind with gusts of thirty plus.

Well the single gust was stronger and lasted for twelve hours. Just a little of the wet stuff. Now that is VERY unusual.

All the best to the folk who got the Fort William type rain.

I really hope that the Balbedie Club has good weather for the Halloween Fly-in this weekend. I have nowt new to fly, but hey who needs new We, being herself and me, will enjoy all the crac, cans and drams, and fireworks on Saturday. Update on the weekend will arrive next week.

Panic, Blackhorse Bravo, Flair Passion, and a lot of,,, Ben Buckle "Novice". The last diesel power of course.

Breezy day at Nomac. Had 4 flights - 3 with the E flite Extra 300 - flying is ok but landing is a bit of a lottery game.. Finally no damage (well designed plane...)

And I did my UK debut with my good old conversion Extra 300S - which was 1 year in a box. The tires (a Graupner foam type) have both a flat bit - I tried to get it in shape with a hot air gun but I think I have to invest into new ones. Should have thought of that and taken them off. On the other hand other planes in the box don't show this problem, for instance the Angel 50 which is in the same size class.
The engine felt very stiff and I could feel some "grainy" effect just as a bearing has gone. As thisis a cheap Chinese OS copy I decided to try it - and after a few minutes running it was fine again. Runs as before the removal, even better as I used a 12% nitro fuel from ALS. Don't know what kind of oil they use, there was practically no oil on the plane (The setting was not too lean...)
Looking forward to Sunday - the wind should ease a bit.

A bit breezy today but reasonably mild. Last Saturday when I flew, I resorted to flying with my fingerless gloves on - first time they've been used since about March. At least it was a bit milder today. But both Saturdays have been the sort of blustery day that makes you appreciate the calmer days - when we have them!

Last Sunday I spent the afternoon at my local slope, may do the same again tomorrow. Though looking at the forecast maybe today would have been the better day for the slope, with tomorrow better for power? Well, I was in two minds as I set out for the strip this afternoon and had the glider with me just in case...!

The thing about living in Oklahoma, is you have to learn to fly in the wind and land in cross winds. Only about 6 mph this morning, so decided to maiden the rebuilt SIG Wonder and more importantly, the super new Hangar 9 F4U Corsair 50, fitted with an ASP 91 FS. Beautiful plane, very well built and quite tame for a warbird (see review just added).

I normally try and fly every weekend and some times during the week. I reackon I get about 5 -7 good flights in per week, but recently the winds have been over 30 mph, so had a 2 week break to service engines and fix those little things. Flying is pretty much all year round, so no 'proper' winter build period to do this.

Tomorrow looks good, only 3 mph until about 11, so I'll get some more air under the Corsair's wheels I think, at least for a few hours.

Ah well, there go the clocks so that's it for the evening flying now

Managed to pop down the patch yesterday. Weather hasn't been very special down here in the last week, very gloomy but we saw some sun yesterday so the Seagull 2000 glider saw more flights using a new power system and the Sundowner 36 got a good wringing too

Aye all is well up North.

A group of us met at the field, bringing our collapsible chairs, as we absorbed the last of the vitamin D that may be seen for some time.

We discussed flying in warm weather as if some mythical fable that never happened, lamented the demise of "Tripe and Onions", wondered when the hunt for Black Puddings would commence?

Oh we did have some magnificet flights, finding thermals in clear blue skys.

Weather is due to be bad in the next week, so me ant wif, weal get tram, and vencher ta Bury for a stock of pigs hocks for our pea soup.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 06/11/2011 18:43:52

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 06/11/2011 18:44:46

I did not get so much vitamin E - it was drizzling until late morning but the wind was better than yesterday and went down to 5 or less in the later afternoon. Had a lot of stick time, mainly with my Extra which got new round wheels.
Can only show a static picture - didn't find a photographer
Just to give an idea of the weather

Well - to be honest this was in strong backlight.

now it looks more like it was

By the way - this is a very nice semi scale heli based on a Trex 600E
Cheers VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 30/10/2011 21:07:30

Time the header was changed,,,like the clocks. Since it was started it has not worked well for me, the getting better bit. It is still pea down weather or is that stretching forum rules

Just back from Balbedie MFC's Hallowe'en Flyin, the runway spot on, the rest very soft 'n mucky. Civillised rain, only at night, bit draughty at right angle to the strip made for interesting take of and landing antics. For them as do not know the site the runway slopes away from the pilots box at right angle to the line of flight, and with the wind from behind over the hill,,,,interesting. especially at 25-35 mph.

A great weekend guys, Ta.